5.3 liter GMC V-8 Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

What's the best commercially available (like at a parts store) oil filter for a 5.3 liter GMC V-8?

Using synthetic 5w-30, engine has about 150,000 miles on it, runs great, no problems ever.

Originally Posted By: CCI
What's the best commercially available (like at a parts store) oil filter for a 5.3 liter GMC V-8?

What year?

2WD or 4WD?

What's the best commercially available oil filter

Most will say Fram Ultra (XG series)

However,
Fleetguard, Donaldson, and Amsoil (Donaldson in sheep's clothing) are all excellent filters.

Thank you.

How does Baldwin compare to those filters?

What is the difference between the good filters you mentioned and the ordinary ones we see advertised?

AC Delco PF61E are decent

Fram TG3675 are really very good, and the "Holy Grail" would be the Fram XG3675

BOSCH D3423 Distance Plus are also very good

You are welcome!

How does Baldwin compare to those filters?

They are very good.
Many folks avoid them unless they have a commercial account, which it sounds like you might have.
Baldwin makes a line of synthetic blend filters, I forget the suffix (XP?)

What is the difference between the good filters you mentioned and the ordinary ones we see advertised?

Typically, a synthetic media raises the price of the filter (over paper or cellulose), but the efficiency often goes up dramatically!

You are correct, I had a trucking and excavating company until recently and used all Baldwin filters in everything, big trucks (7 to 12 liter CAT), excavators, loaders, service trucks, everything.

Never had any problems, but I also recognize that nothing useful can be derived from such an observation.

Only have the pickup truck now, want to do the best I can for the old gal, and don't mind spending the money at all. Pretty sure oil and filter are still the cheapest part of that truck.

I do appreciate the help -- thank you. I still have a couple of the Baldwin 1432 filters -- any reason why I shouldn't use them with synthetic? If not, once they are gone I will switch over to the XG3675.

If so, I will just leave them on the shelf for someday. Switching over to the synthetic oil had amazing results. The notorious lifter tick disappeared, and it cleaned an unbelievable amount of crud out of the engine on the first drain of the synthetic.

I do appreciate the help -- thank you. I still have a couple of the Baldwin 1432 filters -- any reason why I shouldn't use them with synthetic? If not, once they are gone I will switch over to the XG3675.

No problem at all, & they're big enough that you can run them 2X oil changes, easily.

If you are doing 5k oci, any jobber oil filter is good, except for purolator because they tear. If u are going more than 5k, the fram ultra, wix xp, etc would be the filter to use. Personally, I use oem ac delco on my gm trucks.

Using synthetic 5w-30, engine has about 150,000 miles on it, runs great, no problems ever.

If your model calls for AC Delco PF61 (I need the same one), use either Wix or Fram in your application. They both have three levels of quality. Choose to your liking.

Another choice is NAPA filters. They offer the Gold and Silver models. The rest/..... no thanks!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

What year?

2WD or 4WD?

That item makes a difference for an oil filter????

Originally Posted By: CKN

2WD or 4WD?

I guess you haven't worked on many Chevys.

The front driveshaft runs right under the oil filter on many models (Including my K3500 4WD)

Some 4WD Chevy/GMC *MUST* use a "short" oil filter - because a "long" one hits the front driveshaft.

2WD or 4WD?

I guess you haven't worked on many Chevys.

The front driveshaft runs right under the oil filter on many models (Including my K3500 4WD)

Some 4WD Chevy/GMC *MUST* use a "short" oil filter - because a "long" one hits the front driveshaft.

So-if he uses the factory spec'd-or equivalent there are no issues. And the benefit to using a longer filter is virtually non-existent. His motor will not last any longer. His best bet-IMHO is the Fram Ultra.

And I haven't crawled under a K3500 lately.

Last edited:

So-if he uses the factory spec'd-or equivalent there are no issues. And the benefit to using a longer filter is virtually non-existent.

Well..... apparently you didn't notice the lack of that one piece of pertinent info in the original post.

No one can recommend a "factory spec'd-or equivalent" filter if one of the requirements needed to choose "factory spec'd" means knowing whether it's 4WD (short filter needed) or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back