New 2017 silverado 5.3 v8 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Truck call for 0w20 dexos. Thinking about using 10w30 QS synthetic for more protection. Should I go with that or use 0w20/5w30 QS synthetic? What about qsb/pyb 10w30?

Thanks

A heavier weight won't give you better protection. I'd stick with the 0w20 unless i was doing a lot of towing.

A 30 grade probably won't give you any better wear protection, but it wouldn't hurt the engine either.
I would stay with a Dexos 0W-20 so you don't void the warranty, if something were to go wrong with the engine and they noticed that you didn't use a the oil they wanted you to use.

Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE is a thin 30 grade and works fine in engines sepc'd for 0W-20, really most manufacturers now spec 0W-20, because it improves their Corporte Average Fuel Economy ( CAFE ), Althouh others spec it because of fancy complicated variable valve timing systems that function based on oil pressure.

Sure, run the 10w-30, it will not protect any better than the 0w-20. MPG might take a hit but other than that go for it.

If this engine uses hydraulic VVT, then you will loose low end torque - something these engines in this application cannot afford to loose. See how it breaks in and runs after 2K miles. If it gets "clanky" when hot, substitute in a qt or 2 of of 10w30. No one will know if its the same line of product. Dealer Warranty concerns expressed here are silly. They just want to see oil between the lines on the dipstick and proof of a decent OCI.

ON my rogue with VVT you have to tailor the oil vis to get the VVT in the sweet spot for your driving style. I had to dump at qt and sub in a qt of 5w20 to thin the oil a bit. Other wize the car was mired in mud. at low rpm due to the VVT being under advanced due higher oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
A heavier weight won't give you better protection. I'd stick with the 0w20 unless i was doing a lot of towing.

+1 I agree - towing causes extra stress. Also - where does the OP live - 5W or 10W-30 might be more acceptable in Florida as opposed to North Dakota. But either way, unless towing a lot, I'd stick with the 0W-20 - lots of people have used it in trucks with no issues.

Former 2014 Silverado 5.3 owner and now 2017 GMC Sierra 5.3 owner..... nothing but 0W-20 for both of my DI 5.3's and no drama, no usage, no noise. I'd vote to stay with the GM engineers on this one.

I ran 0w-40 in a VVT 3.6 when we had our Acadia. Didn't notice any difference. Ran fine and the UOA came back the same as when I ran 5w-30. Changed oil at 5k miles every time. That is when the OLM was down to 0%.

The 4.3L V6 truck and 6.2L Corvette has the same AFM system and both are 5W30 engines.
What would happen if you put 5W30 Dexos in a 5.3L, would it blow up?

I live in MD. The VVT is new to me. I dont do towing, the biggest payload would only be hauling a ton of wood pellets. If the consensus is to stay with 0w20 any preferred bran? Im used to having earlier 2000 cars and can run anything in them

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The 4.3L V6 truck and 6.2L Corvette has the same AFM system and both are 5W30 engines.
What would happen if you put 5W30 Dexos in a 5.3L, would it blow up?

No, it wouldn't.

0W-20 spec is MAINLY for CAFE.

Your truck with a late model engine has clearances way tighter then before, so you need the 0W20 Dexos oil.

Worst case you'll do damage running the wrong oil, more so if you tow!

Yesterday's oil of is yesterday's engines, I know, it took a while to adjust for me too!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back