2008 Opel GT (Saturn Sky Redline), Mobil1 5w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturn Sky Redline
2.0l 4-cylinder turbo engine (GM LNF)
Mobil 1 5w50 Peak Life
In the engine for 10.000km and nearly thirteen months.
Changed when the car reached 140.000km on the odometer.

zpfvx9xm.jpg

Iron and Silicone are high, I am a bit concerned about that.
Around 120.000km(Summer 2015) I had both timing chains plus all tensioner etc. changed.
Since then, nothing was done to engines internal parts.
The valve cover gasket was changed last year (130.000km), when the oil was filled in. That may be the reason for the Silicone... I guess.
Any ideas on the iron? (I had the compression checked:👍, all 4 cylinders between 12.5 and 11.5)

Best regards,
Napi.

Welcome Napi !!

A 2008 Opel Turbo, I have a 2006 Opel NA.

Yes the iron and silicon look high.

The Si could be the new gasket sealing material, or you need a new air filter. What can I say, check your air filter and if that is OK, see if Si does down over the next OCI.

As for Fe, maybe it's the new timing chains bedding in. Again it should go down with with the next OCI.

BTW do you have chains ? I have have a timing belt.

I wouldn't be concerned with air filtration system with low Al #.
Yep, new timing chain contributes to rather high Fe ......
could frequent cold-starts, short-trippings and ambients (Is it cold ,there ?) contributes Fe wear too ?

welcome2.gif

Last edited:
I would run another interval and see if its trending up or down.

could be normal and trending down from your repairs.

Also that oil seems overly thick unless its seeing track use.
What was the manufacturer recommendation

Well it is not exactly cold here, but for eight to ten weeks we went below zero this winter. Short starts happen occasionally, I have to admit.

Manufacturer recommends 5w30, 5w40, 5w50 or 10w60. I decided to go with 5w50 because I don't drive on tracks, but the car is driven on the Autobahn for more than 50% of the time.
The chains (the LNF and its successors use chains, which is a shame...) were installed for nearly 10.000km when the oil was filled in. Could the high Iron really still be the chains?

Would you recommend any further action besides driving another 9k and having the "new" oil tested?

The air filter was renewed around two years (20.000km) ago and I am going to change it at 150.000km again. The manufacturer recommends a change every 50.000km but I decided to reduce that to "every 30.000km". As the new gasket is made from silicon, while the old one was made of some kind of rubber, I am not really about the Silicone, I have to admit. But the Iron still bugs me.

(Thank you for your answers so far!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Napi

Manufacturer recommends 5w30, 5w40, 5w50 or 10w60.

That sounds about right, my Opel owners manual says to use a 15w40 or 10W30 in either A3/B3 or A3/B4.

To be honest any quality synthetic A3/B4 oil should work for you.

I still think the iron is from the new cam chain and the silicon from the new gasket material. If there is something else, you can't really gauge that from a simple oil analysis, it's more an oil interval length test assuming the engine is working well.

You could try a different weight and brand if that makes you happy, maybe a 40 grade in Castrol Edge or Magnatec. Or Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 which is a Porsche A40 rated oil.

Mind you if you change oil and the Fe decreases, is it the new oil or did you just wait it out ?

Originally Posted By: SR5

Mind you if you change oil and the Fe decreases, is it the new oil or did you just wait it out ?

I have to admit, that sentence exceeds my knowledge of the English language.
blush.gif

If I understand it correctly my answer is:
I changed the oil at 140.000 because I change it every 10.000km. The new Oil is Mobil 1 5w50 again, but they changed the oil lightly, it is no longer called "peak life".
At the moment I plan to do the next change at 150.000 with either 5w50 or maybe a 5w40. And then (of course) have the oil checked again.
I take it the Fe is not that extremely high that it would stop me from driving another 9.000km without further tests on the engine?!

Sorry, as an Australian, I don't speak very good English either.

What I'm saying is, you have two choices, try again with the same oil M1 5W50 or to try with a different oil (e.g. Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Castrol Edge 0W40, 5W40, etc).

Now I predict that your iron (Fe) levels will drop anyway, as it is probably due to the new cam chain. If it is just the new cam chains bedding in, then this drop in iron should happen regardless of what oil you use. It's just a function of time.

So if you keep to the same oil, I hope you should be able to see this happen.

But if you change to a different oil and the iron drops, is it the new oil (chemistry) ? or the cam chains bedding in (time) ?

It's up to you, do you want to try a new oil ? Or do you want to see if it is the new cam chains and the levels should drop naturally (requires same oil for positive proof).

BTW I was in Ulm Swabia about this time last year, great city.

Last edited:
Little OT:
Did you take the stairs to the Ulmer Münster?

Worth the effort. It is he'll of an effort though...

BTT: As there is another Load of M1 in the engine, I will give it another 8500km and then have another look.

Last edited:
One of the chain slides had broken and the primary chain had stretched.
So I had both chains plus slides/tensioners etc. renewed.

To be honest, that is quite common for the GTs. I'd say 1 out of 2 GTs has the chains renewed prior to 100.000km. When my engine started the typical vibration I was a little bit relieved, just because I started to fear that my chain may just rip off if I would not replace it soon.
grin.gif

But seriously, the chains are THE common issue with the GTs. Opel even created a Replacement-kit made of an Insignia Chain and different slides (different color at least).

And yes, the oil is always full. I check every time I refuel. Even though I have to admit that in the 141.500km and nine years that I'm driving the car I never had to fill in a single drop of oil besides from the normal oil change every 10.000km.

Originally Posted By: Napi

Did you take the stairs to the Ulmer Münster?

Yes !! All 768 steps, for a great view 162 m up the church tower.

I was there for work, but I wish my family was with me, it is such a beautiful town but without the mass of tourists you get in some other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back