Shampoo spilled and dried on car seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter spilled hair shampoo or conditioner, on the car seat and did not notice. It appears to have soaked in and dried.

Oddly now when I feel the area it feels like there is a 1.5" metal disc just under the seat fabric. I assume dried shampoo that soaked through. It's slightly off center.

My plan is to use a normal carpet extraction machine. I am hoping I do not need to take the seat cover off, if thats even possible.

Since the product has dried it might be faster to amplify the soaking step.
A pass or two of puffed steam before extraction might not be fast enough.
Fold a washcloth to the size of the disc you described and keep it soaked for a while before utilizing the extractor "as normal"?

What do you think of that idea? Kira

Considering modern cars can have computers in the seats, I would caution against powerwashing. You can indeed remove the seat covers if necessary, but it isn't all that fun.

Obviously shampoo is water soluble, so I don't think you'll have a problem getting it out. Another detailer's trick is to re-apply the exact same thing that spilled, then quickly clean it up. Again, probably not necessary, I suspect water will work.

I would soak it with a hot wet rag for a minute or 2 then carpet cleaner machine or shop vac.

Douse it down with rubbing alcohol and suck it out.

First time I've ever used that word on the internet.
laugh.gif

http://grammarist.com/spelling/douse-dowse/

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Douse it down with rubbing alcohol and suck it out.

First time I've ever used that word on the internet.
laugh.gif

http://grammarist.com/spelling/douse-dowse/

Is shampoo/conditioner soluble in alcohol? Maybe that cheap 50% rubbing alcohol.

Still think hot water would work better.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Is shampoo/conditioner soluble in alcohol? Maybe that cheap 50% rubbing alcohol.

Still think hot water would work better.

Anything water soluble is going to be alcohol soluble, but alcohol leaves no trace and evaporates quicker. I use it for everything; it's my go to all-purpose cleaner. I prefer the 70 percent stuff because it gives me more wiping time than the 99 percent stuff; plus, it's less likely to harm plastic than the 99 percent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back