Marine KC-130T Down in Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to know what happened as well.

Rest in peace, Marines.

frown.gif

I heard about this a few days ago since I live in Mississippi. We have a lot of military bases here. Most of them are used to store stuff. I honestly couldn't tell you how many humvees we have in Gulfport that are sitting on multiple flats.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I honestly couldn't tell you how many humvees we have in Gulfport that are sitting on multiple flats.

Do a satellite view of the Red River Arsenal in Texarkana.... There's got to be 100,000 vehicles, AT LEAST

Airframe age probably wasn't a factor.
I've flown on airline MD-80s almost as old in the past year and those aircraft see a lot more hours and cycles than would a reserve C130.
What happened?
Who can say, but one might guess either loss of control resulting in the aircraft exceeding its envelope by enough to have failed, undetected corrosion resulting in failure or undetected fatigue cracking resulting in failure.
Not likely that some never before seen failure could have occurred in such a mature design, although it is possible.
After all, how many hours and cycles had been flown by the B737 fleet before the rudder valve problem was discovered?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Airframe age probably wasn't a factor.
I've flown on airline MD-80s almost as old in the past year and those aircraft see a lot more hours and cycles than would a reserve C130.
What happened?
Who can say, but one might guess either loss of control resulting in the aircraft exceeding its envelope by enough to have failed, undetected corrosion resulting in failure or undetected fatigue cracking resulting in failure.
Not likely that some never before seen failure could have occurred in such a mature design, although it is possible.
After all, how many hours and cycles had been flown by the B737 fleet before the rudder valve problem was discovered?

Maybe...

Two debris fields suggest inflight breakup.

The airplane had two incidents of airframe damage in its past, so, airframe failure remains a possibility.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

No way related but interesting C130 wing failure during pull up non the less...

That was a very old C-130 without the "wing box" upgrade. The military hasn't flown those for decades.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
With eyewitness reports of an engine smoking, prop failure is a possibility as ocurred here, Godspeed to these young men.
http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/A...gian-jr-trophy/

Prop failure is a possibility - but not because eyewitnesses saw smoking.

85% of eyewitnesses to aviation accidents report seeing things that DID NOT HAPPEN.

People are ill-equipped to judge what is happening with an airplane. Human memory is a funny thing where stress is involved. The result: most eyewitness accounts should be discounted.

The C-130 is a venerable, storied aircraft but it unfortunately has some accidents under its belt. Accidents that cost us valuable American lives. My hearts out to them and their families. Semper Fi and RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back