Oil/filter for 250k Prius, hills & city driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Prius that just hit 250k miles. Just paid for the traction battery to be serviced (not totally replaced), so want to make sure the engine lasts as long as possible.

Have been using Dino 5w-30 at Valvoline Instant Oil Change every 4k for the 40k I put on it, don't know anything about previous service. I drive mostly city & suburban miles, lots of hills, very hot & humid. I'm not much of a leadfoot and I do a fair amount of idling with the AC on (which in a Prius mostly runs off the traction battery but the car will restart in order to charge it back up). Have noticed that the engine makes more noise under acceleration than is normal for a Prius (still quieter than non hybrids).

Am interested in doing my own oil & filter changes using quality products (so I assume this means an 0w-20 synthetic). Would also like to extend the interval between changes, if prudent. So, what oil & filter combo would you recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:
The OEM filters work great. You can get them off amazon for 4.20 a piece if you buy in 10. that is what I did on my last prius and I have 6 left. If you were near me id let you have them.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Hot and humid. Hill driving. 250k miles. Sounds like your Prius is a perfect candidate for Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5w30. You'll thank me later.
Yeah this sounds like what I would do, with an OEM filter. Except I'd use the factory specified viscosity and see if any oil is lost. If no loss, stick with the factory spec.

Any modern GF-5 5W-30 synthetic will be far better than what it's been running on. I'd find the cheapest jug at Walmart and run that. Prius engines aren't picky and don't need any special kind of protection that a more powerful engine would.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Any modern GF-5 5W-30 synthetic will be far better than what it's been running on. I'd find the cheapest jug at Walmart and run that. Prius engines aren't picky and don't need any special kind of protection that a more powerful engine would.
If this is the 1.5L, then they are known to be quite oil burners, and need a bit of a specialized oil to fight that. Read: High Mileage.

Prius 1NZ-FXE engines have very frequent start-stop cycles.

Conventional wisdom holds that most engine wear occurs at startup.

So wouldn't a very good, properly specified, easily flowing oil be the right choice?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

So wouldn't a very good, properly specified, easily flowing oil be the right choice?

I was trying to get across that any modern GF-5 synthetic will be a big step up from dino, especially in terms of cold-flow. Something like Castrol Magnatec would be a good fit in terms of performance and value.

would just like to say correction on the wisdom is more specifically cold startup.

The warm startups are not something thst makes a significant wear factor

for the op, id say the oci on dino is too low. if you go by that it is fuel consumed not miles, then a high mpg vehicle should be easier on the oil so 4k is overkill.

especially considering your mileage thst indicates a over average used car which is also easier on the oil. and then as a hybrid the engine is often running in a more efficient mode and not just the primary power source. so thats another point for easy on the oil.

but whatever makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigPoppa
I have a 2006 Prius that just hit 250k miles. Just paid for the traction battery to be serviced (not totally replaced), so want to make sure the engine lasts as long as possible.

Have been using Dino 5w-30 at Valvoline Instant Oil Change every 4k for the 40k I put on it, don't know anything about previous service. I drive mostly city & suburban miles, lots of hills, very hot & humid. I'm not much of a leadfoot and I do a fair amount of idling with the AC on (which in a Prius mostly runs off the traction battery but the car will restart in order to charge it back up). Have noticed that the engine makes more noise under acceleration than is normal for a Prius (still quieter than non hybrids).

Am interested in doing my own oil & filter changes using quality products (so I assume this means an 0w-20 synthetic). Would also like to extend the interval between changes, if prudent. So, what oil & filter combo would you recommend?

Thanks

During your 40k on 5w-30, was there any oil use?

I would use Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30 and a Toyota 90915-yzzF1 genuine oil filter. I find it to be a very fine oil and "quiet" if there is such a thing. I used to use it in mine. The F1 filter is the slightly longer but otherwise identical filter to the F2. Makes is easier to change having the extra 3/4 inch in length. The transaxle oil should be changed using genuine Toyota WS fluid. Every 60k is what I would do, and what I do. It's a little trickier than the engine oil but not that bad.

By your mileage, these engines usually drink a ton of oil. How much oil consumption do you see? I have yet to see a Gen2 Prius that does not drink at least a 1-2 quarts between oil services.

Also, it is unfortunate that you elected to service your traction battery instead of replacing it. You will surely be replacing it within the next 1-3 years. The money would have been better spent towards a new replacement. How much did you pay for the "service?" Was it done thru a franchise similar to "the hybrid shop?"

Originally Posted By: The Critic
By your mileage, these engines usually drink a ton of oil. How much oil consumption do you see? I have yet to see a Gen2 Prius that does not drink at least a 1-2 quarts between oil services.

Also, it is unfortunate that you elected to service your traction battery instead of replacing it. You will surely be replacing it within the next 1-3 years. The money would have been better spent towards a new replacement. How much did you pay for the "service?" Was it done thru a franchise similar to "the hybrid shop?"

I install grid chargers on all of my hybrid vehicles that I have owned ( 7 so far) and think it is one of the best things you can do for your hybrid, so depending what his service entailed andn if he was already experiencing problems yet or not before the service. Hybrid like to be driven daily

Originally Posted By: raytseng

would just like to say correction on the wisdom is more specifically cold startup.

The warm startups are not something thst makes a significant wear factor

True that...

and warm, with a positive displacement oil pump, 0W, 5W, and SAE30 make zero difference in "flow" to repressurise galleries.

Traction battery: car went into limp mode after CEL. ODBII gave indication of primary battery failure. Instead of replacing the entire battery (which is very expensive), I had a guy pull the battery, test the cells, and just replace the ones that needed replacing for 20% of the cost.

Car has been burning some oil. Forgot to mention that. Around 1 quart between 4k oil changes.

The engine cycles on and off all the time, but is obviously usually already warm.

Other than the 3 way coolant control valve going out (common problem from what I've read), it's required nothing but oil changes and new air filter since I got it. Time for new rubber very soon.

Originally Posted By: BigPoppa
Traction battery: car went into limp mode after CEL. ODBII gave indication of primary battery failure. Instead of replacing the entire battery (which is very expensive), I had a guy pull the battery, test the cells, and just replace the ones that needed replacing for 20% of the cost.

Car has been burning some oil. Forgot to mention that. Around 1 quart between 4k oil changes.

The engine cycles on and off all the time, but is obviously usually already warm.

Other than the 3 way coolant control valve going out (common problem from what I've read), it's required nothing but oil changes and new air filter since I got it. Time for new rubber very soon.

Only 1 quart every 4k? I am impressed, my 08 chugged it at a rate of 1quart every 1-1.5k

I’m sure you are probably aware that the official Toyota USA recommendation for a G2 Prius is 5/30 conventional at 5000 mile intervals.

That said there are folks here running everything between 0/20 and 0/40, and there really isn’t any evidence it matters much.

I'd say pick your poison and go for it...

Front bumper looks like it's been sandblasted but interior has very little wear, so I'm guessing original owner put on a ton of highway miles. I know that's a massive plus in high mileage conventional cars. Assuming it's the same for hybrids.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I’m sure you are probably aware that the official Toyota USA recommendation for a G2 Prius is 5/30 conventional at 5000 mile intervals.

That's why I'd been sticking with Dino and just a slightly more frequent interval because of the age of the car.

But I'd been reading about the advantages of synthetics and the cost isn't too much higher if doing the changes myself (oil change places want almost double for synthetic). Might even be cheaper if I do them less frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back