Polaris AGL analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a virgin oil analysis done on the Polaris AGL oil to see what magical things were in it, its posted over in the Virgin Oil Analysis forums if you're interested. Enjoy.

Polaris AGL analysis

Last edited:
I ve had various Polaris transmissions apart and I can tell you there is nothing in there real complicated.
Basically a big transfer case.
The only thing that it is a definite No-No to put in there is Gear oil. There is a three link chain (Silent Chain) that basically drives the entire transmission. Gear oil creates too much drag and stretches the chain. Changing the chain is about a 6-8 hour ordeal depending on the model.
I have put ATF +4 in there and had no issues as well as 5w20 motor oil. They like thinner oil and don't be alarmed by metal shavings on the magnet plug. It's normal and every one I ever had (around 30+) has had a nice pile of grey shavings on the plug at change time.
Great transmissions, tough and simple as long as you stay away from thick, gear oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I ve had various Polaris transmissions apart and I can tell you there is nothing in there real complicated.
Basically a big transfer case.
The only thing that it is a definite No-No to put in there is Gear oil. There is a three link chain (Silent Chain) that basically drives the entire transmission. Gear oil creates too much drag and stretches the chain. Changing the chain is about a 6-8 hour ordeal depending on the model.
I have put ATF +4 in there and had no issues as well as 5w20 motor oil. They like thinner oil and don't be alarmed by metal shavings on the magnet plug. It's normal and every one I ever had (around 30+) has had a nice pile of grey shavings on the plug at change time.
Great transmissions, tough and simple as long as you stay away from thick, gear oil.

Yeah, those HYVO chains shed metal big time. Have seen tons of them in Polaris snowmobile chain cases. Doesn't matter what lube you use, they'll still shed metal.

I uploaded it directly in the other thread.
Thanks for the tip, wasn't sure it was an option and after some digging, found it.

Good info, I have 5 different Polaris machines, using Coop 0w40 Diesel engine oil, syn blend HTF in the front diff (meets Hilliard specs with John Deere JDM J20C/J20D specs), which coincidentally is the same spec for Amsoil ATH which is recommended for the transmission also. I have 5w20 mineral chevron, syn atf, atf4, a few different things to run in the trans much cheaper than Polaris lubes. Not sure what to run in there. Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back