11' Ford F150 5.0 oil consumption, timing chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2011 F150 with 5.0L coyote. I bought it with 55k miles on it, changed the oil first thing with a motorcraft filter and royal purple 5w-20 full synthetic (factory recommended oil weight). Checked oil shortly after first change maybe 1500 miles, and it was a quart low. Added more oil. Went through 2 more oil change cycles both times had to add around a quart of oil. After that I put an oil separator on the pcv lines and the consumption decreased from a full quart to less half a quart or sometimes even less. The truck now has 79k miles, I don't drive it every day often sits for 4 to 5 days a week. Now probably 1 out of 5 times starts after sitting the timing chains will slap where the tensioners aren't holding. Would swapping to 10w-30 help any of these issue or make them worse ? Also thinking of swapping to amsoil full synthetic.

Last edited:
I have a neighbor who had a '12 F150 with the Coyote engine. About the same mileage as yours too. His started fouling a spark plug and had lost compression in one cylinder. He traded it for an EcoBoost before it got worse. Good luck finding your culprit!

Just use some decent oil and don't use these gimmick fancy boutique over-priced.

Then determine what the oil usage is.

I just asked my neighbor again about his former F150 with the Coyote. He said it burned a little bit of oil too. Just 2 cents

I'd go with a quality 10W-30 synthetic right off the bat.

I believe there is a TSB on tensioner related timing chain noise on your engine.

I keep mentioning that these ultra thin oils are fantastic at certain things. But cylinder wall lubrication and timing chain life is not ideal with thin oils. There is no magic to chain life. Particulates will cause pin wear. And the oil's viscosity is directly related to film strength and thickness. So, more frequent oil changes and a higher viscosity may be warranted. Chain manufacturers will often specify a 30 viscosity oil or higher.

GM got tired of replacing chains under warranty, and changed the oil life monitor to a far more normal oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: tig1
a mechanical issue present before you bought the truck.

Like, bad metallurgy in the steel of the timing chain links?

Poor heat treating?

First the Tritons were lunching spark plugs and had bad valve timing actuators,and now the 5.0 isn't any good? I think sticking with the base V6 unless you need the extra power is always the best choice.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Wasn't 2011 the first year of the Coyote? Maybe that has something to do with it?

My dad has a 2011 as well and hasnt had a issue. The engine runs runs smooth and quiet although Ive only put 5w30/0w30 in it other than a couple times. He bought it with 90k and it has 160k miles now.

I too have heard many good things about the coyote.

I'm still waiting for the 5.0 ecoboost. Prolly 500 hp and something ridiculous for tq in an F350

My source: SWAG and some math. 365/3.5 = 104.29HP/L

For 5L * 104.29 = 520ish. And knock off a bit just because.

You could probably tune it and throw on an aftermarket exhaust and break 700hp easy.

Ok my take ..... I have a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 with 24,000 miles that will drink a quart every 5,000 miles of any brand and weight of off the shelf synthetic if I wind it up driving it around town. If I drive it totally on the highway the car will not use a drop of oil. This is not uncommon if you read on the mustang forums. In 2013 the 5.0 Pistons and all the rings were changed to a different design it seems there were issues with the 2011-2012 models by no means all of them.

I would ditch the Royal Purple the guy who lives next door to me is a Subaru WRX nut! He and his friends mess with there hot rod Modded WRX cars every weekend in the summer. A few weeks ago we had a big oil talk and several of them had issues with oil consumption running RP oil. All of them switched to other brands Shell, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil and one guy running Motul. Some running 30 weights the rest running 40 weights.

Most Mustang 5.0 guys seem to graduate to a 5 or 10w30 if they do extensive reading on the forums and seem to care. The exception is the track pack 5.0 cars running the recommended 5w50. I now use only Valvoline Synpower 5w30 since it seems to idle better on it then all the other synthetic oils I have tried.

If it were my truck I would run Valvoline Synpower 5w30 and give it a few oil changes and see if the consumption improves.

There is a TSB 11-9-15 regarding the left chain tensioner. It applies to vehicles made before 3/30/11 I believe. I'm with those suggesting staying with a more standard oil until you get it diagnosed.

Sorry, but yours is most likely a mechanical issue present before you bought the truck.

Maybe on the tensioners but not on the consumption, there is no smoke of any kind and a friend of mine who works at my local ford dealer and is ase master ford tech did leak down tests on all 8 cyl and found no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Ok my take ..... I have a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 with 24,000 miles that will drink a quart every 5,000 miles of any brand and weight of off the shelf synthetic if I wind it up driving it around town. If I drive it totally on the highway the car will not use a drop of oil. This is not uncommon if you read on the mustang forums. In 2013 the 5.0 Pistons and all the rings were changed to a different design it seems there were issues with the 2011-2012 models by no means all of them.

I would ditch the Royal Purple the guy who lives next door to me is a Subaru WRX nut! He and his friends mess with there hot rod Modded WRX cars every weekend in the summer. A few weeks ago we had a big oil talk and several of them had issues with oil consumption running RP oil. All of them switched to other brands Shell, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil and one guy running Motul. Some running 30 weights the rest running 40 weights.

Most Mustang 5.0 guys seem to graduate to a 5 or 10w30 if they do extensive reading on the forums and seem to care. The exception is the track pack 5.0 cars running the recommended 5w50. I now use only Valvoline Synpower 5w30 since it seems to idle better on it then all the other synthetic oils I have tried.

If it were my truck I would run Valvoline Synpower 5w30 and give it a few oil changes and see if the consumption improves.

Thanks for the helpful reply, I'll try running a 5w30 for a few changes see if it improves, I've ran RP in my 04 mach 1 with no issues since 5k miles when I bought it to 75K miles now and doesn't use a drop. I'll look into some different brands on the coyote, its never seemed happy with the RP.

Pp 10w30 is awesome.
My expi does not drink that.
I had oil consumption issues with the expi.
1 quart per 700 hwy miles.
Did nothing to expedition but switch to qsud and pp.
Pp is the best. Qsud is not far behind.

Originally Posted By: fordkid
Sorry, but yours is most likely a mechanical issue present before you bought the truck.

Maybe on the tensioners but not on the consumption, there is no smoke of any kind and a friend of mine who works at my local ford dealer and is ase master ford tech did leak down tests on all 8 cyl and found no issues.

That's great if the compression is good on all cylinders and if you're down to half a quart make up oil per oci, that seems reasonable. I guess how reasonable depends on the length of oci.

Someone here posted a uoa from their F150 5.0 using Pennzoil Platinum and mentioned that the engine "drank" it, whereas other brands of oil were fine. Then, another member recently said their 5.0 didn't use any oil running PP. It just seems some engines react differently to certain oils and maybe it varies by batch or something. If you continue using RP, you may find that the usage declines even more.

FWIW, I bought mine this year with over 81k miles and just now hitting 5k miles on my first oci, and so far the oil remains on the full mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back