Recommend oil for a 01 Suburban 5.3 235K miles ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all new to the boards

as most of us on here, I'm a car guy and REALLY anal about what I put on/in my vehicles.
cool.gif

So at moment I drive a '01 Suburban 1500 5.3 2WD as a "Work truck" 50-100 miles a day

Currently live in Oklahoma temps are HOT down here

Been using semi syn since I bought the truck few years ago, Either Mobil 5000 10-W30 syn blend or Valvoline high mileage with either a Delco P46 or Purolator classic L25288 filter. I was lucky to score last year 10 Purolator classic white filters for .75 cents each at walmart during their flushout of Purolator brand filters lol !! Still have like 3 of them left

Now, I found Atwoods farm store and picked up 6 qt's of Harvest King Full SYN for $13 with tax !! And just did the oil change last week with a Purolator classic filter

Can I run this oil with this filter or recommend something else ??

Any help would be appreciated !!!

Dave

Last edited:
Nice deal on synthetic! While I don't know anything about that oil I would say it would be great to run in your vehicle. Even better deal on the filters. How many miles do you plan to run the oil for??

I am not familiar with that filter number. Is that a longer filter? I have always used a 14006 for my Avalanche. I don't know anything about that oil either, but it should be perfectly fine.

I have read some great stuff about that oil and some UOAs here back it up as a great product. Which grade did you get? 5w30 or 10w30? I would not hesitate to run it for 5k in that engine. If the engine is sludge-less, you could push it out to 8k without an issue.

For future oil changes I would advise you to try Castrol Magnatec in 5w30/10w30 flavors. Or, if your previous miles are not all highway, then some full synthetic MaxLife 10w30 would be a great choice. City miles and short trips wear out the seals a bit more, so high mileage additives would work great in keeping the leaky seals sealed.

For the filter get a Fram Ultra and change it every other oil change. Or if the engine is sludge-less, then every third oil change. Filter is rated for 15k miles. (or 20k now?)

Good luck and WELCOME to the forum!!!

welcome2.gif

Any full synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 will work great in your truck for the full OCI suggested by the OLM. However, Purolator's filters are poor quality. Use Fram or Wix instead
smile.gif

Welcome aboard!

Many here are not fans of the old white Purolator Classic filter. I had a media tear in a Purolator, many others have as well. You can run any of those oils with this filter, tears don't seem to care what weight or type of oil you're running.

You can switch freely between Syn blends and Syns (or conventionals for that matter). There are many old myths floating around out there (" have to get all the old dino oil out" and bunk like that.)

Many engines run Tearolator, but don't blow up for some reason. Possibly because the issue is overinflated on this forum. Yet I do remember a couple reported engine failures from cardboard filters crumpling up and blocking oil flow. But most of those case involved 10wXX oil and colder climate...

I read a Virgin Oil Sample report on harvest king full syn other day & just found it. I live in OK as well. I drive 65-85 miles a day back and forth to work into OKC traffic almost as far as you do. Castrol GTX HM & Edge have held up well in this climate with stop & go traffic on I-44/I-35 in and out of OKC. Prior to the cars in the signature. I had a 04 Focus that ran GTX & then GTX HM with same drive. Ran great other than everything else but the engine needing to be replaced
grin.gif

Here is the VOA

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4227748/Harvest_King_Full_Synthetic_5W

Add pack isn't the best but it's $11-13 full syn and would get the job done

Magnatec I heard is Full syn now and $17 bucks. Phillips 66 shield is semi and good stuff. Replaced Trop-Artic. Used to be found in farm stores as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMguy84
I have run pureolators for years !! Never an issue with em

I guess i have been lucky so far ???

Dave

Its that you havent ever cut one open. A lot of media tears. Which means improper filtering. You may not have noticed any visible issues, but who knows the impact on your engine. Likely minimal but id rather use a filter thats built solid. I can agree on the fram ultra and wix, napa proselect, gold, or silver.

Have you replaced the transmission on the truck recently?
Id make sure to service the trans, i believe they were the weakness on those trucks. (I could be wrong, i dont know the specific years affected)

Last edited:
Ya good points on that, to help with sludge I do a "Seafoam crankcase flush" 3-4 times on year on it.

I can get a "Deal" on WIX 51042 filter or FRAM XG3506 at Auto Zone and Local Wal Mart has FRAM TG3506 at $4.50 each ??

And yes the 4L60E trans are WELL KNOWN for problems, Luckily for me haven't had any issues so far (knock on wood) and have put about 40K miles on the truck since I bought it in 2014. Few months ago, I did a trans filter service and gave trans guy a bottle of lucas transmission conditioner to help out and so far so good !!!

Dave

Small world lol. I live in Norman..... For now. Soon moving either to Dallas or back home to Chicago. Oklahoma isn't my "cup of tea"

For my current driving style. On slow work days it's mainly intown stop and go traffic, On busy days it's Norman to OKC I-35 driving.

Have heard allot of good things about Castrol oils, I think I used magnetec last year but I can't remember how I liked it ?? lol

Dave

I have about the same set up : 2002 suburban 5.3 : 210,000 miles. Honestly these things aren't very picky about oil. I change it every 5000 miles and run maxlife or Napa syn 5w-30, works great. If yours is a slapper I would stick with the 5W something. when I run the heavier stuff the slapping seems to last a little longer on start up. Btw a PF- 61 oil filter is larger and should fit just fine.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I have about the same set up : 2002 suburban 5.3 : 210,000 miles. Honestly these things aren't very picky about oil. I change it every 5000 miles and run maxlife or Napa syn 5w-30, works great. If yours is a slapper I would stick with the 5W something. when I run the heavier stuff the slapping seems to last a little longer on start up. Btw a PF- 61 oil filter is larger and should fit just fine.

Thanks and yes its a LOUD slapper on start up in the winter cold months. It doesn't slap now in the summer heat. I was told NOT to run 5W-30 due to the high miles ??

Ya I wanted to try the PF-61 filter, but I heard those don't have a ADBV and the delco filters are [censored] now ???

Dave

The Harvest King synthetic oils are made by Citgo and even have identical dexos license numbers (which I imagine means they are exactly the same as Citgo full synthetics.)

The older 'Rural King' brand oil, which is still available but being phased out, was made by Warren Oil of Dunn NC (not WPP).

From the few UOAs that I've seen, the RK brand had more additives than the HK brand.

While I think this synthetic HK is decent...I don't think it's an extended OCI oil....given the choice I'd probably run PYB for a similar price.

PS: There is a reason the Purolator 'Classics' were 75 cents...Classic J-U-N-K

In your case, 10W30 won't hurt anything, the clearances are loose enough that it won't matter. I haven't torn a Purolator myself, but others here have torn lots of them. If you can find any Bosch Distance Plus filters on clearance at Wal-Mart that fit it, that's the way to go cheap-I picked up 8 of them for my (older) GM applications (6.2 diesel & SBC).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In your case, 10W30 won't hurt anything, the clearances are loose enough that it won't matter. I haven't torn a Purolator myself, but others here have torn lots of them. If you can find any Bosch Distance Plus filters on clearance at Wal-Mart that fit it, that's the way to go cheap-I picked up 8 of them for my (older) GM applications (6.2 diesel & SBC).

Thanks for the heads up on the bosh distance plus, Local WM has em on clearance for $3.00 each !!!

I've seen these for as little as two bucks at some Walmarts.
I believe they had old GM parts numbers as well.

Thanks all for your help.

I'm gonna let this 10W30 FULL SYN oil do its "Thing" until fall/winter time and end of this month I'm going to replace the white classic filter with a WIX 51042 that I have laying around.

I might switch back to HI-MI semi syn oil, Gonna try again Castrol Magnatec 10W30 or 5W30 since I have that horrible VORTEC piston slap issue and it gets bad in winter COLD months

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back