World Standard Toyota ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called my Toyota dealership and asked the service manager how often do I change my transmission fluid. His response was "it's World Standard ATF and it's a lifetime fluid that doesn't need to be changed"
confused.gif

So I regretfully asked "what's the definition of lifetime"?. His response..."for as long as you own the truck".
crazy.gif

So I turn to you BITOG members.

All I want to do is change from their unknown fluids and go with AMSOIL.

I tow occasionally and drive to AZ. on occasion as well.

Anyone know of this World Standard ATF fluid? Is it any good?

Thanks.

2015 Tundra CrewMax
5.7 automatic
45000 miles.

I have changed my truck over from toyota trans fluid to amsoil. I will also be changing the trans fluid in my prius the uses toyota WS (world standard) to amsoil as well.

For your tundra I believe you will need the amsoil fuel efficient atf.

As for the WS fluid I believe it is a synthetic blend atf (based on posts here).

The general consensus online is WS should be changed out (ideally for a better fluid as you're doing) after maybe 75k miles at the latest.
Sure, it will last long as you own your truck- as many people will simply get rid of a vehicle when its transmission fails.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
It's a mediocre oil with a short "lifetime".

+1. "Mediocre" is a gentle phrasing.

It is actually possibly worse than the T-IV fluid it replaced, despite being advertised as lifetime and reputedly semi syn. Some get decent lifetime out of it, but in others it fails quickly. A poster said yesterday his IS started slipping at 40k on it. My neighbor's 4Runner started slipping markedly on mild uphills at about 80/85k on it. There is a dramatic variance in people's experience with it. This argues that it might be questionable from some suppliers vs. others; it's doubtful Toyota sources it from the same refiner globally.

By all means, pump it all out via the transmission cooler line and refill with Amsoil or any good synthetic LV fluid.

WS isn't designed to be a long life fluid. The original WS that came out of a 04 Lexus LS430 w/ 98,000mi smells and looks like a junkyards used oil collection bin. In a "severe" service (everyday driving) application such as large sedans and trucks I would do a full exchange every 30,000mi if you really want to keep using WS (for warranty or in fears in running a universal fluid.)

I wish I knew a lot more on WS but what I know is that most universal LV ATF's can mimic it.

There is NO SUCH THING as a lifetime fluid - the person you spoke to was a bare faced liar.

Refill with a fluid of the correct viscosity ASAP!!

Originally Posted By: Olas
There is NO SUCH THING as a lifetime fluid - the person you spoke to was a bare faced liar.

that's funny...I have 94k miles on mine and to be honest, it looks like the day I brought the RAV home.

Toyota hasn't made it easy to refill or check the level of the ATF---they've done away with the fill tube and dipstick. I've had the ATF in my wife's '11 Highlander's U760 transmission changed over to Amsoil SS LV by a local transmission shop familiar with the weird refill and temperature parameters for these transmissions, and it works perfectly well at 117K miles. I've only had the pan dropped, filter replaced, and the ATF refilled--no complete fluid swap. I had it changed at 30K and 70K, and, at the last visit, the shop owner advised that the pan and used filter were both so clean that there was no reason to do it again for another 50K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10

that's funny...I have 94k miles on mine and to be honest, it looks like the day I brought the RAV home.

Most people are overly paranoid here... I would do a drain and fill every 75-100k miles. I doubt most people even touch the trans fluid and Id bet their transmissions are still lasting 300k miles plus.

Question: does dirty oil impact clutch life? If it doesn't (or has negligible impact) then I too wonder if its overblown. Fresh oil is better but don't most transmissions need repairs due to failed parts or failed clutches? And not for failed bearings?

Motor oil isn't shot when it turns black.

Has anyone found a test that puts World Standard against the known top performer fluids? If not, maybe someone can do one (hint...hint...
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
)

I just do a drain, measure and refill with Dexron VI fluid in place of Toyota WS in both my FJ Cruiser and my Tundra's when I had them. Usually do this about every 10K-20K and got plenty of life out of my Toyota transmissions doing.

Nothing special about WS and as others have mentioned, plenty of better compatible options out there in place of it.

amsoil in mine. they have a low vis version which matches the WS spec. I'm at 150,000, with 50k being mine with amsoil, and still tow the family camper.

Amsoil operates far better than the BG syn universal installed by the dealer 3,000 miles before I bought the truck (they gave me its previous service history).

An external spin-on filter was easy in the hood of my 06. The trans doesn't miss a beat, and at least one of the previous owners towed with it too (remnants of a previous brake controller when I bought it).

-m

Originally Posted By: DMBFan
Has anyone found a test that puts World Standard against the known top performer fluids? If not, maybe someone can do one (hint...hint...
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
)

Try SAE paper #2007-10-29

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: philipp10

Most people are overly paranoid here... I would do a drain and fill every 75-100k miles. I doubt most people even touch the trans fluid and Id bet their transmissions are still lasting 300k miles plus.

Transmission longevity is not about fluid changes....it's about the design of the transmission up front.

Originally Posted By: supton
Question: does dirty oil impact clutch life? If it doesn't (or has negligible impact) then I too wonder if its overblown. Fresh oil is better but don't most transmissions need repairs due to failed parts or failed clutches? And not for failed bearings?

Motor oil isn't shot when it turns black.

If it was so important to change the transmission fluid wouldn't it make sense that the manufacturer would make it easy to do FULL drains and re-fills?

WS isn't that great. Any name-brand full synthetic will be much better. In particular, Maxlife is awesome where WS is called for
smile.gif

Good paper although it is for engine oil and not ATF fluid.

For those that don't want to read, here is the research result:

"A fleet of three vehicles was run in Las Vegas and oil samples were collected at various drain intervals from 3000 miles to 15000 miles. As in the previous study, the results showed that the aged engine oils provide lower friction and much improved wear protection capability. These improvements were observed as early as the 3000 mile drain interval and continued to the 15000 mile drain interval. The composition of tribochemical films formed on the surface with the 3000 mile drain interval is similar to that formed with the 12000 mile drain interval as seen before...."

Last edited:
I don't understand why Toyota has a sealed transmission. I was just at the dealer and the Service Rep. laughed when I mentioned a sealed transmission then said " That's why I have a 2012 Tacoma". The more I find out about the complexity of changing the ATF fluid the more I get frustrated
mad.gif

The Rep. also said it takes a special machine to change the fluid and can not be done in my garage or at a mechanic shop.
mad.gif
mad.gif

So, how does one get the debris out of the transmission after 100k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back