Sunthetic Oils according to Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a typo on Tig1 part. Lighten up folks
wink.gif

A sunthetic is basically a synthetic that has the beauty of synthetics minus the bronzer additives aka "tan in a can". I stopped by Walmart on the way home and bought some Coppertone 0W20 (spf 100+) for the Accord. Supposedly a pao and not a non-grp III pseudo synth.

automakers worldwide are moving towards ever thinner viscosity grades to support achieving higher mandated fuel economy requirements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A sunthetic is basically a synthetic that has the beauty of synthetics minus the bronzer additives aka "tan in a can". I stopped by Walmart on the way home and bought some Coppertone 0W20 (spf 100+) for the Accord. Supposedly a pao and not a non-grp III pseudo synth.
I think you had better check again. Everyone knows Coppertone 0W20 only has a 50 spf.

Last edited:

Nah, you mean it's M1 15w50 red cap :^)

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I think you had better check again. Everyone knows Coppertone 0W20 only has a 50 spf.

Haha yeah the 100+spf is only available in 20W50
wink.gif

Advertorial...nothing really of a technical bent, and the usual "same sized" molecule stuff that comes in advertorials.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Advertorial...nothing really of a technical bent, and the usual "same sized" molecule stuff that comes in advertorials.

But the same size thing does make a difference.

Originally Posted By: tig1

But they AREN'T the same size...we've been over this before...

https://www.google.com/search?q=molecule...913&bih=963

Originally Posted By: igs
automakers worldwide are moving towards ever thinner viscosity grades to support achieving higher mandated fuel economy requirements.

This is exactly where more $$$ can be made ........ by automakers and oil companies ...... from herds of sheep.
blush.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=molecule...913&bih=963

advertising bollocks...as we've been over..and over...and over...

How can a typical synthetic, being made of PAO4, PAo6, and PAO8, let alone mPAO, and then the GrIIIs have the "same size molecules"...they can't...

They aren't spheres, not logs, not stars...and certainly not spherical...

So why keep insisting on pushing the advertorials ???

Marketing targets the lowest denominator case...and builds the evidence up from there.

Originally Posted By: igs

This concerns me. What if a car that calls for 5w20 would actually get better protection and have a longer life running 10w40?

Who do we believe? From now on it's 5 quarts of 5 different weights of oil for me, just to cover all the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back