PP EURO 0W30 for a GOLF R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are using some of the proceeds of the "sell back" of our 2015 TDI GSW to purchase a 2018 Golf R. I have several jugs of PP EURO LX 0W30 remaining. I had used it in the TDI as it is 507 approved. (I see it is a 504 oil also....always backwards compatible?).

Just curious as to whether any R owners have had experience, even a UOA, with this 0W30 oil?

I'd run it in a heart beat
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Why would you run an oil that could void your warranty?

I'm not sure if that is the case? I would check with VW USA. 504 is supposedly backwards compatible with 502, and is a far more modern standard.

Thanks everyone. According to the sales rep these 2018 Rs will likely not arrive to Canadian dealerships until early November
crazy.gif
so I will need to tone down my enthusiasm
wink.gif

I guess the linch pin is whether or not 504 is backwards compatible with 502.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
I believe in the US you can't use 504 oils in petrol motors due to the sulphur in your fuel.

This. Not sure I would be using a low SAPS oil.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
Changed recently (not sure if fully rolled out yet) sulphur levels are now supposed to be same as Europe now.

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/gasoline-sulfur

That's not entirely true. The way I understand the new Rule to work is that it will allow sulfur offsetting credits for producers. Changing production and refining equipment will take years. Therefore, you're very likely NOT getting ultra low sulfur gasoline anytime soon. Here is the final Final Rule published by the EPA if you need some help sleeping. 838 pages!

From the executive summary:

"These early credit provisions, coupled
with the ability to carry over credits
from Tier 2 into Tier 3 (an additional
flexibility being finalized today that was
not part of the proposal), will allow for
early actions to reduce sulfur levels by
some refineries to be used to delay the
need for actions at other refineries until
2020."

I wouldn't count on any changes until at least 2019.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motech
504 is not backwards compatible with 502. Don't get creative on this or you'll void your warranty. Do whatever the owner's manual says.

I have been told that there is a section in the Owner's Manual (2017 R),...something to the effect that that....if no 5W30 or 5W40 is available one can use another viscosity that meets VW502/504 standard and meets the viscosity requirements of your area.

Last edited:
504 is not backwards compatible with 502. Don't get creative on this or you'll void your warranty. Do whatever the owner's manual says.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I have been told that there is a section in the Owner's Manual (2017 R),...something to the effect that that....if no 5W30 or 5W40 is available one can use another viscosity that meets VW502/504 standard and meets the viscosity requirements of your area.

Like I said above, this is something that VW USA would be able to clarify. I would ask them to send you an answer in writing/email for documentation. We're all just guessing here at this point.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
504 is not backwards compatible with 502.

Like I said above, this is something that VW USA would be able to clarify. I would ask them to send you an answer in writing/email for documentation. We're all just guessing here at this point.

502 and 504 and 505 and 507 (have I missed any) have been around for years and yet I still see conflicting posts regarding "backwards compatibility"
frown.gif

502 and 504 and 505 and 507 (have I missed any) have been around for years and yet I still see conflicting posts regarding "backwards compatibility"
frown.gif

Exactly. This question is best answered by VW USA corporate (not a dealership).

That does not sound like it endorses either spec. It sounds like they are saying you can follow the spec of oil your car requires over the grade of 5W30 or 5W40. So if your car requires 502, you can use alternate grades of 502, if your car requires 504, you can use alternate grades of 504.

That section of the manual is probably the same for all Golfs, diesel included.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
frown.gif

Exactly. This question is best answered by VW USA corporate (not a dealership).

Oh god, don't ask sales or a service advisor, your odds of getting the correct answer are slim. Even asking the techs is hit and miss. We had a newer BMW in our shop, sales, the advisor, parts AND the tech all wanted to just put our Honda bulk 5W20 in it. I had to step in a explain LL-01. Nobody in parts had even heard of needing to meet a spec for oil.

YOu can use it, but not for the 10,000 mile OCI listed in the owner's manual. It is backwards compatible in Europe. But expect to change the oil at 5000 miles and do a UOA to confirm if the 5000 mile OCI is suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back