Primewell Recalls 400,000 Tires in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/07/almost-400000-primewell-tyres-recalled-in-the-usa/

Quote:
A total of 394,378 Primewell brand passenger car tyres are being recalled in the USA due to their potential to develop cracks in the lower sidewall. Beginning 20 July, GITI Tire (USA) Ltd. is recalling the replacement market Primewell Valera Touring II in sizes 185/65R14 86H, 195/60R15 88H, 205/55R16 91H, 205/60R16 92V, 215/60R17 96H and 235/60R17 102T.

Originally Posted By: ted s
never heard of them

Firestone Tire carries the line.

Very inexpensive tire option.

They are a budget brand in the UK.

If memory serves they are Made in China but have R&D in the USA and Europe.

Can't say i would ever consider buying them but wouldn't throw them away if they were on a used car unless they proved to be less than brilliant.

Guess I'll have to check the Focuses when I get home, 18/65/R14 and should be manufactured around that time. Haven't notice any cracking. Knowing Firestone they'll try to make everyone repay for the road hazard.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
GITI Tire, new manufacturing plant in South Carolina. Potential cracks not good, but seems they're doing the right thing.

GITI will be an OE tire on the 2019 VW Passat

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/722...lkswagen-passat

Quote:
Two sizes of the All Season Giti ComfortA1 tire will be featured as original equipment tires on the 2019 Volkswagen Passat. Giti Tire (USA) Ltd. says the tires represent the first OE fitment that will be manufactured at the company's U.S. tire plant.

The 2019 Volkswagen Passat will feature the Giti tire in sizes 235/45R18 95H and 235/40R19 92H.

My neighbor a few years ago had a hyundai tiberon with primewell tires.

One day he went to move it and had a flat tire.

He was a smaller guy and lacking tools(but an excellent neighbor) He was trying to jump up and down on the dogleg wrench but the lugnuts werent moving... so I took some tools and a good jack over and helped him remove it.

WHOLE INSIDE SIDEWALL had a crack big enough to put 2 hands in side by side.
outside looked MINT. He said tires were 2-3 years old.

They bought cheap off brand imported tires and got what they deserved:
7a419_haha-nelson.jpg

I've never been part of a tire recall. Hopefully never will. Curious how it works... The article reads: "Giti Tire states that recalled tyres will be replaced free of charge, including mounting, balancing, and taxes." Do customers get new tires of same brand only? Is original receipt required? Only particular locations can perform this service? Anyone had to deal with something like this?

Made in Indonesia (at least the LT 17's are)

I wish my LT tires size was covered....

The Primewells that came on my other F150 never sidewall cracked, but every single one had a bulge in the tread LONG before they were worn. They are gone now, anyway - and since I am not the original purchaser they probably wouldn't warranty them anyway. But I'll never buy Primewell tires again.

Originally Posted By: anl0109
Do customers get new tires of same brand only?

They will not substitute competitors tires.

If the tire shop will work with you, you can take your 4 brand-new Primewell tires and "trade them in" (before mounting) on the ones you want, but the discount is pretty steep (& not in your favor)

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
GITI Tire, new manufacturing plant in South Carolina. Potential cracks not good, but seems they're doing the right thing.

GITI will be an OE tire on the 2019 VW Passat

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/722...lkswagen-passat

Quote:
Two sizes of the All Season Giti ComfortA1 tire will be featured as original equipment tires on the 2019 Volkswagen Passat. Giti Tire (USA) Ltd. says the tires represent the first OE fitment that will be manufactured at the company's U.S. tire plant.

The 2019 Volkswagen Passat will feature the Giti tire in sizes 235/45R18 95H and 235/40R19 92H.
As if there weren't enough reasons already.....

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Why do the Chinese made tires seem to sidewall crack early?

Why do Michelin Tires crack at 4 times the price of Chinese Tires?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Why do the Chinese made tires seem to sidewall crack early?

Why do Michelin Tires crack at 4 times the price of Chinese Tires?

Lol got quiet after that...

Looks like mine is included.. weird they look perfect. Only a year old though. Guess I'll wait to see if we hear anything.

Thanks for the post. We bought my wife's Scion used, with a glovebox of service receipts from Firestone for it.

Sure enough we have Primewell valera touring II tires in 205/55/R16 H Rated with date codes 5015 and 4915.

Says the recall starts 7/20/17.

I'll take the car to firestone and let them put new tires on it for free. We have not had any issues with the primewell tire, they have about 20k miles on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back