Does my driving routine cause dirty injectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to if I should take my truck out on a nice long drive once a week. This is with my truck in my sig below. I generally run about 25 miles per day towing a landscape trailer which weighs about 2000 pounds. I think I do about 5 or 6 stops per day, sometimes more sometimes less. The truck usually stays pretty close to operating temperature the whole day and regularly hits 900 degrees egt. It does idle for about 10 minutes everyday twice a day to hook and unhook the trailer.

Opinions? I just find after doing this for a week or even 3 of 4 days in a row the truck seems to run kind of rough at idle, versus after taking it out for a long 30-40 mile run it runs nice and smooth.

I use stanadyne lubricity formula. It's supposed to add lubricant and clean, but doesn't boost cetane

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I use stanadyne lubricity formula. It's supposed to add lubricant and clean, but doesn't boost cetane

There was a test out several years ago that gave positive reviews to a Stanadyne product but it may have been the blue bottle.

I don't know how much detergent and fuel system cleaner the "Lubricity Formula" has compared to the "Performance Formula" in the blue bottle but I do think your use of this product helps to treat your concern.

Yeah I read the test and the lubricity formula was like 3rd or 4th down the list I believe it provides a 164 wear scar improvement or however they measure it. untreated diesel is 636 and it's supposed to be 540 when treated, I believe in Europe, which has much better diesel it's 480 if I remember right. The lower the number the better.

I have periodically used power service grey bottle and I believe the cetane boost really smoothes things out.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have periodically used power service grey bottle and I believe the cetane boost really smoothes things out.

Well if you have noticed a positive difference with a cetane boost and you like the Stanadyne then you might try the Performance blue bottle.

I stopped at AdvanceAuto yesterday and both Performance and Lubricity formula were on clearance price of $5/bottle even though the website did not reflect the lower prices.

BTW, several parts of TX do require diesel pumps to have a higher CN of, I think near 50.
But there was something to do with a "100-County in East TX" exclusion or some such thing.
Do you know anything about that? Do you belong to any diesel truck forums local to your area? I reckon they would be up on it.

What emissions equipment does your 2007.5 have? Does it have a tune or any exhaust mods? I doubt that dirty fuel injectors are the problem. They could be worn out, but I don't think dirty is your problem. How well does the truck start the first time you start it for the day? I have been working at a Dodge dealer for just over a year now and we see more exhaust and electronic related issues than fuel problems on 6.7's. I have a 2011 in the shop now that needs a turbo cleaning. The only problem is that it has an unknown tune and something in the software is preventing our computer from running the cleaning procedure.

It does have a weird miss whenever you put it in reverse such as backing up a trailer. I have to blip the throttle slightly to get it to go away. You can hear it and feel it if you put your hand by the exhaust, but it's done that for as long as I can remember. For some reason they make it from the factory so the rpm drops down to like 500rpm from 700rpm when you put it in reverse. It doesn't do it all the time though. I'm pretty sure the truck did this even when it was only a couple years old, at least that's when I noticed it.

Back to your original concern in the subject title, I don't think your issue is dirty injectors since you are using Stanadyne AND I found an old thread of yours saying you are fuelling with B5:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3589564/is_all_diesel_fuel_now_b5?

AVB is on the right track looking for other causes.

Do you have gauges? What is your typical EOT during the day ? Being Houston, I bet it does not take long getting up to operating temp
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Back to your original concern in the subject title, I don't think your issue is dirty injectors since you are using Stanadyne AND I found an old thread of yours saying you are fuelling with B5:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3589564/is_all_diesel_fuel_now_b5?

AVB is on the right track looking for other causes.

Do you have gauges? What is your typical EOT during the day ? Being Houston, I bet it does not take long getting up to operating temp
grin.gif

It takes about 5 miles of driving to warm up. It's more like takes a long time to cool down which is why I said it pretty much stays at operating temp the whole day. I don't know what the oil temp is that's just the coolant temp.

I filled up today and didn't use the stanadyne additive because I forgot to bring it with. It ran pretty smooth, could the lubricity additive cause the shake or do you think the last couple tanks have been low cetane diesel fuel or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back