Automobiles vs Mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some MC. Oil filters that I quit using because they are Purolators.
That said in mowers that are from say 30 to 37 HP gas engines I'd like to run a 910s to 100 hours. Just to see if it tears.

Questions is. Does a lawn mower engine create more or less strain on a oil filter than say a normally aspirated Engine like you would find in say a Ford Fusion etc??
Both car and mower operating in the same climate.
I plan to use a FS. 15w50 oil.

MC may be built by Puro, but they're built to Ford's specs, and are good filters, especially the FL400s and FL910s. I've cut open many of these, and never found a problem. Run yours on your car.

The top oil pressure in Briggs and Kohler small engines are ~40 PSI.
Not sure about the Kawasaki units. Most Japanese auto and cycle mfgs
seem to like 70 psi pressures.
Then to, the low hours you are talking about might be even less stressful
on the filters.
The 'tears' might be a result of extended pressure (time) and
wide fluctuations of pressure and flow on the average auto/truck engine.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
MC may be built by Puro, but they're built to Ford's specs, and are good filters, especially the FL400s and FL910s. I've cut open many of these, and never found a problem. Run yours on your car.

Yes they are the stars of that line. I have plenty of Ultras for the car.
If the 910 holds up it will be a nice cheap mower filter. I always liked the look of them.
Now the 820 filters have been junk.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The top oil pressure in Briggs and Kohler small engines are ~40 PSI.
Not sure about the Kawasaki units. Most Japanese auto and cycle mfgs
seem to like 70 psi pressures.
Then to, the low hours you are talking about might be even less stressful
on the filters.
The 'tears' might be a result of extended pressure (time) and
wide fluctuations of pressure and flow on the average auto/truck engine.

My 2¢

Thanks for the information!!!
I wonder if mower engine temps could be harder on the filter since I mow large properties and not small lots. Those filters get scalding rather quickly on the mower.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

While I agree the FL-400 and 910S have a good record and have not had issues like the FL-820S, I know I have seen at least one of them (400/910S, don't remember which one) with a tear in the same spot as other Purloators.

The fact is Purolator filters have gone to poop, and they have failed to respond or fix the issues for years. The only Puro made filter worth a darn are the Bosch Distance Plus (which I am not sure who sells anymore besides Amazon). Other than that one, Puro made filters are off my list.

Mower engines run a lot hotter than cars. 250-280 is typical on a mower vs 200-210 in a car, so not sure if high heat is hard on an oil filter. This is a great question though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I thought so.
Like you said they get hot and if you touch the filter it will burn you good. I can imagine a 100F degree day mowing for hours with no air at all- heavy humidity and no breeze like we had the last few days.
Especially if you are a maintenance pig and don't even keep things clean with a leaf blower.
We'll find out soon I guess
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Mower engines run a lot hotter than cars. 250-280 is typical on a mower vs 200-210 in a car, so not sure if high heat is hard on an oil filter. This is a great question though.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I think the 910S with a synthetic ADV is a good thing though (if the ADV is needed). Nitrile does not like heat and would probably harden pretty quickly.

Many OPE engines (like my 21HP Briggs) have a pump that pumps the oil through the filter, but the engine is splash lubricated. I have used MC FL910S filters for years in both my Briggs engine and my car engines. To date none have had a problem.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Sounds to me like an oil cooler would be a huge benefit to a mower.

My JD Ztrak with Kohler commercial engine has a cooler for the engine oil. On a hot day oil goes in the inlet approximately 250 degrees and comes out 225-230. It is a small cooler and there isn't a great deal of airflow over it.

I have dual oil coolers as well as part of the oem package,
I did the surgery this am. The Kohler filter as usual was crushed on.......
Ain't they all. Luckily I have a great setup for that nonsense.
The FL-910s looks good and I do like the fact that it does have a SADBV......
Even with oil coolers the filter gets HOT quickly especially in these humid no breeze days.

Napa 15w50 went in and all is well. This AM I took 3 hours off the mowers OLM- now it reads 97 hours until the next oil change. This zero turn has electronic displays and a real OLM as well with a nag screen. The only bad thing I can say about Napa is their quart bottles are THIN.............. really thin
wink.gif
No leaks but crazy thin.

I can't tell one ounce of noise or smoothness difference at all between the OEM FS T6 5w40 brew and my new 15w50 FS Napa and noises are one thing I'm good at. The T6 that came out was darn near new looking. I think it would be a good choice as well for most commercial mowers.

Quote:
Many OPE engines (like my 21HP Briggs) have a pump that pumps the oil through the filter, but the engine is splash lubricated. I have used MC FL910S filters for years in both my Briggs engine and my car engines. To date none have had a problem.

Your posts give reassurance for sure. I have been using MC filters from the very early days but the 820s versions were bad from my own experience- multiple times. Yes the FL910s looks really good as always. Even if I ran it to 50 hours and it looks good after the cut I'd have no problem using them. I never like to go 100 hours on the oil but the maker suggests that so I may just give that filter a work out. 10K miles on a car ain't no cake walk- so 100 hrs should be easily doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back