Polaris AGL analysis

So I had a virgin oil analysis done on the Polaris AGL transmission/chaincase lubricant just to see what magical things are in it. Figured the powersports people may be interested. Enjoy.

oil.jpg

I've been buying Polaris before they had thier own line of Lubricants for ATVs and they used to Spec 30wt motor oil for their chain cases.
This is when they only made two strokes, when they started making four strokes that's when thier lubricant line came out.

At $15/quart, I found it interesting that it compared to a 5w20/5w30 motor oil, or a 20w hydraulic fluid. I was aware they used to spec SAE 30 oil for the transmissions, so I had to wonder how different their magical oil was, and now we know.

Uploading direectly to BITOG to preserve analysis..

Last edited:
just like their motorcycle oils, only decent but high priced!!! no specs on any fluids made for polaris's products

Fyi, before Amsoil created their own "atv/utv" line they specified their ATH product to replace AGL. As memory serves thats a general purpose tractor hydro fluid.

Mind you I've read jesus had a twin brother on the internet too. Still, quite a coincidence, right?

Nor does that make it the best oil for this situation..

Thanks for posting.

It seems one would be better off to purchase a shear stable synthetic ots 5w20 for this application.

Something like Valvoline advanced FS 5w20 or QSUD 5w20 would a lot cheaper and also have more FM for the chain inside the chaincase.

I need to clean up an earlier post Id' made but can't edit. Amsoil ATH is the replacement for the Polaris Demand Drive Fluid, not AGL.

Moving on, replacing AGL isn't all that hard, but giving one replacement recommendation is probably misplaced. AGL gets used in a variety of AT/UTV applications, and in my mind each of them could easily have a specialized replacement that was superior to motor oil. Hopefully it's legit to include a thread on another forum...

AGL Thread

I need to clean up an earlier post Id' made but can't edit. Amsoil ATH is the replacement for the Polaris Demand Drive Fluid, not AGL.

Moving on, replacing AGL isn't all that hard, but giving one replacement recommendation is probably misplaced. AGL gets used in a variety of AT/UTV applications, and in my mind each of them could easily have a specialized replacement that was superior to motor oil. Hopefully it's legit to include a thread on another forum...

AGL Thread
Necro-resurrection here. Just bought a ‘20 450 Sportsman kinda as a favor to my friend. It’s almost due for its 100 hour service, I think I’m going to use HPL CK-4 Cold Climate 0w30 for the trans and rear diff, unless Dave says it’s not a wise idea. Also have to figure out which oil and Demand Drive fluid cross over.

Anybody know what size filter it takes, other than the Polaris one?

Looks like it’s a 7317 size… confirm?
Yes the 7317 is the filter I use on all our Polaris quads.

Its been said that Demand drive fluid is the same thing as John deere low viscosity hygard. Its also been said that hilliard the company that makes the front diffs for polaris and the john deere gators fills them with hygard at the factory.

Back