Ford power steering o-rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the middle of a power steering pump replacement on a Ford 4.2L. Just about done, actually. Put the new teflon o-ring on the high pressure fitting, threaded everything together. Well, the metal hard line coming out the bottom of the pump through the teflon o-ring fitting was rather loose and could be rotated easily after torquing the fitting. I have to assume this is not normal. does anybody have experience with this application? My reman Napa pump came with a new teflon ring which I used as well as a new nitrile rubber o-ring, of smaller diameter, which I did not use since none like that were present on the original assembly. Should this go on the tip of the high pressure line fitting>?

Yes, the teflon o-ring isn't the issue. The metal line seems loose in the fitting after torquing. Is there a seconardy o-ring needed? Is it normal to have the line loose with the fitting tight?

Did the pump come with instructions? The new master cylinder to the Rat contained directions on how to bleed it. Good thing, because I never would have figured it out.
grin2.gif

Just generic instructions. The baggy with the teflon o-ring and second, smaller o-ring only contain instructions on the teflon o-ring install.

^ X2. Pretty sure the line is supposed to be able to turn since one end is bolted to your steering/frame and the other to an engine mounted part. It moves on my trucks. The rubber o-ring is the primary seal and the teflon stops seepage from that.

If there are no leaks, you are good.

*Edit...re-read...so you didn't see any rubber o-ring when you took the high pressure line off the pump? There should be one on the line and the teflon goes on the fitting.

77164d1251207867-help-seals-o-rings-power-steering-pressure-line-img_2110_small.jpg

IMG_0901_Large.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Well after pulling it apart and futzing with a junky Dorman replacement o ring, seems to be all set.

FWIW, the Harbor freight pulley remover and installer works ok. Except for installing. Thrust bearing seized and threaded adaptor snapped off inside the pump shaft before the pulley was fully seated. Still about 1/8in too far out ... But belt runs smooth and silent...?? Probably going to leave it for now.

Not sure how to imbued, but here's a short vid.

https://youtu.be/HHDNqx4nwd4

Edit: wow just watch the clip. Terrible Mic pick up. Only noise I was hearingn was the fan and a throttle body with the rest of the intake off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back