Recall for my 2016 Chev Spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

The reason is if a child age 3 to 6 is in the front passenger seat unbuckled and the airbag went off...lateral forces on the kid would exceed specifications.

What is wrong with this picture? Kid is not supposed to be in the front seat let alone unbuckled.

Needless to say I am not getting the recall done. Again one of the reasons that vehicle prices are high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
The reason is if a child age 3 to 6 is in the front passenger seat unbuckled and the airbag went off...lateral forces on the kid would exceed specifications.

What is wrong with this picture? Kid is not supposed to be in the front seat let alone unbuckled.

Needless to say I am not getting the recall done. Again one of the reasons that vehicle prices are high.

Dawoo or whomever made that car designed it for the Asian market where adults aren't are shorter, skinny and weigh like some 6 year old Americans.
The car is being recalled to be Americanized.

Last edited:
Not supposed to and isn't are two different things. I do believe some states do not have min age for front seat usage. Also, when you run out of rear seats it's customary to use the front seat.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Dawoo or whomever made that car designed it for the Asian market where adults aren't are shorter, skinny and weigh like some 6 year old Americans.

Its not Dawoo its designed and built by chevrolet. It has huge head and leg room. And again why should it have to accomodate someone who is not belted in? ..and Asin adults are not the equivalent of 3 to 6 years old American kids.

Originally Posted By: supton
Not supposed to and isn't are two different things. I do believe some states do not have min age for front seat usage. Also, when you run out of rear seats it's customary to use the front seat.

But again..not belted in???

Last edited:
What if the car was parked, sitting in a parking lot, people getting in and out, or people just hanging out in the car, and... bam! someone else hits a parked car? parking lot, driveway, side of the road. But not moving.

I presume the standards are published; and were designed with some thinking behind them.

Its not Dawoo its designed and built by chevrolet. It has huge head and leg room. And again why should it have to accomodate someone who is not belted in? ..and Asin adults are not the equivalent of 3 to 6 years old American kids.

The Cruze(which is also sold as an Aveo overseas), Sonic and Spark all have varying degrees of Daewoo in it, as a matter of fact Daewoo, Opel and Holden had say in the 3, just that one is made in Korea for global consumption(Spark), the others were built worldwide - until GM wound down Holden's Cruze line. The Cruze is built in Ohio, while the Sonic was made in Michigan, until GM laid off part of that plant's staff due to slow sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sonic being built by Daewoo or GM Shanghai if it lives another day.

Asians until recently were shorter and skinnier than Americans - but now that McDonald's/Burger King/KFC are aggressively expanding outside of Japan, Korea and China are reporting that their children are seeing the same obesity crisis as we are here. But that's a different topic.

It's simply a measure for GM to protect themselves from liability. Unfortunately they have to go through these expensive measures, which as you say, is reflected in the cost of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: nthach

The Cruze(which is also sold as an Aveo overseas), Sonic and Spark all have varying degrees of Daewoo in it, as a matter of fact Daewoo, Opel and Holden had say in the 3, just that one is made in Korea for global consumption(Spark), the others were built worldwide - until GM wound down Holden's Cruze line. The Cruze is built in Ohio, while the Sonic was made in Michigan, until GM laid off part of that plant's staff due to slow sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sonic being built by Daewoo or GM Shanghai if it lives another day.

Asians until recently were shorter and skinnier than Americans - but now that McDonald's/Burger King/KFC are aggressively expanding outside of Japan, Korea and China are reporting that their children are seeing the same obesity crisis as we are here. But that's a different topic.

I have no idea what "varying degrees of Daewoo" means if GM has owned Daewoo since 2001 and the entity that built the Spark has been known as GM Korea since 2011. I believe the recall involves the propellant force of the airbags for which there have been several recalls across different makes. I doubt that the size of the average three to six year old Asian kid and fast food has much to do with it versus "nanny" liability laws involving adjusting the airbags.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
What exactly does the recall do? Remove child from front seat?

No, the air bag will do that. :)

Originally Posted By: nthach
Sonic and Spark all have varying degrees of Daewoo in it, as a matter of fact Daewoo, Opel and Holden had say in the 3, just that one is made in Korea for global consumption(Spark), the others were built worldwide - until GM wound down Holden's Cruze line. The Cruze is built in Ohio, while the Sonic was made in Michigan, until GM laid off part of that plant's staff due to slow sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sonic being built by Daewoo or GM Shanghai if it lives another day.

Dawoo has not made vehicles since 2011. They are out of that business. But actually Dawoo made some pretty good cars. My dauthter had a laganza for 6 years. Not one problem with it.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Originally Posted By: E150GT
What exactly does the recall do? Remove child from front seat?

No, the air bag will do that. :)

lol

Last edited:
My Aunt has a Spark and got that recall notice too. She also mentioned that she wouldn't have a kid between 3-6 in the front in the first place.

GM is really freaked out after the whole "unintended key rotation" thing though. Seems like they have a safety campaign/recall for just about every model now.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
My Aunt has a Spark and got that recall notice too. She also mentioned that she wouldn't have a kid between 3-6 in the front in the first place.

GM is really freaked out after the whole "unintended key rotation" thing though. Seems like they have a safety campaign/recall for just about every model now.

True. A lawyer designed and built Spark would cost $123,000 instead of $12,300

Did you proof read that ?

You can buy a Spark for around 10K.
I know because I trolled the bottom end of the new car market this year.
Of course, we ended up with a new Subaru Forester for my wife for quite a few K more, but I did consider one of these bottom basement cars.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You can buy a Spark for around 10K.
I know because I trolled the bottom end of the new car market this year.
Of course, we ended up with a new Subaru Forester for my wife for quite a few K more, but I did consider one of these bottom basement cars.

Good luck with that price. Of course it is a lower end car but it has a lot of features..not the least is 10 air bags.
And since I got the vehicle calculated gas mileage is 38.1 mpg. 90% of my driving is into town and back on a rural road. My average speed in the 12000+ miles I have it is 26 mph. Perfect for me. Its not a family car.

BTW I have a Subaru Forester also...2008 173000 miles.It will outlive me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back