Rear brake job, now hot wheels and smell!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got home after having the rears pads replaced and rotors resurfaced and one wheel was very warm/hot and had a smell to it. It was more hot than the other and also had a steel to it. Keep in mind this is the wheel that DID NOT have the hub bearing "problem" that I posted on earlier today. Is it normal for new pads to give off more heat and have a smell t them?

The caliper sliders are probably seized up preventing the caliper from centering itself over the rotor.

Dealer tech probably forget to lube the slide pins.

They should act the same.. both hot, both cold.. etc

if just one is hot.. either it is the only one working.. or its malfunctioning..

since you said it had a brake smell I'd say its sticking.

If one is a lot hotter than the other one, than the caliper on that side is sticking, which is fairly common. The caliper piston has corrosion on it that doesn't work well when the piston is pushed back into the caliper.

Depending on how hot it gets, I would either continue running it until it break itself in, or take it back to the shop the did the repairs. The fix is a new rebuilt caliper.

Do you have pistons with special notch on their surface....if YES...then pay attention that you aligne that notch with corresponding "bump" on breaking pad...

As mentioned...sometimes (depends on wich handbrake system you have) rear pistons had to be spinned all the way back in (in case of new pads)

Btw...been there....done that...the wrong way
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Do you have pistons with special notch on their surface....if YES...then pay attention that you aligne that notch with corresponding "bump" on breaking pad...

As mentioned...sometimes (depends on wich handbrake system you have) rear pistons had to be spinned all the way back in (in case of new pads)

That is probably the problem. If the slot on the piston was not lined up with the pads, the pads will drag.

When you run thin pads for a long time,you expose the caliper piston to travel lengths its not normally used to.This also allows the inner end of the bore to be exposed to pitting for an extended time.Once you push the piston back into territory it hasn't been in for a long while it gets on those "pits" and will be hard to release.

I put new front pads and rotors in about a year and a half ago. Strong smell and lack of feel until they bedded themselves in. For me it was a few days before I was happy with the feel of the new pads.

With the worn pads, the caliper piston was extended outward. The pistons are now way in the caliper bore and likely is hanging up. You maybe be replacing a caliper(s) soon. If everything is working good, you should not be smelling anything from the brakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Did you completely remove dust boots and slide pins?
Also did you spin the calipers back in?

He took it to the dealer. Greg don't turn wrenches.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When you run thin pads for a long time,you expose the caliper piston to travel lengths its not normally used to.This also allows the inner end of the bore to be exposed to pitting for an extended time.Once you push the piston back into territory it hasn't been in for a long while it gets on those "pits" and will be hard to release.

That is why I always spray pistons with cheramic paste... To protect them against piting...and to lube them also...

Pump the brakes...the way that pistons come all the way out.. Pay attention that they dont fall out...otherwise you are fubared
smile.gif
and lube them... Then push them in&out 3-4 times...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Did you completely remove dust boots and slide pins?
Also did you spin the calipers back in?

He took it to the dealer. Greg don't turn wrenches.
48.gif

Ha !

All the above are really excellent posts in this thread.

Can I ask you guys how many of you still "bed" your new brakes?

i always have but few seem to anymore.

Sound like a caliper piston sticking. Rear calipers on Hondas are notorious for going belly up soon. Just had to replace the rears on the 2014 Civic.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The caliper sliders are probably seized up preventing the caliper from centering itself over the rotor.

Dealer tech probably forget to lube the slide pins.

^^^THIS!^^^

OP/Greg,

If you want your pads to go in less then 3k miles, leave it alone...
You will definitely hear "pedal to the metal".....(been there, done that)

Go back and raise [censored]!

This is a safety issue!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Smell is usually normal from new pads.

No - it's not normal. Unless you're turning laps around Sebring. The caliper is locked up and he needs to take it back and get the job done right on that wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back