Refurb Laptop. Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I openly admit to not being a technological wizard. Thus, I need some constructive input.
I have been working to keep my old Toshiba A305-S6905 going, but am fighting a losing battle because the machine is really showing its age with a multitude of problems.
Given that plus the fact that I am still running Microsoft Vista (I know,)I have to admit it is time to retire it.
Prior to my retirement in 2015, I ordered a brand new Toshiba laptop. Lesson learned, never buy a computer without being able to put ones hands on it. I hate the machine. Besides, Mrs. Tdbo who was having a case of red rump over her lap top snatched it up.
I have done a couple of focus groups and have $200. in gift cards. For my purposes (web surfing, some light WP,) I would like to buy a refurbished laptop close to that price point.
I have found the following locally: This machine:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475937/Latitude_E6430_14_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

I can purchase this machine for $240. locally:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Processor-...430+refurbished

As happy as I have been with the Toshiba, I understand that not only aren't they what they used to be, but that they may exit the laptop business.

My only real requirement is that it have a fast processor, that is why I am looking at these two and looking at refurbished units.

I am open to other suggestions as well as long as they are not an HP. Thanks in advance.

Dell is the Garbage of the computer world so I'd say stay clear of them. The one I have for work is junk, as was the one before that.

I'd go for the Lenovo:
* 8GB of RAM vs 4 for the Dell
* Better Graphics (nVidia + Intel)
* Probably better screen - the Dell lists no resolution

I believe we have some Latitudes of that vintage at work - they are not good machines.

I have a refurb 430 for my home machine, as do (2) other people I know.

Nice machines. I believe there is a different between the T430 and the T430s, the former having the higher display resolution.

I'm still kicking with my refurbed 10yr/old Acer notebook running Vista. I hear you though. It's showing it's age. I'm no tech wizard either, but I have had good luck with the 2 refurbed Lenovos and 1 refurbed Dell I've purchased for family members over the past 6-12 months. I've been using Newegg for my source mostly.

I would get a Lenovo, but not that one.

The 430 is a good machine, but at that price point, it should come with a 256GB SSD. This makes a world of difference in performance vs. a whirly-gig, last-century style spinning disc drive. Shop a little bit. There should be PLENTY of corporate turn-in, refurbed 430 and 430S models out there with 8gb RAM (minimum you need for WIN 10 and good performance) and an SSD. There are a number of legitimate, authorized re-sellers so try shopping beyond Amazon. IBM even used to sell refurbed Lenovos even after they sold them off, I know as recently as a few years ago. Maybe they still do.

Lenovo has been my go-to brand since before it was Lenovo and it was IBM Thinkpad. They are still quality machines. I am actually still using a T400 because with 8GB and a SSD, it can do what you need. I have switched to using an iPad as a "portable" device and the laptop serves as the device when I need a "serious" keyoard, and Lenovo's shine at that because of their IBM legacy. I have been kicking around the idea of a used 420S or 430S, but really the difference is not very big.

The 430"S" model means "slim," - you loose a port or two and some graphics, but IMO it's worth it to drop a pound off the unit and it be 75% the width. Makes it more friendly to me. But either is good.

my brother kept suggesting a Chromebook and I finally caved. It is so nice...and cheap. The one I have is off of Craigslist. Some IT dude re-furbed it....$80.

I have had terrible luck with all my computers. My tech tells me that the profit margins are so slim the manufacturers (who are all in Japan) know that a certain percentage of their computers are defective and don't care. I have had bad luck with Dell and Lenovo and HP. HP support was not bad, not great but not bad.

MacBook Pro referb is what popped into my mind as soon as I read the thread title.

But I would recommend a 2015 that doesn't have the touch bar.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Dell is the Garbage of the computer world so I'd say stay clear of them. The one I have for work is junk, as was the one before that.

Conversely, I have had nothing but GOOD luck (& performance) from Dell

No one company is arguably better then the other they are all made with the same components.

Look at it this way.

2 CPU manufacturer's
8 well known motherboard manufacturer's
Handful of ram manufacturer's
3 graphics card solutions (considering Intel's integrated GPU)
6-7 reputable power supply makers (same story with hard drives)

Doesn't matter what you buy from any company. You will be getting a mix of the stuff listed above. Everything is pretty much identical.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
No one company is arguably better then the other they are all made with the same components.

Dude, you have no clue.

With your reasoning, we could assume that since Bosch is a prevalent engine control electronics manufacturer, all cars with Bosch control systems are the same. Utter nonsense.

Because Akebono is OE for most all Japanese car's brakes. Tokio Radiator makes a lot of their pans and radiators and most bi-metallic systems and switches. The whole domestic industry there has coalesced around Toyota's pHOAT cooling chemistry. So I guess there's just no difference in Japanese cars?

It's how you put it all together, your skill and talent as engineers and manufacturers. And software matters.

There are clear differences in quality in computers, and it's nor really "arguable." It's demonstrable.

And Dell still sucks no matter how you who try to stack the deck...
wink.gif

several years ago someone on here suggested refurb / used IBM / LENOVO / Thinkpads. I have purchased several in the last year. 2 L-412, 1 T-410, 1 T-430 for relatives. A little heavy, but seem sturdy. Easy to get parts for. The models have subtle differences even if they appear the same overall (i.e. I-5, 4 or 8 gig, etc). Most Thinkpads seem to be purchased by business / government, maintained very well, then dumped to a charity, although several refurbishers sell them. Find out who and see if REFURBEES or whoever give a better price. One nice feature is the docking stations are cheap (although NOT at Amazon....$130???? instead of $35 I paid. Probably $300 new in the day. There is a SLUG of I-5 refurbs coming on the market in the last month. Again, a little heavy. Replacement HD 9 cell batteries cost me $25 generic. I have not explored it but some blogs show how to upgrade screens, etc. on a laptop! Anyway, price shop, and choose Lenovo IMHO.

My go-to store is DELL. I have 2 myself and have bought 10 rehabs for our Church school and no problems, even with children pounding on them for hours a week. Ed

Here is my 2c. If your current laptop is running Vista, then IMO it is probably a decent machine. OP did not say what kind of problems he's having. If they're not hardware related, I think this laptop has some life left in it, especially if it has 2-4 gb of ram installed. A clean install of either win 7 or win 10 should bring this machine back to life.

In my experience, computers that have no problems running Vista will actually perform better with win 7 or newer windows versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back