Michelin Defender tire noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone have Michelin Defender tires and find them noisy? My daughter had a set recently put on her 10 Yaris by Discount Tire and then a second set but still complains about the noise.

I put a set of 265/70/17's on my 4Runner last week to replace the OE Dunlops. I've run the various iterations of these same tires for twenty years on several trucks and these might be quieter than any of the others. I put 1700 miles on them camping through BC, and at times I thought they were nearly silent.

Some roads are noisier than others.

I would think a 2010 Yaris isn't a particularly quiet car anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler

+1

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: drtyler

+1

Mega dittos!

Maybe you should drive the car and see if the noise could be a wheel bearing on it's way out.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Maybe you should drive the car and see if the noise could be a wheel bearing on it's way out.

Very sound advice
smile.gif

I have heard/read the these new Michelin Defenders can be noisy. IDK what people are comparing them to as most Michelin tires that I've had were quiet.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Very sound advice
smile.gif

Thank you kind sir gentleman.

Both Defender models, old and new have been reviewed with positive comments about being quiet.

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michelin-defender-t-h-reviews/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michelin-defender-reviews/

If another set of tires is traded out, I would go with the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. My brother has those on his Camry and they nice and quiet. It like an entirely different car and it had Michelins before that.

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring-reviews/

Last edited:
Noisy Michelin Defender tires should be redesignated as Offender tires.

Yeah, my career in stand-up didn't fare very well.

Michelins are the greatest tires in the world. They are quiet...don't dry rot, and are cheap.

They can't possibly give you any issues.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Michelins are the greatest tires in the world. They are quiet...don't dry rot, and are cheap.

They can't possibly give you any issues.

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

My Michelin Defenders are quiet. I have 3 vehicles wearing them.

As others have suggested, best for the OP to drive the car and listen for a mechanical issue.

If her old tires were nearly worn out then they will have been quieter than any new tires...and very likely have gotten better fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: 007
Anyone have Michelin Defender tires and find them noisy? My daughter had a set recently put on her 10 Yaris by Discount Tire and then a second set but still complains about the noise.

Is it possible your daughter's Yaris has an alignment issue that is causing the tires to wear funny?

The Yaris has a rear camber spec of almost 1 degree. My experience is that anything over 1 degree tends to generate irregular wear (and noise).

I have the 195/70-14 size on my Cavalier. They are noisy on asphalt roads, not so bad on concrete. They were pretty quiet the first 15,000+ miles or so and then started to get loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back