'13 Tundra - TRD or Amsoil filter vs. OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stumbled across this forum and have been doing some research. I've always been a fan of using the best oil, and even, more importantly, the best oil filter for my vehicles. Current vehicle is a '13 Tundra with the 5.7 flex engine. I tow a 6,000 lb. travel trailer a few weekends a year.

I just learned that the TRD filters fit my Tundra engine. I also read a lot of good things about the Amsoil filters. From secondhand information, it seems like both filters claim a 98% reduction in particulates at a 20 micron size. I haven't been able to find any data on my OEM paper filter, but going to the full synthetic filter (both TRD and Amsoil) I expect an improvement in filtering.

If it matters I'm likely going to use Penzoil Platinum oil. Mobil 1 is also a smaller possibility.

Are the TRD and Amsoil pretty equivalent? Do you recommend a different filter?

Last edited:
Why not just run factory filters. Unless your truly extending intervals stock fliters are cheap and are pretty good.

I guess that depends on how well the basic OEM filters perform. My research suggests that they are offer significantly less performance, although I've had to crib that together from anecdotal evidence. For the extra $10 per oil change I'm happy to use a higher quality filter. I tend to keep my vehicles until they are almost unfixable (e.g. engine rebuild needed).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hal3134
I guess that depends on how well the basic OEM filters perform. My research suggests that they are offer significantly less performance, although I've had to crib that together from anecdotal evidence. For the extra $10 per oil change I'm happy to use a higher quality filter.

If you are concerned that the OEM filter is detrimental in the long run. then that sounds like what you should do.

Are you going to double stint the TRD filter since it's so high end?

I did a UOA on the Camry at the 60k mark and filtration and wear results were excellent using the oem filter.

Last edited:
If you are wanting particle removal, look into a Microgreen oil filter. There were tests on this site comparing it to a K&N oil filter. The MG had over 50% less particles tested in the oil. That's why I run them. Great filters but a bit pricey. Worth it. Use a good quality oil, PP is good. You will be set.

If by double stint you mean swap it out every other oil change, then the answer is no, probably not. The cost of the oil filter is a small investment in the life of my Tundra.

I'm happy to change my mind and save a few bucks, however, when I see some data that says that would be ok to do.

What is "UOA"?

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
If you are wanting particle removal, look into a Microgreen oil filter. There were tests on this site comparing it to a K&N oil filter. The MG had over 50% less particles tested in the oil. That's why I run them. Great filters but a bit pricey. Worth it. Use a good quality oil, PP is good. You will be set.

Thanks, any data/opinions on how it compares to the TRD and Amsoil filters?

Hal,
No sir. I was told by a rep that it is 80% @25-40 micron and 96% @5 micron. It is a bypass type oil filter with a regular element. Two filters in one.

Hal,
No sir. I was told by a rep that it is 80% @25-40 micron and 96% @5 micron. It is a bypass type oil filter with a regular element. Two filters in one.

Shouldn't the smaller particle size have the lower percentage?

The main filter is basically a rock catcher...the bypass part is a round super dense disk. Look it up, it's really cool how they did it.

The main filter is basically a rock catcher...the bypass part is a round super dense disk. Look it up, it's really cool how they did it.

It may be really cool but there is no ISO 4548-12 data published by microGreen to show it is any better or worse than any other filter. Multiple people here have requested such data from them but to no avail.

Please provide a link to the test you reference against the K&N filter.

Thanks, any data/opinions on how it compares to the TRD and Amsoil filters?

No data. microGreen does not publish the results of any ISO 4548-12 tests they may have performed.

Are the TRD and Amsoil pretty equivalent?

Any takers on this?

I guess that depends on how well the basic OEM filters perform. My research suggests that they are offer significantly less performance, although I've had to crib that together from anecdotal evidence. For the extra $10 per oil change I'm happy to use a higher quality filter. I tend to keep my vehicles until they are almost unfixable (e.g. engine rebuild needed).

Using OEM filters is unlikely to have such an impact. You should focus more of your time on other factors. Toyotas run for hundreds of thousands of miles on conventional oil and rock catchers, so not sure what you plan to prove. Most people scrap their cars with transmission issues or other issues before the engines become the problem.

Any takers on this?

Sure. From what I've seen they are both well made filters, at least from appearance. The canister variety has a heavy wall can and the internals look robust.

Does Toyota/TRD publish filtration data for the filters any more? At one time they provided sketchy and incomplete data on their website but I don't know if they still do. If you don't have that then what I posted above is all you can say.

Any takers on this?

Don't forget about the air filter which is probably more important than the oil filter.

Any takers on this?

It's often difficult to find all the comparative data we want - and even more difficult to have all the testing done by independent parties.

As a result, it's easier for me to rely on the testing/approval that the manufacturer of our engine does to determine suitability of parts, including oil filters.

Toyota have approved two oil filters for the 5.7L engine, and you can buy both at a Toyota dealer's parts counter (or any reputable online source, but that's not my point). Since both are sold by Toyota, there is never any doubt that either one will do the job, but one is sold as a premium alternative - that's the TRD oil filter.

Reading through this thread, it is clear that several posters don't even know what style oil filter we're talking about. Here's a couple of comparison pics of the Toyota paper filter and the Toyota (TRD) all synthetic filter:

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo6_19MA_zps9ed7fff6.jpg

Part numbers for both:

LC200OilFilterComparo7_19MA_zps88447c56.jpg

Paper:

LC200OilFilterComparo3_19MA_zps64027a90.jpg

Synthetic:

LC200OilFilterComparo2_19MA_zps91db2cfd.jpg

For use on my 5.7L in my 2013 Land Cruiser, it's an easy choice - TRD all day long.

HTH

If by double stint you mean swap it out every other oil change, then the answer is no, probably not. The cost of the oil filter is a small investment in the life of my Tundra.

I'm happy to change my mind and save a few bucks, however, when I see some data that says that would be ok to do.

What is "UOA"?

UOA = Used Oil Analysis.

What's your oil change interval (OCI)? If it's 5K~6K then I'd use an Ultra and leave it on for 2 OCIs. But if you don't like doing that, then change it every OCI. The TRD and Amsoil are also good filters, but the Ultra is actually a little more efficient. Any one of those 3 would work fine - you're in hair splitting territory comparing those 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back