Fukushima to release radioactive material in ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
The solution to pollution is dilution...???!!!??...

Solar powered electrolysis would slowly concentrate it to make the stored quantities smaller. Those who are against could set up a go fund me campaign to put money where their mouth is.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Sensationalism, the material released is not harmful

People hear "radioactive" and they become hysterical because they don't understand that there are different types of radiation and that the dose is important. The anti-nuclear energy people will never have their minds changed because science is hard so they prefer to remain willfully ignorant.

One of my best friends is a nuclear physicist who works at LANL and specializes in medical physics and nuclear proliferation. The anti-nuke zealots will even try to argue with him despite their significant knowledge gaps. Enviro-mentalists literally trying to tell a PhD in that field how radiation works based on their wikipedia-level knowledge. It's absurd.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarcS

People hear "radioactive" and they become hysterical because they don't understand that there are different types of radiation and that the dose is important. The anti-nuclear energy people will never have their minds changed because science is hard so they prefer to remain willfully ignorant.

One of my best friends is a nuclear physicist who works at LANL and specializes in medical physics and nuclear proliferation. The anti-nuke zealots will even try to argue with him despite their significant knowledge gaps. Enviro-mentalists literally trying to tell a PhD in that field how radiation works based on their wikipedia-level knowledge. It's absurd.

For some people, "feels > reals". LOL

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: MarcS

For some people, "feels > reals". LOL

I'd say most people. Nowadays no one wants their beliefs challenged. They're content just to find another "information" source that confirms their existing biases.

Expertise is dead in the digital age. Everyone is an authority on everything.

I think the knife cuts both ways in the era of multiple source "news"...knowledgeable persons on both sides often will not be representing the truth. All you have to do is follow the TEPCO presentations with the Japanese government and organizations that are not particularly pro or con regarding nuclear power...there will be conflicting information that's potentially serious but yet doesn't rise to the level of "clickbait" hysteria.

And at the release rate you might find one molecule per cubic kilometer in the ocean They are releasing less than 1 gram..total!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The solution to pollution is dilution...???!!!??...

Solar powered electrolysis would slowly concentrate it to make the stored quantities smaller. Those who are against could set up a go fund me campaign to put money where their mouth is.

One of my instructors once taught me that. It's true. Doing a harbor spill calc in training, even for a higher-level rad spill, resulted in less than background levels (calculated) after diluting into JUST a small volume of water.

This is a tritium "spill"...nothing to see here, folks...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Good General reading for those interested.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057633/

and one on hormesis...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477686/

I know you have tongue in cheek here. There is no real scientific evidence (such as peer reviewed papers) from the USNRC, US Academy of Sciences, etc.. The same people that come up with these theories are partan parcial of the counter theories of the forbidden topic on BITOG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back