Why I've Decided to Ride Again After Bad Crash ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I can already feel a deficit in my life by not having a bike in the garage and knowing that when stress starts building up, I can gear up mount up and ride for a while to counter that stress. You don't think about your problems when you're riding. All my parts are just about back up to spec, left ankle range of motion is within maybe 10mm of the right in each movement and planar and dorsiflection strength and range of motion are good (the shifter lever movements). Doing 15 minutes in the stationary bike and 10 minutes on the stairmaster in the gym as cardio then hitting weight machines military press, upright seated bench press, seated bicep curl, standing tricep cable pull downs, and seated plate loaded lat pull machine. Then some Roman chair half situps (almost a crunch almost a situp). Some neck flexion work which has helped restore neck strength and head swivel from having been in the c-collar 10 weeks.

Trying to figure what will be next bike. Really intend to buy pre-owned this time. Moto Guzzi Norge a top contender. Wanting low tech, ability to DIY the serious maintenance like valve adjusts. My Ducati was heavy on tech and driveline & suspension electronic systems, they were all active, and I still wrecked upon encountering gravel on the blacktop-- think it had mainly to do with . . . . . . Being On Two Wheels.

Anyhow, the search is on.

I think we all know the feeling
grin.gif

Congratulations on your improvement...it sounds like you have made your own luck in your recovery.

LR,
great news.

i wrote before the words my uncle told me...
"there are 2 types of riders: those that have gone down and those that eventually will."

to me a true rider is not defined by the bike or clothes or gear or attitude they have on a bike,
but that burning inner NEED to ride.

it is clear you have it.

i dont get to ride as much as i want to...but just having the bike(s) in the garage and looking at them
and touching them always makes me feel better.

for me, not having a bike might as well chop off my head. a bike, any bike, is part of me.
steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh
...but just having the bike(s) in the garage and looking at them

Steve,

Somehow its good to know that I am not the only one who does this.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
LR,
great news.

i wrote before the words my uncle told me...
"there are 2 types of riders: those that have gone down and those that eventually will."

to me a true rider is not defined by the bike or clothes or gear or attitude they have on a bike,
but that burning inner NEED to ride.

it is clear you have it.

i dont get to ride as much as i want to...but just having the bike(s) in the garage and looking at them

for me, not having a bike might as well chop off my head. a bike, any bike, is part of me.
steve

Well said
thumbsup2.gif

I know the feeling! I don't have any motorcycles, but I love being out in the woods with the Jeep and my offroad friends ... for an afternoon, weekend trip ... or even a multi day road trip! Don't have to worry about anything when I'm in the woods!

Motorsport hobbies are a great way to deal with and relieve stress. I've considered giving up the Jeep thing quite a few times, but never could draw myself to do it just because of the other benefits of it.

01.gif

I went years without a bike... it was awful. Even though I've stretched the riding season to almost 8 months, I ache for it in the winter months.

Last edited:
Wife and I got a shock the other day. Not often do we see a dead body by the side of the road. A motorcyclist was there, probably crashed 15 minutes before, 2 cop cars, nobody else around, no ambulance (not needed), and they had a sheet covering the body mostly. Never found out if another vehicle was involved or it was just loss of control.
Same road nearby 2 months ago, a cyclist (non-motor type) swerved in front of an SUV after hitting a small rock on his English racer bike, killed on the spot.

Still, you gotta do what makes you happy. Hope for the best. Ride.

My friend bought a used 2007 Guzzi California and loves it. It has just enough 'old school' appeal with the right amount of modern touches. It's a smooth good looking bike with plenty of power for 2 up riding as well. The California is more in the vain of a cruiser, with a more upright seating position which you might not be interested in, but the Norge is a nice bike leaning more to the sport touring class. And congratulations on your commitment to your recovery.

http://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/moto/cruiser/California/California-1400-Touring-2017.html

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're going to be riding again. Years ago I moved to a new town after a divorce and got a terrible job until I could find a better one. Riding to work really helped to keep me on a even keel.

I've had very good luck with used bikes and been able to find them with the same upgrades that I would have wanted to do at a much lower price. Never owned or ridden a Guzzi but it sounds like you're on the right track.

"one of us, one of us, one of us" lol

Good job on using exercise to get back in working order. There is a famous author named Frederic Delavier who has pushed the notion that targeted exercise is the best way to address many bodily problems. You might look at some of his work.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/431815.Fr_d_ric_Delavier

About the bike: If you want easy DIY and low tech, go with a Honda. Their screw and nut valve adjusters are easy peasy.

Good to hear OP.

Honestly, I knew you were going to get back on, it was just a matter of when.

I never knew I had a need for a motorcycle, until I had one. Since then it has changed how I view myself and the world around me.

Cars regardless of size, power, etc all come and go. But there's something about a bike that is remarkably different and fills a primitive need that cannot be filled by anything else.

When my son was born I was riding a 750 Honda including a 25 mile one way commute. One day coming home from work I came upon an accident scene, an 18 wheeler rolled a stop and cloths lined a cyclist, killing him. Didn't see him. Could have easily been me. Rode home, sold the Honda. Made the decision that while you have no way of knowing your fate, I was not going to leave my son without a father because I chose to ride a motorcycle and got killed because of that choice alone. Mountain bikes have kept me on 2 wheels for 30 years since, and probably healthier at 60 than if I'd stayed on motors. You've done the math, hope there's nobody in you life that can't live without you if you don't get up the next time. In no way am I calling right or wrong.

I think that only people who ride understand your decision. I backed off riding for a while due to a knee injury(from a tree pruning accident). I'm planning to start back riding soon- but on a much smaller bike...

Moto Guzzi Norge - Wow that's a great looking bike. I'd not heard of that model before (not real familiar with Guzzi's), looks like they were going after the FJ1300 sort of market. Pretty interesting.

Whenever i get the itch i just go to a showroom and sit on one
smile.gif

My bike days are long gone.

I sometimes just want to buy one and ride around in the subdivision.
There are a few 9 year old or so kids that have mini bikes that do that
smile.gif

Teasing us old folks.

I know the feeling, when I got out of the hospital I was chomping at the bit to get on my yet to be acquired new bike. It never entered my mind not to ride again, I figured if I survive it I ride again.

I have owned 47 motorcycles. First was a 1971 Honda Z50 mini trail. Wish I still had it!!

11 of them were Honda CR250's , starting with a 1974 CR250M "Elsinore" (GEEZ I'm old, LOL!) and ending with a 1996 CR250. (Huge difference that 22 years can do!)

I'd still love to get another one, but would probably go with a 450R if I get another dirt bike.

My 1988 Softail is my third (and LAST) Harley. She'll be 30 next year. I know that bike inside & out, so I'll keep riding it as long as I can still get parts for it. It has a bazillion miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil (2nd engine, though). I still have my 1978 Shovelhead, too! (it's been a LONNNNG term project).

If I ever reach 50 motorcycles owned, I think I'll quit.

Last edited:
It's simple, you have a carrot in your you-know-what. and an itch.... a very big one.

pretty much, you like the hair in the wind, raw power under you butt, and to control it....

and after the accident, you will not be more careful, but more experienced...

Ride well my friend, Ride well!

P.S. i think we had one BITOG poster with a thread about 30-40 years of riding....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back