Ford F150 question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

What are some of the least costly things I can do to get more power out of my 2000 F150 with a 4.6 liter V8?
It has 110k miles
auto trans
ext cab 4x2

are you after horsepower? or torque? and what rpm range. an F150 is heavy for 4.6; so I imagine that you are after more torque. a different cam might be a possibility. be aware that camshaft profiles are designed for target rpm ranges.

Sell it and buy something with more power.

The 4.6 in this truck is not easy to cheaply increase power on.
Long tube headers and a tune can do a little. Gears will help it feel like it has more power. Once you start getting internal, the price goes up a lot.
You could install a blower, but that is not cheap since you need new injectors, a tune and multiple other little things that add up fast ($5000+ doing it yourself).

Sell your truck and buy a Chevy/GMC with a 6.0.
Skip the CAI, loud exhaust, headers, a gear change and other nonsense that might make it get to 60 MPH in 10 seconds vs 10.1 seconds. It's still gonna be slow.

The 4.6 is known for reliability not raw HP. Good market for used ones because they run forever but not molested used ones. Sell it and get a bigger motor such as a Hemi or 5.0.
Mess with it and you ruin it's value, spend alot of money and hurt it's reliability.

How much difference will a cat delete and appropriate muffler make.
I often wonder what to do if the factory cat and muffler go bad.

The thing is that you are prolly desiring something that will get moving better, rather than higher speed on the freeway ...

It's to late a model to do much with a converter because it's a lock-up ...

Most cam changes only do more above 3,500. You need more below that.

What is your budget? What size are the tires? What does this truck do all day long? Is it a weekend rig, or a working truck?

Last edited:
Since you mentioned torque converter, I wonder if you can use a stock v6 converter for more stall. I know that many people do that with Chevys.

I have a lawn business,and I pull a trailer 3-4 days a week. Will those enhanced plug-in computer chips help?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The thing is that you are prolly desiring something that will get moving better, rather than higher speed on the freeway ...

It's to late a model to do much with a converter because it's a lock-up ...

Most cam changes only do more above 3,500. You need more below that.

What is your budget? What size are the tires? What does this truck do all day long? Is it a weekend rig, or a working truck?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I have a lawn business,and I pull a trailer 3-4 days a week. Will those enhanced plug-in computer chips help?

No cheap add-on or easy to install mod will make big power. You are better off buying a heavy duty gasser truck which has the power and gearing to do what you need, all day everyday. The 4.6L in your F150 is good for occasional heavy work and isn't bothered by the performance in doing so. Now you are worried about the performance of the 4.6L in everyday heavy work and it's not cutting it.

Last edited:
My truck does just fine. I just want a little more power. That's all

4.10 gears will make it easier for you to haul those mowers.

Just dont expect gas mileage to stay the same.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The 4.6 is known for reliability not raw HP. Good market for used ones because they run forever but not molested used ones. Sell it and get a bigger motor such as a Hemi or 5.0.
Mess with it and you ruin it's value, spend alot of money and hurt it's reliability.

Great post!

so is a kn filter and flowmaster muffler a total waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back