Bought a Garmin today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee.....And I thought those were "yesterdays technology" and GPS programs in cellphones have taken their place.........

Originally Posted By: CKN
Gee.....And I thought those were "yesterdays technology" and GPS programs in cellphones have taken their place.........

Nevertheless....profi GPS device outperforms any cellphone GPS substitute...any time!

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Nevertheless....profi GPS device outperforms any cellphone GPS substitute...any time!

I prefer the phone GPS. Google does a much better job and the current traffic really helps. Garmin traffic is sometimes out of date so that the jam is gone by the time you get there whereas when you're on the phone, it's pretty much accurate, sometimes you can beat it by a minute or two by using the correct lane but otherwise it's spot on. The Garmin routing algorithm is also a little faulty, google does a better job. Although Garmin does beat out the built in navigation on the Mercedes, it's even worse, only thing the screen is good for is to display the map and street names. Only issue with the phone use to be that it takes so much power it would kill the phone battery, but then I got a Quickcharge 2.0 charger which is actually able to charge the phone and still use the gps at the same time.

I like that. 0w20 Mobil 1 is like brown sugar... It is good in everything
smile.gif

As long as you're in the big city they work fine.

I just got back from a 5,000 mile road trip and cell phone reception was very sporadic, and I would have ran through my data plan in no time.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I just got back from a 5,000 mile road trip and cell phone reception was very sporadic, and I would have ran through my data plan in no time.

^^^^This.

You can download the maps in advance when you're on wifi. Although for that long of a trip, not sure if you have enough space for all the map data.

I have a tomtom, the jeep 2017 NAVI, and android auto(google maps)

The android auto is the only one I trust.

The others I read the road signs etc as I'm getting close.

Recently the Jeep navi sent me on 3 wrong roads in cleveland(closed)

And had me going on the wrong road to get to the columbus zoo.

They work fine to get you close usually.. but android auto.. is basically perfect directions...at least here.

And android auto optimizes google maps much better than the stock google maps.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I prefer the phone GPS. Google does a much better job and the current traffic really helps. Garmin traffic is sometimes out of date so that the jam is gone by the time you get there whereas when you're on the phone, it's pretty much accurate, sometimes you can beat it by a minute or two by using the correct lane but otherwise it's spot on. The Garmin routing algorithm is also a little faulty, google does a better job. Although Garmin does beat out the built in navigation on the Mercedes, it's even worse, only thing the screen is good for is to display the map and street names. Only issue with the phone use to be that it takes so much power it would kill the phone battery, but then I got a Quickcharge 2.0 charger which is actually able to charge the phone and still use the gps at the same time.

You must buy model with bluetooth connection...and then you just pair it with your cellphone with garmin Nulink app...

Problem solved
wink.gif

TMC is yesterdays technology...even here over the pond...

Digital TMC is what you want!

Problem with inbuilt navi systems is that if you want to update your map...

First it cost you too much...

Second....it is too complicated...you often have to visit your dealer for that...

So many people just refuse to update their inbuilt navi systems....and then complain all the time how inaccurate they are
smile.gif

Garmin...you just buy lifetime license and you can do all yourself...

Last edited:

I made a trip through the mountains of Washington state with my son, and he was telling me how great his cell phone with a GPS app was. Right up until he lost his signal and my GPS was still working. You're right in a big city they work fine. I like the GPS as a back up when things go bad with the cell phone.

Problem with inbuilt navi systems is that if you want to update your map...

First it cost you too much...

Second....it is too complicated...you often have to visit your dealer for that...

So many people just refuse to update their inbuilt navi systems....and then complain all the time how inaccurate they are
smile.gif

Garmin...you just buy lifetime license and you can do all yourself...

Nope, even people with current maps are complaining about it. Mine also has the current maps and the routing algorithm is bad. I use it sometimes when I forget to bring my phone mount and I'm not going anywhere too complicated.

Oh, I forgot I had a garmin with bluetooth and Nulink. Didn't work right when I got it, bluetooth was flakey and Nulink didn't work right. Also I'm not sure the flakey directions would have improved. It's been a while so maybe if it's gotten better I'll give it another shot. But I think the basic problem was that Garmin didn't have as much traffic data than Google so the traffic on Google is much better.

The thing about the Garmin that really shines over a cell phone is the ease of using POIs. When in my motorhome, finding a campsite or nearest gas works so much better. With the cell, I have to use different apps, then input that info into Maps-too complicated and time consuming

I agree with this. Since I retired, I've been hitting the road a lot. I have Verizon which I think has the best overall coverage but there are still places with nothing. With no cell signal, no Google Maps. My Garmin keeps chugging along unless I'm in a deep forest or a building structure.

There are still a lot of us using flip phones and have no need for the techie stuff. My Garmin 750 works just fine when I need it. Most come with lifetime updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back