2017 Focus RS - Castrol 0W40 - 4,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is my latest UOA. Notes around this OCI - Normal commuter miles + 1 auto-x day. Previous Oil was the FF which should be Motorcraft 5w-50 but looks like it sheared down way too much. Refilled with Castrol 0W40 as it seems to be a pretty robust oil and is doing a great job on my car.

OvLYZOQ.png

Nice breaking-in.
Oil still serviceable, OCI could be extended beyond 6.5k miles.
Thanks for sharing.

Nice car...nice oil...

It's a lucky guy that gets to 'commute' in a new Focus RS....

Calcium 2400 on factory oil and Castrol 0W-40 ! Fords aren't into Dexos1 second generation.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Nice car...nice oil...

It's a lucky guy that gets to 'commute' in a new Focus RS....

Thanks! I should note that even when I am "communting" this car gets driven pretty hard.. It's really hard not to, this thing is just way too fun. Of course, always obeying the speed limits and looking out for the safety of others.

I think Castrol 0W40 is pretty underrated and under-used around here, not sure why, as it is a stout oil with great mfr. certifications. Hoping to shed some more light on this oil and how it keeps up with further OCIs.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Calcium 2400 on factory oil and Castrol 0W-40 ! Fords aren't into Dexos1 second generation.

What do you mean?

Nice OCI. My only comment is that I'm surprised the viscosity dropped from 13.2 (est) to 11.27 in only 4500 miles. That's more of a shear than the other thread with M1 0w-40 FS in a BMW with 4,000 miles (11.6).

The Castrol Edge 0w-40 is confusing me. I had always assumed ALL the major mfg 0w-40 A3/B4 oils were basically high calcium, little to no magnesium. All the VOA/UOA's I reviewed proved it. It was that way a couple of years ago. I did some detailed searches for Castrol UOA/VOA's on the 0w-40 and the recent ones showed a change from high calcium/low magnesium to medium calcium/medium magnesium (500 ppm). I purged my recent Castrol Edge 0w-40 purchases because of that.

Now I see that the OP's fresh UOA shows high calcium/low magnesium. It doesn't make sense. In going back to recheck those UOA's/VOA's, many or most are gone as they were photobucket links. I guess I will just remain confused. Castrol has shifted back and forth on magnesium oils in their 20/30 grades. I can only assume they also do this on some higher grades.

With Blackstone, it is difficult to determine whether a viscosity loss is due to shearing or fuel dilution. I don't trust their interpreted number for fuel and I don't think I trust their number for flash point either.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Nice OCI. My only comment is that I'm surprised the viscosity dropped from 13.2 (est) to 11.27 in only 4500 miles. That's more of a shear than the other thread with M1 0w-40 FS in a BMW with 4,000 miles (11.6).

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
What do you mean?

Not clear what he is trying to say, is it? Clear communication is better in these forums. Wish everybody would learn that.
Just that dexos1 Gen2 specs have a low speed, high load, pre-ignition (LSPI) test which is usually solved by using mostly overbased Mg detergents instead of the Ca detergents we see in the 0w40 and 5w50.

Originally Posted By: wi11iam

What do you mean?
There is a big thing about Calcium causing low-speed pre-ignition . Seems that Ford is not worried that much.

The Castrol Edge 0w-40 is confusing me. I had always assumed ALL the major mfg 0w-40 A3/B4 oils were basically high calcium, little to no magnesium. All the VOA/UOA's I reviewed proved it. It was that way a couple of years ago. I did some detailed searches for Castrol UOA/VOA's on the 0w-40 and the recent ones showed a change from high calcium/low magnesium to medium calcium/medium magnesium (500 ppm). I purged my recent Castrol Edge 0w-40 purchases because of that.

Now I see that the OP's fresh UOA shows high calcium/low magnesium. It doesn't make sense. In going back to recheck those UOA's/VOA's, many or most are gone as they were photobucket links. I guess I will just remain confused. Castrol has shifted back and forth on magnesium oils in their 20/30 grades. I can only assume they also do this on some higher grades.

I'm sure they have a very good reason for this. Same as a Valvoline using sodium and organic and non metallic additives. I'm not worried about using Castrol oils

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive result for only 7k miles on the engine, and it's a really nice car. Enjoy!

I had a chance to test drive the RS for a week, it's really fun except the seats, they are a little bit narrow for my butt (6'1" 230 lbs).

Originally Posted By: dgunay
I had a chance to test drive the RS for a week, it's really fun except the seats, they are a little bit narrow for my butt (6'1" 230 lbs).

Most people in the Toronto, Niagara area are pretty fit. Time to eat better, exercise and lose some weight.

People have been noticing a lot of VII shear in Motorcraft 5w50 oil over the years.
Seems the Castrol Edge 0w40 is a good choice in the RS.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: hatt
Quote:
and which one maintained viscosity better
Viscosity retention may not be a plus in Ford applications. Looks like Ford wants the oil to quickly shear.
Ford should have recommended an Xw-40 oil then.
smile.gif

They did. MC 5w-50. It appears to only be a 50 from the bottle to the oil fill.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dgunay

Most people in the Toronto, Niagara area are pretty fit. Time to eat better, exercise and lose some weight.

Although I am slightly overweight, the problem is not the size of my butt. I felt pretty comfortable with other sports car seats, except this one. I guess I miscalculated my weight, thought 100 kg (glad we use KGs like the rest of the world) is equal to 230, but actually I am 220
smile.gif

I agree with you though, I do biking every weekend to keep my weight in control and I ride 40-60 miles a week.

Originally Posted By: car51
I'm sure they have a very good reason for this. Same as a Valvoline using sodium and organic and non metallic additives. I'm not worried about using Castrol oils

I'm sure Castrol knows what they are doing. My comment was to the point that it appears the oil additive package has changed 3X in the past 3-5 yrs...and is back to what it was several years ago. I just don't understand that. And I can't buy it, if I don't know what's going to be in it.

I'm sure Castrol knows what they are doing. My comment was to the point that it appears the oil additive package has changed 3X in the past 3-5 yrs...and is back to what it was several years ago. I just don't understand that. And I can't buy it, if I don't know what's going to be in it.

So by your statement you feel that you are more capable to predict the future performance of a motor oil based on a $30 analysis than is the well-established major manufacturer?

It meets the specifications listed on the PDS, right? Which one of those do you think is compromised by you not understanding their formulation chemistry?

Great UOA, and nice car. You're right about EDGE 0W-40 being an underrated oil. It has all the major Euro certifications and is one of the few PAO based oils left. Plus it's a steal at $23 a jug. You could really use it in just about any car. I wouldn't bother with the 5W-50. It's a totally different oil and inferior if you ask me. It doesn't have any of the "stringent" certifications (euro), and it has a terrible pour point (plain-jane group III basestock).

Originally Posted By: kschachn

So by your statement you feel that you are more capable to predict the future performance of a motor oil based on a $30 analysis than is the well-established major manufacturer?

It meets the specifications listed on the PDS, right? Which one of those do you think is compromised by you not understanding their formulation chemistry?

I don't have to understand their formulation chemistry....just know which of the 3 basic add packs they are using. I have no problem identifying the high Ca/low Mg add packs that M1 and PP 0/5W-40's have been using for at least 5 years...and that's what my cars have been on for years....which is why I want to stay with that chemistry. Nothing wrong with being consistent on the add packs you use.

Fwiw, the PDS on Castrol's website doesn't identify which add package they are currently using for each grade of oil. If it did, things would be a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back