Next bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking-though not immediately-about another bike. One obvious choice is tbe 650 Burgman Executive. The other is one I only found out about recently: the 2004-08 XL1200R, or XL883R. Yes, that is the early Sportster Roadster. Anyone famiar with them?

My SIL has one and I've ridden it a few times when visiting. They are stylish, well-built, reliable. My only real criticism is size; it feels too small to me. For a few scoots around town it's fine, for longer rides or highways it feels lacking. It depends upon how you want to use it, how big you are, how confident and experienced a rider you are, and where you want to ride it. All of these variables play into choosing the right machine for the rider and situation. We don't know what they are.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have been thinking-though not immediately-about another bike. One obvious choice is tbe 650 Burgman Executive. The other is one I only found out about recently: the 2004-08 XL1200R, or XL883R. Yes, that is the early Sportster Roadster. Anyone famiar with them?

Very different choices. Curious why those? The Sporster has style, the Burgman practicality. What are your goals?

For the Sportster I guess I'd be inclined to go with a fuel injected model, excluding the earliest years of your range.

The guy I do most of my motorcycle trips with has been riding the same 2007 Sporster for 10 years. Reliable like anvil, and he likes it. TBH if I were looking for a used Sporster, I'd probably end up buying a Buell. Different strokes and all. A few years ago I really wanted one. My needs are different now, and they're getting older, and it's getting less likely.

Hope you find something you like.

The XL883R was introduced in 2002. Last year in the US was 2007.(with EFI)

The engines are rubber mounted after 2004.
2004 1200s got new heads and higher performance "W" cams.

2005 was the last year for straight cut gears in the transmission.

2006 the 1200 R got a black engine.

In 2007 the Sportsters got EFI. Slight difference in the heads and intake manifold for EFI.

The 2008 XL1200R came with the 4.5 gallon gas tank. Earlier ones had a 3.3 gallon.

More Sportster info here: http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/sportster_history:start

If I were looking at a Sportster, it would be the 1200. As for choosing between a Sportster and a Burgman scooter, as was mentioned, it would be tough to find two more disparate choices.

Admittedly I have Moto Guzzi on the brain lately but take a look at the V9 Bobber or V9 Roamer, some deals out there and a unique looking bike with decent specs, and ... it's Italian ...
cool.gif

Bobber:

bobber_2016_08.jpg

Roamer:

v9_Roamer_Bianco_Classico.jpg

Not if it was free. The reason I am considering a Sportster is ease of service...one reason I have zero interest in a Guzzi.

Originally Posted By: David_g

Very different choices. Curious why those? The Sporster has style, the Burgman practicality. What are your goals?

My last motorcycle...something I can ride for 20 years. At least one multi-thousand mile trip every year.

Quote:
For the Sportster I guess I'd be inclined to go with a fuel injected model, excluding the earliest years of your range.

Only got efi in, IIRC, 2007...while I'd prefer it, I can deal with a carb.

Quote:
The guy I do most of my motorcycle trips with has been riding the same 2007 Sporster for 10 years. Reliable like anvil, and he likes it. TBH if I were looking for a used Sporster, I'd probably end up buying a Buell. Different strokes and all. A few years ago I really wanted one. My needs are different now, and they're getting older, and it's getting less likely.

Hope you find something you like.

No interest in a Buell. One reason a Sporty interests me IS tbe reliability.

If there are early years of that range pre-injection, definitely shop for one WITH if you budget allows.

I have a pre-injection evo Dyna, and my brother and dad have FI Ultras. I have ridden the FI models and spent 10 days on one once on a 4,000 mile trip (Heritage Softail c. ~2001). It's worth it.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
If you want reliability buy a Japanese bike. Yamaha has been the most reliable as of late. A Harley is not exactly "reliable" in comparison to a Japanese bike. Likely the Guzzi would be just as reliable if not more so than any HD. No diss on HD but they are not bought for reliability..they are bought for the image.

I am guessing you don't own a modern HD? I really, really like Hondas and own more of them now and over the years, but I've had no reliability issues with any HD I or multiple family issues have owned. I do more maintenance on them, but a big part of that is because they are easier to work on and more fun to do so IMO. I've also owned a Moto Guzzi in the past and this issue of "reliability" is a bit overblown.

Not if it was free. The reason I am considering a Sportster is ease of service...one reason I have zero interest in a Guzzi.

Guzzi's are very easy to service, unless you mean dealer network density in which case.... yeah. I agree there. Few and far between. But Guzzi's are notoriously easy to DIY on, including the big stuff like valve adjustments.

I've owned many bikes over the years. My last bike was an Aprilia Shiver 750 I bought new. The bike was a piece of junk brand new under warranty. On more than one occasion, it broke down during the riding season and it took weeks to get parts.

I'm no fan of Harley's, but I don't disrespect those who ride them. The one thing Harley has going for it is long term parts availability by the manufacture and in the aftermarket. Harley reliability wouldn't concern me at all.

If I were to start riding again, I'd buy a Honda VFR1200X with the DCT automatic.

If I was wanting a Harley to go touring on, it's be something like a Street Glide. There isn't one bike perfect for all riding conditions.

I would take a small step up to a used Dyna. The Dyna is the lowest cost Harley available with the Big Twin. You should be ale to get one for around 6 to 7K. FI, and the odds are the PO has already farkled it and is selling it for a good price. I've had my 09 Superglide for just over a year and it has exceeded my expectations. PO added a two up seat, passenger backrest and luggage rack, Rush baffled slip ons, Windshield, chrome fork lowers, chrome belt guard and chrome sprocket cover etc....! It's getting ready to trip 32,000 miles and I've only had to replace the rear brake light switch. It doesn't leak or use oil and I change the oil around every 3,000 miles using Valvoline Vr1 conventional. I've ridden it 10,000 miles in just over a year. Rode to Rolling Thunder in D.C. in May, 800 miles total and was very comfortable. It's a Harley and shakes at idle but smooths out nicely at speed. I'm planning on checking the cam chain and cam shoes this fall. I gave $6,000 for it, so a used Dyna won't break the bank.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Jarlaxle said:
Guzzi's are very easy to service, unless you mean dealer network density in which case.... yeah. I agree there. Few and far between. But Guzzi's are notoriously easy to DIY on, including the big stuff like valve adjustments.

Of course the valve adjustment is easier on a modern Sportster--since it's not a maintenance item.

Oil change is easier on an old Sportster, since you just need to keep topping it up...
28.gif

My last motorcycle...something I can ride for 20 years. At least one multi-thousand mile trip every year.

If they're 1-up trips, and you enjoy riding it I expect the Sportster would be a great choice.

The only one I've ridden is an Ironhead, and it probably wouldn't be my choice for touring. I'm sure the rubber mounted Evos are much smoother. I know the Buell XB12 is, as well as having razor sharp handling and what I thought were great brakes. But if you value reliability more than that stuff, like you said, it may not be the bike you're looking for.

FWIW on my trips with Sportster rider friend He's always on the same bike, while I've brought 4 different bikes along so far, and later this year may bring a 5th--depending on whether I take my Africa Twin, or the R1200R I took on our 2015 trip. I've put in more miles over that time than him, but he's put in more on a single bike (~75k, vs 57k for me), and doesn't tire of it. Those bikes definitely work for some.

How tall are you?

I would love to be able to live with a Sportster but alas, at 6-5 that is not an option for me.

Have you looked at the Kawasaki Versys 650?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back