Storing String Trimmers Without Leaking..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I store my String Trimmer(Weed Wacker) vertically with the engine at the top and it leaks gas. Is there a correct way to store it so it doesn't leak?

I store mine (and all similar tools, like ice augers) horizontally with the carb up. A slight incline is good too, but most are designed with a bit of incline anyway if you lay them down, perhaps via a handle. Also this type of tool is usually designed so that the vent in the fuel cap will be air-dry if you store it that way.

Carb will always leak gas so it has to be the highest fuel-accessible point; they have necessary passages open to the atmosphere.

I don't "get it" it's designed to operate vertically but when storing it vertically....it leaks.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Find the leak it shouldn't do that.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I don't "get it" it's designed to operate vertically but when storing it vertically....it leaks.

When your using it the fuel doesn't get a chance to leak out, it's being burned...

There is a leak somewhere, need to find and fix it.

A friend (who tinkers with small engines well) and I have concluded the E85 gas eats clear tubing parts and causes leaks.

We've found bits of clear rubber (crumbs) in fuel jets which stops the machines in their tracks.

Mine hangs vertically also, with the engine end up. I've never had a leak when it's stored like that.

Originally Posted By: Kira
A friend (who tinkers with small engines well) and I have concluded the E85 gas eats clear tubing parts and causes leaks.

We've found bits of clear rubber (crumbs) in fuel jets which stops the machines in their tracks.

No offense intended, but who in their right mind would be putting E85 in a small engine, particularly a 2 cycle engine?

I'll admit that I learned the hard way, but even 10% ethanol is hard on 2 cycle engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Mine hangs vertically also, with the engine end up. I've never had a leak when it's stored like that.

Originally Posted By: Kira

No offense intended, but who in their right mind would be putting E85 in a small engine, particularly a 2 cycle engine?

I'll admit that I learned the hard way, but even 10% ethanol is hard on 2 cycle engines.

Dang, yikes. E85. I try to avoid E10 if I can!!

To respond to as many of you as I can:

1) I'm not in my right mind. But then again, how would I know?
2) I just learned about finding straight gasoline for small engines. Is BP or Sunoco premiums 100% gas?
3) My weed whacker is a 4 cycle Honda.
4) Storing the spool of string in water? As in under water completely? Why, to keep it from drying out?

Thanks Kira

Its probably a bushing on the fuel tank. Fix it.

Some ope gets oily/slimy regardless. My echo blower always has an oily residue on the bottom though I can't get any fuel to leak even turning upside down, shaking, etc.

Of it's an echo they had some trouble with the has tank grommets going bad for a few years. Some had a recall on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back