'13 Tundra with 6K lb trailer -what oil weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toyota manual recommends 0W-20 oil for my '13 Tundra. I saw someone here mention that if towing, I should consider a different weight oil. I haven't found anything in my manual yet that says anything like this.

I pull a 6,000 lb travel trailer a few weekends a year. My Tundra has a tow capacity of 9,000 lbs, so I don't think I'm particularly straining the engine's max capability. Based on this, what weight oil should I put putting in?

I wouldn't change the weight unless I were trying to do long oil change intervals while towing. For slightly added peace of mind you could go with a slightly heavier 0w20 such as amsoil or others.

If I were to go up in weight I would jump straight up to a euro spec 0w40 like what I run in my truck. I dont really bother with 5w30s as they often shear to the point that Id rather just have a good 0 or 5w20

Last edited:
Toyota is on to something with the 0W-20 oils in their engines. That said, IMO, you should look at a 0W-30 under heavy towing. 5W-20 or 5W-30 are also a good choices as well. The Toyotas don't shear as badly as some engines but there are some on here that are way more knowledgeable than me. I lean toward heavier weight oils but try to stay in the ballpark of the manufacturer. Toyota fanboy here.

I'd stick to 0W20 as well. If it were me and I was at all concerned, I'd possibly do a blend of maybe one quart of 0W30 with the rest 0W20. That way it's probably still technically a 0W20, but on the thicker end.

In general for towing, I'd be more concerned that the cooling system, transmission fluid and brake fluid is topped off and up to date. Plus highway miles are typically easier on engine oil.

Is there a "severe service" recommendation in the owners manual?

0W-20 should be fine as long as oil temps stay reasonable. Does the engine have an oil cooler? If not, I'd go for 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Hal3134
My Toyota manual recommends 0W-20 oil for my '13 Tundra.

Where exactly does it say that?

Is there a little bar graph with temperatures and arrows for different oils?

If there is, choose the heaviest oil on that chart.

oilvis.gif

Several owner's manuals posted on here show that Toyota say that a heavier oil is required for adequate protection under heavy load, high speed or mountainous regions.

If you check your OM, you've likely got the same and I'd go with a 30 weight.

My Toyota manual recommends 0W-20 oil for my '13 Tundra. I saw someone here mention that if towing, I should consider a different weight oil. I haven't found anything in my manual yet that says anything like this.

I pull a 6,000 lb travel trailer a few weekends a year. My Tundra has a tow capacity of 9,000 lbs, so I don't think I'm particularly straining the engine's max capability. Based on this, what weight oil should I put putting in?

As was noted already, what does your owner's manual say? What you "saw someone here mention" is not really relevant compared to what the manufacturer says.

My manual for the RX mentions a heavier grade for towing and/or sustained high speed. As vague as that statement was, I figure the sky is the limit. I personally would go with a 10w30, HDEO most likely, or 0/5w30/40 A3/B4 for low temps.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd think the only components stressed during towing would be the transmission and differential.

It's both heat and stress. Oil temp is directly related to engine load. More load equals more heat, which equals weaker oil film strength. In addition to heat, the engine (as well as differentials and transmission) are under more stress as the increased engine load means the pistons are firing harder into the crankshaft, squeezing the oil film harder. That's why you see "severe service" recommendations, because under those circumstances stress is going up and protection is going down (via hotter oil).

He is pulling 6K with a truck that is rated for 9K... a few weekends a year.

Thats very far from "severe service". I would stick with the 0w20.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
My Toyota manual recommends 0W-20 oil for my '13 Tundra.

Where exactly does it say that?

Is there a little bar graph with temperatures and arrows for different oils?

If there is, choose the heaviest oil on that chart.

oilvis.gif

Wow, 0W-30 tops out at 70 deg F. I'm staying away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back