10 Mercedes E550 M1 0W40 FS 105,000 mi Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Fram Ultra (needed it now, had nothing else available) worked just fine. It didn't collapse, and the orange nitrile gaskets were a nice touch. Bummer they misidentified the engine, but overall the wear metals are low enough that I doubt it matters.

Just did a B service - Purolator air, Mann oil filters, this time PP 0W40 Euro - we'll see how that works out. I for one am not sweating the M1 0W40 FS thing any more.

The engine condition appears superb.
Any proper MB spec'ed oil would easily do 10k with flying colors , I suppose.

Blackstone blew the Universal Averages cuz it should have been the 5.5L V8. It does look like wear is fully in check.

The Fram Ultra worked well, yet I do like the Mann white-fleece oil filter for this application best, as you have switched to.
Mobil, Castrol, or Pennzoil 0w40 are all good choices. Thats a 9-quart sump, meaning you have to buy 2 of the Walmart jugs if you change it yourself.

Nice - some of the best #'s I've seen for a 7500 mile run. Good post. I've got M1 0W-40 in my Suburban now and it's going to be in there for at least another 4 years, if not longer - the mileage won't be much though.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Blackstone blew the Universal Averages cuz it should have been the 5.5L V8. It does look like wear is fully in check.

The Fram Ultra worked well, yet I do like the Mann white-fleece oil filter for this application best, as you have switched to.
Mobil, Castrol, or Pennzoil 0w40 are all good choices. Thats a 9-quart sump, meaning you have to buy 2 of the Walmart jugs if you change it yourself.

Blackstone sent me the updated report with the 5.5L averages - they look nearly the same to me, which makes sense, since the engines are very similar in terms of material composition. The M273 had a 4-something liter version, and aside from the pre-2008 M27x engines with the dissolving timing chain idler you'd expect the numbers to have a lot in common.

Yeah, 9 quarts, it's a total pain to pull the drain pan out from the car with that much in it, and the oil initially comes out with enough force that it splashes on a crossmember. I put a Fumoto valve on it this time.

Great report, nothing abnormal, I'd keep doing what you are doing. Flash point also stayed nice and high indicating very minimal fuel in the oil
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Great report, nothing abnormal, I'd keep doing what you are doing. Flash point also stayed nice and high indicating very minimal fuel in the oil
thumbsup2.gif

I'm wondering if you noticed that for the same reason I did. I would expect the V8 to be a bit thirsty and have the typical high performance tune that uses fuel as coolant. May indicate enthusiastic driving or just typical ridiculous teutonic accuracy in fuel injection metering...

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
I for one am not sweating the M1 0W40 FS thing any more.

It gets a bit hysterical around here now and then. Still a fine oil...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
thumbsup2.gif

I'm wondering if you noticed that for the same reason I did. I would expect the V8 to be a bit thirsty and have the typical high performance tune that uses fuel as coolant. May indicate enthusiastic driving or just typical ridiculous teutonic accuracy in fuel injection metering...

Sure did, LOL!
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back