Turbine oil in internal combustian engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Mobil Jet Oil in my lawn mower just to see how it would do. Other than leaking from the center case gasket it seemed to have done it's job of lubricating the engine.

It certainly didn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Does your IC engine have many ball bearings or high TOT?

SHP @ 100% N2?

We need more info.
Lots of bleed air though.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

SHP @ 100% N2?

crackmeup2.gif

I remember reading the history of the Amsoil company. As I recall the founder initially experimented with synthetic turbine oil in his car with disastrous results. That's what sent him on the mission to develop an appropriate internal combustion additive package.

The turbine oil I deal with is very thin - as thin as ATF or even thinner!

It is also a non-detergent oil since the oil never sees any combustion by-products.

It can handle a lot of heat, though.... but other than that, it's entire unsuitable for use in piston engines.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It is also a non-detergent oil since the oil never sees any combustion by-products.

It can handle a lot of heat, though.... but other than that, it's entire unsuitable for use in piston engines.
There's no crankcase, either. It's a total loss (though very slow) system.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

thumbsup2.gif

This has been discussed before at least twice, but Jet Engine Turbine oil has a viscosity of about 5.0 cSt or approximately a 0W10. They are primarily composed of Polyol Esters with specialized anti-oxidants and an anti-wear component.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants.

Quote:
Has anyone ever used turbine oil (such as Exxon 2380) in their gas or diesel engine?

The answer is you shouldn't because they DO NOT have the additive composition necessary for IC engine oils, so are definitely unsuitable for your engine.

Last edited:
Most "turbine" oils are simple R&O oils (rust and oxidation inhibited) and are not suitable for your application.Having spent three decades in power generation, I have seen R&O oils used in all types of applications but never for internal combustion engines. If I recall correctly, R&O turbine oils come in ISO viscosity grades from 32 up to 460. Steam turbines use highly refined R&O oils which are sold as "turbine' oils. I have purchased Mobil DTE 797 turbine oil delivered by semi truck.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Most "turbine" oils are simple R&O oils (rust and oxidation inhibited) and are not suitable for your application.Having spent three decades in power generation, I have seen R&O oils used in all types of applications but never for internal combustion engines. If I recall correctly, R&O turbine oils come in ISO viscosity grades from 32 up to 460.

True, but the specific oil mentioned by the OP was Exxon 2380, which is an ISO 22 (5 cSt @ 100°C) aviation jet turbine oil based on polyol esters (TMP and DiPE).

Molakule's answer was spot on. Too thin and completely wrong additive system.

Tom NJ/VA

Originally Posted By: Red91
Surely one quart among 4 or 5 quarts of PCMO wouldn't hurt anything.
whistle.gif

Also wouldn't help anything. Not worth the risk.

It's a tongue and cheek poke at molakule regarding a thread where he and a member found themselves in a rather heated debate of the opposite sides blend of 10W-40 PCMO and one quart Mobil 254, Tom. The person was using it in his truck, and his argument was based on blind faith, with no analysis results to offer. I would have liked to at least viewed a VOA of his mix. It's on page three of this section, I believe.

Originally Posted By: Red91
It's a tongue and cheek poke at molakule regarding a thread where he and a member found themselves in a rather heated debate of the opposite sides blend of 10W-40 PCMO and one quart Mobil 254, Tom. The person was using it in his truck, and his argument was based on blind faith, with no analysis results to offer. I would have liked to at least viewed a VOA of his mix. It's on page three of this section, I believe.

Ah, okay - I remember that thread. Believe I got involved in it as well.

Turbine oils fall with in 3.4 and 7.5 cSt @100c so the only saving grace you can say about Turbine oil is that its better than no oil at all in your IC engine...

MSDS Turbine Oil
AeroShell Ascender_TDS @-40C 13000cSt @40C 23cSt @100C 4.90 5.40cSt
AeroShell Turbine Oil 2_ @37C 10.5cSt
AeroShell Turbine Oil 390 @40C 12.9cSt @100C 3.4cSt
AeroShell Turbine Oil 500 @40C 25.2cSt @100C 5.1cSt
AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 @40C 29cSt @100C 5.4cSt
AeroShell Turbine Oil 560 @40C 23cSt @100C 5.2cSt
AeroShell Turbine Oil 750 @40C 36cSt @100C 7.5cSt

The title made me chuckle. In the early 70s I was a young Navy jet mechanic working on J-52 engines in the EA-6B. A few of us were sitting around pondering if putting MIL-L-23699B in our car engines was a good idea. As I recall the consensus was no, it would kill the seals and leak out. None of us ever tried it.

I know, bumping an old thread. I would imagine an aviation turbine like BP/Eastman 2380 or Mobil Jet Oil II might hold up better in a sludge monster/ring coker Toyota than a PCMO...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back