will going up a curb bend a tandem axle trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding on my trailer that the driver side rear tire seems to wear more than the other tires, like big time. Makes me wonder if it's due to the time I went over the curb slightly backing into a customers driveway with about 4.5 yards of mulch on the trailer, so the whole rig probably weighed 5,000 pounds. That particular tire went way up into the rim when I backed into the driveway. I know on tandem axle trailers, you have that piece in the center of the two tires that the leaf springs connect to, so I wasn't worried and thinking oh it was just doing what it was designed to do, but I've always thought since then that that particular tire looked to have a little bit of negative camber compared to the front tire on that side, but it's hard to tell since they do that anyways whenever the trailer turns.

Opinions? Do you think most of the weight on that side went on that axle? It has two 3500 pound axles and I can't remember if it lifted up the front axle on that side when I went over the curb I think it came close, but not quite.

bust out the level, take hub off and measure and see what's level and what's not. could very well of bent the spindle, not very likely, but it could and does happen, i'd bet it's more of a turning wear than bent parts.
Get a large square, and on level ground see if it's out of square to the ground.

It's much more likely the axle is bent than anything else. If you have a tire with a consistent wear pattern-it is more likely the axle. Take to a shop that specializes in aligning axles. This could very well be a commercial truck place that does (big rig) commercial trailers.

NOT AN RV TYPE PLACE.

Curb hopping is a major source of throwing the alignment of an axle out. We all have done this-at one time or another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
It's much more likely the axle is bent than anything else. If you have a tire with a consistent wear pattern-it is more likely the axle. Take to a shop that specializes in aligning axles. This could very well be a commercial truck place that does (big rig) commercial trailers.

NOT AN RV TYPE PLACE.

Curb hopping is a major source of throwing the alignment of an axle out. We all have done this-at one time or another.

Doesn't take much huh? I've always thought 7000 pounds is a good bit of weight for the skinny 205mm wide tires they call for on these landscape trailers. Same scenario with travel trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
wonder if it could have broken some belts in the tire ?? or through the axle of its axis a little. ??or slight bend in rim.??

The axles will deflect, the 3500 pound ones on our company enclosed trailer are slightly bent, wearing out the inside of the tread faster than the outside. Company is cheap, cheap, cheap-I would have sprung for the 5K ones myself, they would quickly pay for themselves in longer tire life.

Awfully flimsy materials if it took going over a curve at idle speed to bend things. Why don't you get a 1.25 ton military trailer.
Charlie

Very easy to tweak an axle especially when turning. As has been suggested, don't go to a RV dealer for service on this, find a good spring/axle/frame shop that will work on trailers.

The tire is bald now, but it looked like it was wearing more about 1.5" from the shoulder on each side

on each side is turning wear or underinflated.
on one side is alignment..usually inside edge of tire(s)

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Awfully flimsy materials if it took going over a curve at idle speed to bend things. Why don't you get a 1.25 ton military trailer.
Charlie

Yeah-that would work....not all of us want to drive/tow around something as heavy as you do......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back