1999 4.3 Intake gaskets and coolant flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new project. 1999 S10 4.3 with only 50k miles. Intake manifold gaskets are shot and oil is leaking out the back of the intake and is in the oil (I'd guess a qt or two of water in the oil). The previous owner changed the WP right before it started leaking and was just tired of messing with it. I'm assuming the dexcool was never changed and he said the heat wasn't working great so I assume heater core is stopped up as well. I'm planning on changing the oil a few times quickly to clear out the milkshake; is that all I need to do? Also the radiator looks pretty rough through the cap but doesn't appear to be leaking should I just go ahead and replace it preventatively, or run a flush though it?

I had this happen on an 02 S10. After replacing the intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets, I recommend replacing the radiator, heater core, all coolant hoses, coolant overflow tank, and water pump. Then change the oil, drive for a day, change oil again, then do short oci until u are satisfied all coolant is gone from the crankcase. This is what I did, truck ran normal, had good AC and heat, zero leaks

I just took the intake off my '97 today this evening. I was leaking coolant around the entire thing, but it wasn't near as bad as yours. I've had it since March and added coolant the day I brought it home and have put about 6k on it.

When you buy the gaskets, buy the upgraded Fel Pro 98002. The kit came with gaskets for the injector setup, plenum and valve covers too.

I'm personally thinking about giving the Mercedes citric acid flush a try. I found an online source for $17 shipped.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I had this happen on an 02 S10. After replacing the intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets, I recommend replacing the radiator, heater core, all coolant hoses, coolant overflow tank, and water pump. Then change the oil, drive for a day, change oil again, then do short oci until u are satisfied all coolant is gone from the crankcase. This is what I did, truck ran normal, had good AC and heat, zero leaks

I like your style, but there is no way I'm messing with that heater core if I can flush it out and it doesn't leak.. What a pain in the butt. I can get a radiator off ebay/amazon for $50 so I may just go ahead and do that.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Originally Posted By: barkingspider

I like your style, but there is no way I'm messing with that heater core if I can flush it out and it doesn't leak.. What a pain in the butt. I can get a radiator off ebay/amazon for $50 so I may just go ahead and do that.

Replacing all that is total overkill.

You can try to flush out the cooling system with a detergent to try to get rid of the oil residue and then with citric acid to put a dent on the Dex-Sludge. The Mercedes guys who do acid flushes say to begin using Shout as the detergent.

A few here say if you can find old school phosphated Cascade(I think P&G sells it as Cascade Professional fryer cleaner), even better as you have something that doesn't foam up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back