2017 HD 107 has high copper wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's normal for the metals (esp. Copper) to be high during engine break-in. I wouldn't be too worried. If you still have your oil filter I'd cut it open and have a look inside just to see if there is anything in there...but I'm betting it's normal for your engine to shed some material as it breaks in.

Totally normal on a Harley. I have owned more than a few and the first few OCIs will look like you dumped glitter into the pan.
It will clear up.

So if you did a 1000 mile service this is the third change?

How much oil is left in the system during a change on the Milwaukee Eight?

Thanks, this is the first new HD I have owned so I'm not familiar with what's normal on a new engine.

I did have the dealer do the 1000mi service on it. They put in their Syn3 stuff, so the oil I sent in was from the second oil change. I don't know how much is left in the engine but I did have to remove the oil cooler (thanks to a overly tight filter and no room) so I think I got most of what would have been left in it. I am curious about the next analysis tho.

You might find my series of UOA’s on the 103B of interest even though it is a twin cam. Also shanneba has a series of them on his Sportster, again a different engine.

This may be the first one I’ve seen on a Milwaukee Eight.

Harleys typically have around a quart left in the system during a normal change. There is a company rouge chopper that makes the scavenger oil change system which helps with that, but it doesn’t appear they catalog one for the M8 yet.

Looks like a typical Harley UOA for a Twin Cam, will be interesting to see more of these on the new 107.
I have posted many on my 14 Road King in this forum, heading to the Smoky Mountains this morning and assume I will be doing another UOA in the next few weeks.
I woulnt be to concerned about the copper, always seems to come down in time.

Last edited:
Does your M8 have an oil cooler? It could be a source of additional copper.

My copper didn't get under 100 ppm until 20,000 miles, the fifth oil change.
I do have a different engine with 4 cams and 8 cam bushings that are bronze.
Lead and tin were also higher than the averages on my UOAs indicating a bronze bushing was still breaking in.
The other wear metals were below the averages.
I hope it continues down to a normal level on the next oil change.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4229798/Re:_2013_HD_Sportster_1200_Red#Post4229798

Wow. I think Mobil must have changed the formula on 15-50 again. 5500 miles in a Harley engine and it held viscosity that well? Incredible. Never seen M1 15-50 hold up that well since the old red cap formula.

Yes it does have a oil cooler, I'm glad to hear that that could be the cause of the high copper. I am new to oil analysis and really don't know a whole [censored] of a lot about it yet.

This was my first run with 15w50, after reading so many good things about it I figured I would give it a shot. I read that it shears quickly which was a concern of mine, but it seems to have done well tho I haven't learned how to decipher all these numbers very well yet. The money savings sure is nice, provided it protects as well as the 20w50.

the 15-50 mobil I will circulate quicker especially in the cooler weather @ startups. the amsoil 20-50 in my 06 sporty cranked slowly + would not start in my garage, prolly in the 40's!!! your non shared sump is easier than a shared sump many engines use + i believe theres more oil in the M-8's

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Wow. I think Mobil must have changed the formula on 15-50 again. 5500 miles in a Harley engine and it held viscosity that well? Incredible. Never seen M1 15-50 hold up that well since the old red cap formula.

The Harley is not a shared sump engine. IMO, I would expect viscosity to hold up well. Especially on the new engines with their cooling capability.

For comparison, I ran the same oil in my Kawasaki ZRX 1200 for 5000 miles, viscosity dropped down into the high 40 weight category.

Originally Posted By: Bonz
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

The Harley is not a shared sump engine. IMO, I would expect viscosity to hold up well. Especially on the new engines with their cooling capability.

For comparison, I ran the same oil in my Kawasaki ZRX 1200 for 5000 miles, viscosity dropped down into the high 40 weight category.

True, Harley is not a shared sump engine but the Mobile 1 held up exceedingly well. Im actually quite surprised and very impressed. I have never been impressed with the Mobile 1 15w50 oil for use in motorcycles but I am now, it looks so good I wondered to myself if the OP got the oil grade right.
I assume he is correct in stating this is the Mobile 1 15w50 Automobile oil sold in the 5 quart containers.

Actually it would be incorrect to say "especially on new engines with their oil cooling capability" as the demands on the oil in the new 107 M8 engines far exceed anything in previous models simply because it is the oil now being used to actaully cool down the valves in the engine. The engine now has cooling passages around the valves in which oil is pumped through to remove heat from the valves. This is a first for the touring bikes.

The oil in the non water cooled M8 engines actually circulates around the valves to cool the valves down, this super heated oil then gets transported to the oil cooler.

Bottom line, I can say the oil temperatures must be unchanged or higher from previous Harley 103 touring bikes and must really climb if stuck in traffic, Harley lists oil pressure at a normal 230 degrees, which can be as much as 30 to 40 degrees higher in 100 degree weather on a 103 engine and I am sure the same or higher on the 107.

On the flip side, the much more expensive "Ultra" touring bikes have water cooling, one can safely assume oil temps will still be the same as the "Ultra" series bike does have water cooling but no oil cooler.

Again, like any bike, the oil is no hotter or cooler in any model year and this Mobile 1 did a good job for cheap automotive oil. Im impressed. (as long as the OP posted the right oil grade, ha ha)

You stated that on your shared sump bike the oil dropped into the 40 weight range, Im not sure if that is a typo as on any shared sump bike oil will drop a grade, you just dont want to drop two grades. But yes, for sure, on a shared sump bike oil will shear more, but it will also shear to a lessor degree (most times but not all) in a non shared sump such as an air cooled Harley as the hot operating temperatures can also contribute to shearing.

Last edited:
reading on other "oil specialty" sites its noted that heat is the big oil killer!! its stated that every 18 degree rise above their activation temperature- prolly the hot test # 212 degrees F, which is surely surpassed in most motorcycles cuts the oils life in half!!

reading on HD forums note how much oil comes out of the primary as some report oil transfer from the engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back