Why Did Mobil 1 Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they already have the 15k M1 EP, they should price the new M1 Annual 20k at 1.33 times EP's price. That would put it at $26 x 1.33 = $35. They are very close to that, having discounted M1 Annaul to $40 now (and even $30 with Walmart e-gift card rebate).

I don't think I have seen it in WalMart the few times I have been since this oil was released. I wouldn't mind paying more for a better oil but they don't have it in 5W50 so it is of no use to me.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Is there an official announcement that it's failed? Or is t, as the media jackals say "reports are"?

I keep seeing the commercial with Kevin Harvick. They have spent a ton on advertising.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
People with warranties can't use it. Motorheads can't wait a entire year and people with junkers won't pay that.
The synthetic oil market is flooded.

Yep. You're 1000% correct.

I see walmart is full of it all the time. Its competing with itself, and in a bad way. I think the point above about warranty and people with junkers is spot on. I have a car with warranty and can't use it. I also have a junker and I already do annual oil changes on oil that is half the price. I think until manufacturers allow for a 20k mile oil change, it won't catch on.

A very lightweight piece of writing that reflects a complete ignorance of the DIY oil market.
M1 was a successful brand long before Chevy recommended it for their plastic fantastic.
M1 flavors sell in greater volume than does every other synthetic labeled oil combined, so Mobil must be doing something right.
M1 AP may be suffering from a reluctance of the DIY market to pay fifty bucks a jug for oil, but that matters not at all for XOM and the M1 brand.
As you noted in another thread, even M1 AP can be had for under thirty bucks a jug and this has been the case for a while.
I actually saw someone with a jug of M1 AP in their cart today. With store deals and the MIR, he would have been down to around $25 for the jug. Not so unreasonable.

People with warranties can't use it. Motorheads can't wait a entire year and people with junkers won't pay that.

No doubt most people think that. Mobil had hoped the new cars would use it at normal oil change intervals. For example, you pay $30k for your new pickup truck, maybe a consumer will want to use the best.

I was in WM today in Granite City, Il. and the AP section was almost sold out. Now the price was reduced to $38. If they dropped the price to $30-33, I'm sure it would sell nearly as well as the other M1 oils.

This seems a tad premature with the OP speculating in the piece he's penned that the product has already failed with so little time on the market. It may in fact be a flop, however I think that's still to be seen.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I was in WM today in Granite City, Il. and the AP section was almost sold out. Now the price was reduced to $38. If they dropped the price to $30-33, I'm sure it would sell nearly as well as the other M1 oils.

Exactly right, IMO.

When regular Mobil 1 can be had for $23 a 5 qt. jug on 'Rollback...and Mobil 1 EP can be had for $25 on 'Rollback'...Mobil 1 AP should be $28ish on 'Rollback'....$40 or $50 is too pricey for most people when Mobil 1 EP can do a year/15K in most cases....

The marketing is fail. 95% of people dont give a hoot about 15k(EP) vs 20k

first off how many people would do 20k oil changes vs 15k... and how many drive enough miles in a year.

They need to focus marketing on why its the best oil not simply longer drains.

Also it was severely overpriced at $50

You hit the nail on the head

Our male egos .Forum Stats
62150 Members
66 Forums
267903 Topics
4432652 Posts
lots of folks in here never post.............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back