Residential Electricity Rate Increas Across U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many here are interesting in power production, I found this recent graph of percentage increases from 2002 - 2015 very interesting:

The only way to make solar/wind viable is to increase the level of other sources to a level, where they become finally comparable.

This shows the increase in rates by state. I wonder what the price by KWH looks like by state. Maybe CT has the lowest cost per KWH. Who knows. I see that kalifornia had one of the lower increases but the overall rates in kalifornia is one of the highest.

Our community negotiates for a supply agreement. Municipal aggregation is what it's called.

Ameren is our local utility and they still handle transmission. However, the community leaders negotiate for supply and usually get rates lower than Ameren offers. I believe Ameren is offering 6.776 cents/kwh, but our supplier, Homefield is providing electricity at 5.95 cents/kwh So just over a 10% drop in the generation portion. After taxes and delivery, it's about 5-6% off the electric portion of my bill.

Still, half a loaf for Ameren as they get paid for delivery. But they don't get paid (by us) for generation. Now who knows if the 3rd party supplier buys from them or what.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
The only way to make solar/wind viable is to increase the level of other sources to a level, where they become finally comparable.
+1

Originally Posted By: CT8
+1

+2.

If you are subsidizing intermittents, rates are going to increase to satisfy the subsidy. We've seen an increase from $0.047/kWh retail in Ontario to an average of $0.13/kWh ($0.088 off-peak, $0.125 mid-peak and $0.18 peak) plus a significant uptick in delivery costs for rate payers tied to the utility that has been responsible for providing the connectivity for all of these facilities.

The end-game is Euro-level electricity prices such as the $0.45/kWh they are paying in Germany, or the just shy of $0.50/kWh they pay in Denmark.

Originally Posted By: CT8
+1

+1/2

This is only completely true if you are comparing two mature technologies.

I just looked at my electricity usage last night. Turns out I pay almost as much in taxes and fees as actual usage.

I only used 23 dollars in electricity last month but my bill was 43 bucks........whiskey tango foxtrot

Mines the same way, works out to roughly half the bill being taxes and fees. Rate increases have to be approved by the state, fees do not so they just find a way to add another fee to get their money.

When you don't pay attention you get your pockets picked. Look closely at your bill, see how much of it is NOT for generating and supplying you with electricity.

Not sure it's really out of order.

Sure, sounds like a big number. The nationwide average over the 14 year period considered is a 49.88% increase. Let' just say 50% for easy numbers.

Wow, big number!

Except it's under a 3% increase each year. (Somewhere more than 2.9% and less than 3%, not going to figure it any more closely than that.)

Now in the 14 years inclusively from 2002 to 2015, probably more have been less than 2.95% inflation than have been over it. But I believe this figure is in line with the historic average.

So not sure how much of this is really earth shattering, and how much is just the natural course of things.

No one likes it when prices go up, I get that. But I'm not sure this is really news.

North Dakota generates from just these three sources:

583 Megawatts from Garrison Dam (hydroelectric power)
1,886 Megawatts (if the wind is blowin') of wind generation capacity
900 Megawatts from the Antelope Valley Station (coal)

When you consider the population of North Dakota and how much power is exported, you would think juice would/should be only .001 per Kw/H there!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The end-game is Euro-level electricity prices such as the $0.45/kWh they are paying in Germany, or the just shy of $0.50/kWh they pay in Denmark.

YIKES!!!!!!

Ours went up last week

Code:

Band Old Price New Price % rise

d 26.818c 32.098 19.7

Next 8.2192KWh 25.894c 32.098 24.0

Balance 24.123c 32.089 33.0

Connection/day 85.899c 94.16 9.6

So per day, we go from $5.10 per day to $6.07, ^19%

Similarly for gas.

NOTE : multiply by 0.77 to get the Pacific Peso effect.

Gas tables more complicated, but start at 4.3c/MJ...

Diesel is currently running at $1.18/l, and a litre is 38ML...3.1c/MJ, complete with all the sin taxes that transport fuels attract.

It is crazy tho, you get charged a fee on most of the deregulated companies. Anything under 1000 kw/h you get hit with a 9.99 base charge. so using 1000 is cheaper than using 900. Perfect way to make people conserve.

In the summer It's no problem using over 1000 kw/h, but winter(what we have of it) and early spring its hard to use that much without running AC all the time.

The deregulated trading power markets (CAISO, EIM, ERCOT, PJM, MISO(MidC), NYISO, SPPIM) are supposed to work out for the consumer, but as someone who did implementation work in those markets, I can assure you that it is just another middle man who wants his cut. Compliance costs, fees for not participating, penalties for incorrect generation, etc.. it all adds up. Those costs just get passed onto the consumer.

Also pay attention to hearings at your local PUC (utilities commission) where your providers may be going and asking for rate hikes. If people show up at those meetings and contest the hikes, you can let your voice be heard.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The deregulated trading power markets (CAISO, EIM, ERCOT, PJM, MISO(MidC), NYISO, SPPIM) are supposed to work out for the consumer,

When the market was brought in in Oz, it was pointed out that the particular model chosen had only led to higher prices when implemented elsewhere...to which it was replied "there's no evidence that will occur here"

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The deregulated trading power markets (CAISO, EIM, ERCOT, PJM, MISO(MidC), NYISO, SPPIM) are supposed to work out for the consumer,

When the market was brought in in Oz, it was pointed out that the particular model chosen had only led to higher prices when implemented elsewhere...to which it was replied "there's no evidence that will occur here"

Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back