Japanese Beetle TRAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody having problems with Japanese Beetles ? ? ?
They are quite the nuisance in the Summer months and damage plants by eating the leaves.
I buy and use the scented bait traps. The scent works great for attracting the Beetles any where downwind.

Only problem with these Traps is the Beetles are caught in a plastic bag.
The plastic bags work, but you have to look inside and they collect rain-water.
My solution to this was to replace the bag with a water bottle.
Now I can view several traps and see when the bottle needs replacing.

----------------------------
When FULL, remove bottle, (screw cap ON)
Install empty bottle.
Good to go.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
One of those "why didn't they think of that before" moments.

Nice

Agreed....brilliant solution! A little rain and a full bag makes a smelly mess.

This is the trap I have, but I like your red neck solution better lol.

japanese-Beetle-Trap.jpg

Originally Posted By: volk06
Traps do not work. All the do is attract the bug to your property. Sevin and pyrethrin (natural) dusts are the best defense for flowers.

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/japanese-beetle

I have found this true also. I have done it. It does kill beetles but its like a tempest in a tea cup. Or as Abe Lincoln said, "Like shoveling flies across a barn yard

Last edited:
Excellent idea to use the bottles, but I agree that the trap effectiveness is variable. Beetle activity is heavy this year in mid Michigan.

Apology for derailing the thread and too many pictures, but here are some monitor traps we use in emerald ash borer research. If you don't know, the ash borer has destroyed millions of trees in the midwest and their range keeps expanding.

we used to put those traps out, but came to a similar conclusion...
they've pretty much stripped our fruit trees this year. the plum tree has little wispy lace things where there were leaves.
my mom collects them(the beetles) in prescription bottles(this year she can fill one off of a single branch, at one point there were so many beetles, it looked like clusters of grapes hanging from the branches), which we then store in the fridge, until my sister comes down to visit. She takes 'em home and feeds them to her chickens.
Chickens LOVE Japanese beetles.

OP here,

Yes it's true the traps use a 'scent' that attracts the Beetles to it.
That is why you place the Traps/scent 'upwind' of your property.

I like the idea of also using NEEM Oil.

When it comes to any Pest Control, a multi-pronged approach is best.

Those are ridiculous amounts of beetles, seems like our gnat problem here lol

If you had enough time you could put some grub killer on the ground during the feeding months, of course if too much area it would could be expensive but it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back