Suggestions for a Nissan Versa 1.8 2009 oil and i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm wondering about the Versa I just bought and an oil change interval.

It has under 60k miles and I'll drive roughly 10k per year with mostly city driving.

I'm gentle on my cars.

I'd love to go to 1 year changes but wasn't sure with this engine and a small sump.

Thanks.

Ryan

You will get a lot of different opinions here about your question. I will step up with mine. I would read your owners manual to see what Nissan suggests. I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note with the 1.6 liter engine. My manual suggests 3750 mile oil changes under severe driving conditions. Severe is stop and go driving. Dusty area driving. Actually it sees the highway driving pretty rarely. I believe Nissan suggests 7000 mile oil changes with that. I would have to look again. Well so far severe conditions is pretty much how my Note gets driven. So I change my oil like Nissan suggests. Actually I change it every 3000 miles. Easier to remember for me. My sump takes 3.25 quarts of oil. Wow that certainly isn't a lot of oil to be held in the sump before it gets drawn up and pumped through the engine again. I also have not seen wether Nissan suggests conventional or synthetic.

Like I said though you will get a lot of different opinions. I shared mine. I also don't focus on using synthetic or conventional. I figure with changing it at 3000 miles any good oil will do. Right now it has Chevron Supreme 5w30 in it. I have used Castrol Edge, ST conventional, NAPA synthetic, Pennzoil Gold and Pennzoil synthetic among others. When I change it out at 3000 miles or a bit above the oil is pretty dark. I have never done a UOA but I really don't like such a small amount of oil in my sump that is turning dark. Some may say I am wasting resources. Fine, but I really like my car and feel using oil up a bit with the goal of keeping my engine in good condition makes me happy and I doubt you can get me to budge on that. What others would like to do different than me I am good with.

Kendall Blend with liquid Ti and a Fram XG6607 "ultra synthetic"

CVT's at that time were experiencing high failure rates.

Hmm. Thanks for the reply!

They are decent little as for sure. I was sprites how fun it was in town

OK. This gave me something to think about

Maybe I'll stick with 6k changes with a synthetic and not worry about the date that's sort of splitting the difference.

I think you may well be in technically "severe" driving conditions. IF that is correct then it is a change at 3,750 miles. If it is that then a good conventional oil like Havoline, PYB, VWB, QSGB, Kendall GT-1 or Supertech would be fine. If you want to run a synthetic oil then a 0w20 then Castrol Magnatec 0w20, Valvoline Synpower 0w20, Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, QSUD 0w20 would all be fine obviously. Given your operating conditions and small oil capacity if it were me I would keep your interval at 3750 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I think you may well be in technically "severe" driving conditions. IF that is correct then it is a change at 3,750 miles. If it is that then a good conventional oil like Havoline, PYB, VWB, QSGB, Kendall GT-1 or Supertech would be fine. If you want to run a synthetic oil then a 0w20 then Castrol Magnatec 0w20, Valvoline Synpower 0w20, Pennzoil Platinum 0w20, QSUD 0w20 would all be fine obviously. Given your operating conditions and small oil capacity if it were me I would keep your interval at 3750 miles.

I'm surprised but happy someone who thinks like me about doing short OCI with this engine. I totally agree that any of the good conventionals you listed will work great for the oil changes on this vehicle.

Amsoil capacity site shows your Versa w the 1.8 holds 4.3 quarts with the filter. That's plenty for that little 4 cylinder. You should be fine with yearly changes on full synthetic - it's just critical that you keep it topped off every time it gets close to half a quart low. Or just change more often w conventional - 5000 miles would be fine.

Thanks Guys. I'm leaning towards a blend at 6 month intervals.

There's a new Castrol I may try.

It gets bloody cold in the winter here for a month or so...it'd be nice to have a bit better flow without breaking the bank.

I do want this engine to last a long time too.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back