Sent an email to Chevron.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email to Chevron (Lubetek) last night to see if i could get the HT/HS numbers for there HM oils as these are my current fills and favorites. When checking my email this evening i had received a reply. I am very happy with the results. As follows:
I am an avid user of your Havoline products and would like to know the HT/HS numbers for your Havoline product line. In particular the Havoline High Mileage 5w-20

- 2.8 cP

and 5w-30

- 3.3 cP

. These are the current fills in my wifes Honda and my Chevy truck. I have been unable to find this information and would like to know if you could supply this info.
Thank You,
TC

Michael A. Freeman
Lubrication Engineer
CLS, MLT II, OMA-I
[email protected]

Along with a kv100 of 8.8 and 11.8 respectively for 5w-20 and 5w-30 this i think makes for a stout oil. Oh and TBN of 8.5 isn't too shabby either.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
OP, thanks for asking.

Chevron, good work giving a straight answer to a straight question.

That 5W30 with KV100 of 11.8 cSt and HTHS of 3.3 cP particularly catches my eye, most ILSAC 5W30's are about 3.0 - 3.1 cP, while most Euro A3 5W30's are 3.5 - 3.6 cP. So this HM oil nicely sits in the middle, a very good place to be. Give it a TBN of 8.5 and that makes it a good strong product.

Here is a link to the product PDF which states they are synthetic blends.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=486786&docFormat=PDF
SA = 0.9 %
Zinc = 880 ppm
Decent numbers for a modern GF-5 and SN oil.

Yeah I agree SR5. A 3.3 HTHS is a good middle ground compared to a thinner offerings and thick ones. I wonder what percentage of synthetic is actually in this new version? I would be willing to bet about 30-40%.

They also could be using their IsoSyn technology, which I believe is an heavily processed Group II+ base. It's used a lot in the Chevron Delo synblend HDEO's. Just guessing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
OP, thanks for asking.

Chevron, good work giving a straight answer to a straight question.

That 5W30 with KV100 of 11.8 cSt and HTHS of 3.3 cP particularly catches my eye, most ILSAC 5W30's are about 3.0 - 3.1 cP, while most Euro A3 5W30's are 3.5 - 3.6 cP. So this HM oil nicely sits in the middle, a very good place to be. Give it a TBN of 8.5 and that makes it a good strong product.

Here is a link to the product PDF which states they are synthetic blends.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=486786&docFormat=PDF
SA = 0.9 %
Zinc = 880 ppm
Decent numbers for a modern GF-5 and SN oil.

SR5, these are the results i was hoping for. As you state, right down the middle not too thin and not too thick. I am pleased with this oil and plan for it too be my go to for awhile. I don't really need the "seal conditioners" as i have no leaks. This oil is lending to no usage in either vehicle, both dip sticks at full mark. bbhero, I would have no idea as to the synth content but 30-40% would be a good amount.

Last edited:
OP, what distance are you doing on this oil in your cars ?
It should be able to easily go 7,500 miles.

At this point I am changing the Colorado out at 5-6k and the Honda is running by the OLM, going between 6.6 and 7k miles. I would be willing to try 7.5, but no without an UOA somewhere around the 6k mark.

It may well be they are using their Isosyn group 2 oil in it. Given that they are mentioning on the front of the label it is a synthetic blend now I would bet it would be about 30 percent.

Yeah the Havoline HM 5W20 has a KV100 = 8.8 cSt and a HTHS = 2.8 cP
While M1 HM 5W20 has a KV100 = 8.6 cSt and a HTHS = 2.7 cP for comparison.

So Havoline HM is definitely a thick 5W20 oil, I would probably give the nod to M1 for low Noack volatility, as this seems to be a M1 strong point.

But if you need a 5W20 for warranty but you want an oil at the thick end, the Havoline HM would do the job nicely.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

At this point I am changing the Colorado out at 5-6k and the Honda is running by the OLM, going between 6.6 and 7k miles. I would be willing to try 7.5, but no without an UOA somewhere around the 6k mark.

Sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back