RockAuto UltraFast Toyota copy used oil filter cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys as promised here are the pics of the Toyota copy filter I previously posted the virgin cut pics of. This filter was in use for 5515 miles with PYB SAE 30 in my 2004 Lexus ES330. No drama here looks good. ADBV was a little stiff but still pliable. ADBV action after removing the filter wasn't great as it leaked oil when turned over. No startup issues noted in use. It was good enough for me to spin on another one to run for another 5k.

A UOA with particle count to compare with the previously run Fram Ultra is forthcoming.

We never did determine the COO for these in that other thread.

We don't see the louvered center tubes in China made filters that I know of.
I still find it interesting these have the "P" style gasket, you just don't see that often.

Looks good overall, and interested to see the particle count.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks good and did you put VWB SAE 30 or PYB SAE 30?

His post says PYB.

Looks good and did you put VWB SAE 30 or PYB SAE 30?

Refilled with Valvoline SynPower 20w50 from end of the year clearance sales. Moving into the hottest part of the summer here so I figured why not. Will run it another 5k and refill with something else from the stash.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Looks like it did a fine job. I would use those all day long. Thanks.

We will see what the UOA and particle count shows. Either way it worked and didn't tear in the 5,500 miles it was on the car with SAE 30 oil in use. So in other words better than some Purolator filters...

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: sw99
Looks like it did a fine job. I would use those all day long. Thanks.

We will see what the UOA and particle count shows. Either way it worked and didn't tear in the 5,500 miles it was on the car with SAE 30 oil in use. So in other words better than some Purolator filters...

LOL! You're correct as I have reservations on using my Bosch Distance +

LOL! You're correct as I have reservations on using my Bosch Distance +

That is the only Puro made filter I don't have a problem using (I have 4-5 in my filter stash).

It's too easy to get caught up in marketing that anything synthetic is automatically best. A cellulose media has nature's randomness, synthetic with all the same size fibers not so much randomness. The only thing that counts is what is in the oil pan at change time. The parts of a cellulose filter that are very dense and fine can and do act like tiny bypass filters. I think a synthetic blend may be the best of both worlds. IMHO
34.gif

Thank you for the update, Sir!

The RockAuto Chinese Toyota-knock-off counterfeit oil filter looks OK and performed OK according to the particle count.

However, after visiting your previous UOA, Fram Ultra particle counts look dismal. They are somewhat in the unacceptable range for an engine oil filter. What went wrong with the Fram Ultra? Did it clog and run in the bypass mode? Did Blackstone make a mistake in the particle counts? You certainly had no wear metals at all though. How do we explain the BITOG-darling mighty Fram Ultra performing so miserably? Unfortunately I can't find any other Fram Ultra particle counts on the Internet. If these numbers are real, Fram Ultra is a very poor-quality oil filter in real-life applications. Let's hope not.

How do you sample your oil by the way? Dipstick? Midstream oil drain?

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/particle-count-test.php

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
However, after visiting your previous UOA, Fram Ultra particle counts look dismal. They are somewhat in the unacceptable range for an engine oil filter. What went wrong with the Fram Ultra? Did it clog and run in the bypass mode? Did Blackstone make a mistake in the particle counts? You certainly had no wear metals at all though. How do we explain the BITOG-darling mighty Fram Ultra performing so miserably? Unfortunately I can't find any other Fram Ultra particle counts on the Internet. If these numbers are real, Fram Ultra is a very poor-quality oil filter in real-life applications. Let's hope not.

One data point ... I'd call it a fluke, or something went wrong with the filter and/or PC process until proven otherwise. There was also someone else who posted particle count data for a Fram TG (almost as efficient as the Ultra) used on a motorcycle with shared transmission/clutch, and the PC after 5K miles was cleaner than the new oil in the bottle. Link HERE

According to Blackstone's ISO Code "cleanliness scale" for engine lubes (your link), those are both "dirty". Probably need a full blown 2 micron bypass filtering setup to get well into the "clean" realm or better.

I saw the comparison on the UOA board and with the particle counts of the two filters(topic/FU) noted. I found the results mildly interesting but not a definitive indication of anything outside of a two anecdotes comparison with particle counts.

Apparently some put ultimate faith in the validity and reliability of UOA 'particle counts', I'm not one of them. 'IMO', far too many variables involved in the whole process from start to finish to make any definitive comparisons or conclusions between filters, oils or much of anything. This case in point, particle count comparison didn't turn out as one 'might' expect, so skepticism is there for some. To me though it's just an extra data point test BlSt sells to it's customers. But, that's just me.

As for the topic "RA Chinese Toyota-knock-off counterfeit oil filter", looks to be decent construction and seems to have held up well over the 5500 miles.

Thanks for c&p.

Looks like these cheapo oil filters work just fine.
Good to know!
Thanks for the PC as well as the C&P.
This is some real data and not mere propaganda.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Thank you for the update, Sir!

The RockAuto Chinese Toyota-knock-off counterfeit oil filter looks OK and performed OK according to the particle count.

How do you sample your oil by the way? Dipstick? Midstream oil drain?

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/particle-count-test.php

Oil was sampled both times with a Blackstone sample pump via the dipstick tube after a long highway run prior to starting it up to pull it onto ramps to change the oil. I was really disappointed by the Ultra particle count when I originally got the report as well. I was even more disappointed when I got this latest report with a $1.41 unknown quality filter. I have another one of these filters in use nlw and I will get another PC with the next UOA to see how it compares to this most recent run. I will run another ultra in the future and get a PC again for comparison. But all that will take time.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks like these cheapo oil filters work just fine.
Good to know!
Thanks for the PC as well as the C&P.
This is some real data and not mere propaganda.

Thanks for the kind words. I prefer to try and gather as much data as I can to provide information to the group vs just speculating.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I saw the comparison on the UOA board and with the particle counts of the two filters(topic/FU) noted. I found the results mildly interesting but not a definitive indication of anything outside of a two anecdotes comparison with particle counts.

Apparently some put ultimate faith in the validity and reliability of UOA 'particle counts', I'm not one of them. 'IMO', far too many variables involved in the whole process from start to finish to make any definitive comparisons or conclusions between filters, oils or much of anything. This case in point, particle count comparison didn't turn out as one 'might' expect, so skepticism is there for some. To me though it's just an extra data point test BlSt sells to it's customers. But, that's just me.

As for the topic "RA Chinese Toyota-knock-off counterfeit oil filter", looks to be decent construction and seems to have held up well over the 5500 miles.

Thanks for c&p.

My pleasure. Not sure how much faith I have in the PC either after seeing these results. However it's only one data point per filter. With different oils and different filters run for different intervals. Next sample has the same filter in place with a different oil. I'll get another PC at the next OCI for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back