De-Sludge Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jetronic once said how clean diesel engines are inside in comparison with gasoline counterparts... Everything due to SMALL diesel content in its oil wich is constantly present...

I said SMALL!!!

If I would like to desludge my engine...I would buy bulk of cheapest HDEO oil...and would do 3-4 short OCIS (2000-3000kms)...

And just before every OCI I would add aprox 1dcl of diesel oil and I would go on one short trip before OCI...

Last edited:
I am not using diesel or kerosine. Mainly because there is a video (in Russian) of a guy who tests oil lubricating properties with one arm bandit. He heats up the oil before every test to get it as close to operating conditions as possible.
He puts the friction/pressure load on the oil. Straight oil, depending on the brand, was taking 7-15 KGs of load before the bearing wheel stopped. Once he mixed the oil with diesel or kerosine - the friction was so bad that the wheel stopped at 1-3KGs of load! There is no way I am mixing diesel with oil. MMO is not kerosine or ATF, as some here suggest. So MMO will have a chance of working in that engine shortly before next oil change. The vehicle is 2012 Toyota Corolla with 60k miles.

If it were mine: PYB and Fram Extra guard. Run 1,000 miles. Repeat.

No drama, no chemistry.

As a rental it still had to have oil changes during its life.

A trucker pal with a big expensive truck always used Kerosene dumped into the crank case and idling the engine for 3o minutes
then doing the oil filter change. workers great.

For a car engine that's dirty, add 1 1/2 cups of camping kerosene in with the OLD oil and run at a fast idle
for 20 minutes, then do a long drain so it all comes out, new filter, new oil and you're good.

Then maintain your OCI and keep your oil topped up and you won't have to do a flush for yrs to come!

Commercial engine oil flushes have Kero in them too, it's an astringent so don't do it every OCI, seals will dry out,
but once every couple of yrs is OK. I did mine 5 years ago and with proper attention no need for years to come!

Skip the full sump of ATF.. in fact skip the ATF in your oil completely. If you must do something, then do as others have suggested - Run an OCI or two using Rotella 10w-30.

Better yet, depending on the oil that the engine specs, use the Rotella 10w-30, but replace 1/5 to 1/4 of the oil with MMO. You mentioned red/pink coolant, so I'm going to assume that this is an asian car, and thus would most likely spec an oil lighter than 10w-30.. and so the MMO will lighten up the oil, and might help a little in clean-up.

.. In all honesty, though, the Rotella will do some good cleaning by itself. Way better than any ATF could.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729268

From Quaker State;
" Myth #12

Adding a quart of ATF the day before an oil change will clean your engine. ATF added to the motor oil will clean the engine due to the high levels of detergent in ATF.

Fact
ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine. Quaker State® recommends that you keep the fluids where they belong: motor oil in the crankcase, and automatic transmission fluid in the transmission. "
There we go--straight from one of the majors. OP use a product designed for the issue at hand and skip the shade tree solutions.

I read somewhere that the ingredient which gave ATF its lauded cleansing super power is no longer included and hasn't been for decades.
...but I do not know.

Nobody ever mentions poking a cheap fiber optic scope into the valve cover or drain hole for a better look.

Unless you've looked further than than the fill hole and it isn't running well, I would just do 3k mile changes on PYB and a Fram ExtraGuard until safisfied with what I saw in the hole.

Years ago I read a post where a shop drained the oil, re-filled with entire engine with Kerosene and let it sit for 1-2 days. They then drained and ran a couple of short ocis with diesel rated oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
fill the motor to the brim (the fill hole) with diesel with one quart of oil. Run for 10 minutes at idle with a few easy RPM raises.

sorry...... but this is a horrible idea

Originally Posted By: Kira
Did they do that warm or cold?
cold but probably doesn't matter because the engine isn't going to be running. I would do it warm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back