Which Michelin tire for 2006 Caddy DTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a customer that dropped his car off and tossed me the keys- he gave me a short list and told me it needs tires. "Put whichever tire on it that you would for your own car" he said. That's a heck of a responsibility!

Lately I've gained appreciation for Michelin products (no, not a fanboi) and have installed a few sets either on customer and family member's cars. In fact, I'll be installing a set of Defender LTXs on our Lincoln when it needs rubber.

All that being said, this guy is a cool cat and I'd like to make sure that he gets the appropriate tire for the best motoring experience. I've been thinking about the Premier- I know that it doesn't have a full tread depth, but this car is garaged in the winter (and they supposedly do well in the snow anyway). Tire size will be 235/55-17. What do you guys think? Is there a more appropriate choice? Also, the primary driver will be his wife.

Lastly, even though the thread title is for Michelin, I would consider other, premium tires too.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
It really depends on what he means by "best". Everybody is different. Personally, if comfort is important, would go with the Mich Primacy or HX MXM4.

Agree, on a Caddy these would work well and look better IMO.

Don't be like one person who had a what Michelin thread and come back a few days from now saying you bought cheap no name tires 99.9% never heard of.

I had Michelin's and went with BF Goodrich and have to say they are a better deal.
They are made by the same manufacturer. I would be more scared of the customer thinking you ripped him off after handing him a bill for 4 michilins.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

They are made by the same manufacturer.

Not really.
That is like inferring firestone and bridgestone are the same tires.

How is it driven? 235/55/17 has TONS of great tire choice.

The premier A/S offer a good blend of Capabilities at a very premium price $187

For the leadfoot you have
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 $140
Pilot Sport A/S3+ $170

For more value
General Altimax RT43 H rated. $115

Definitely stay away from an oem tire such as the Pilot HX MXM4

From our main supplier, I have these available:

-Latitude Tour HP
-Michelin Defender T+H
-Energy Saver A/S
-Premier A/S
-Pilot MXM4

I eliminated some of the options that either had basically no availability or no/low mileage warranties.

Had Primacies, at least OEM ones, and they sucked in snow big time. Short lifespan too, like 30k. I'm also a dissatisfied customer who had a different set dry rot after 4 years on LTX's. Or in other words, they ain't the tire I'd elect to put on any of my vehicles. YMMV.

I like my RT43's but I'm not after much. I believe the Conti's get high marks around here, and might do much better on handling than RT43's. I know it's a Caddy but I'm not sure what the customer would like best.

Premier A/S. I have recommended many sets of these to customers with no complaints. Excellent wet traction performance, ride and low noise.

The newest Defender T+H is supposed to be a revised version of the original Defender. It just came out. Not too familiar with it.

Having been through a few emergency situations with and without performance tires, I no longer believe they're only for people who drive fast. The good ones have low enough NVH and good enough longevity that the quieter/longer-lasting tires just aren't worth it.

For a year-rounder in Iowa: If it sees little or no snow, you might want to consider the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus. Otherwise, it's the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, no question.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't be like one person who had a what Michelin thread and come back a few days from now saying you bought cheap no name tires 99.9% never heard of.

Not gonna happen. I don't do cheap tires anymore. Quality, affordable tire, yes. Not cheap junk though.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I had Michelin's and went with BF Goodrich and have to say they are a better deal.
They are made by the same manufacturer. I would be more scared of the customer thinking you ripped him off after handing him a bill for 4 michilins.

He wouldn't complain- but I also make sure that communications are open.

Originally Posted By: Rand

How is it driven?
235/55/17 has TONS of great tire choice.

The premier A/S offer a good blend of Capabilities at a very premium price $187

For the leadfoot you have
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 $140
Pilot Sport A/S3+ $170

For more value
General Altimax RT43 H rated. $115

Definitely stay away from an oem tire such as the Pilot HX MXM4

The drivers are in their early to mid 60's and not aggressive. Good wet traction, a good ride and a decent tread life are what they'll need.

I think they would really like the Pilot Sport A/S3+. They are extremely quiet with fantastic wet traction. We were very pleased with their predecessor on my wife's Charger.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
The drivers are in their early to mid 60's and not aggressive. Good wet traction, a good ride and a decent tread life are what they'll need.

Performance tires may be short on "decent tread life", at least in the eye of the customer.
I would ask how much they are willing to sacrifice the tread life for better wet traction.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I think they would really like the Pilot Sport A/S3+. They are extremely quiet with fantastic wet traction. We were very pleased with their predecessor on my wife's Charger.

I have had two sets of the AS3, and a set of AS3+, can't stand how loud they are. My winter tires are quieter.

Further to the discussion.

I really like the Premier, but after we have had so many complaints on how fast they wear out, our shop will not sell them anymore. We had an RDX that only went 22k km (14k miles) before they wear down to the wear bars.

Last edited:
I'd throw on either the Defender T+H, Premier A/S or Primacy MXM4s. Unless you can find some serviceable NOS Primacy MXV4s, the Premier A/S doesn't have as much meat as the MXV4s.

Caddies tend to ride softer and "lazier" than their BMW/Lexus/Mercedes counterparts, you can get away with a S/T rated tire, but the liability risk is there. What's on there now for speed rating?

If I wanted to look outside if Michelin, I'd get the General RT43s/Conti TrueContact, Sumitomo HTR A/S P02, or maybe one of the better Kumho options.

Last edited:

I have had two sets of the AS3, and a set of AS3+, can't stand how loud they are. My winter tires are quieter.

Further to the discussion.

I really like the Premier, but after we have had so many complaints on how fast they wear out, our shop will not sell them anymore. We had an RDX that only went 22k km (14k miles) before they wear down to the wear bars.

Was there an alignment issue with the RDX? I got more than that out of the Pilot Super Sport tires I had on my M5....

Strange that you found the A/S's loud, perhaps it's the application? They were quiet on the Charger. Now, the OEM Goodear Eagle RS-A's I had on my SRT were LOUD. They were also hard as hockey pucks. In fact, I don't recall a single endearing quality to that tire, LOL!

[quotes edited]

Strange that you found the A/S's loud, perhaps it's the application? They were quiet on the Charger.

Yeah, gotta be the application. I know several people on the A/S 3 and A/S 3+, and they've all had good things to say about the NVH.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
[quotes edited]

Strange that you found the A/S's loud, perhaps it's the application? They were quiet on the Charger.

Yeah, gotta be the application. I know several people on the A/S 3 and A/S 3+, and they've all had good things to say about the NVH.

Possibly. Both were stock sizes on the stock rims on my Civic and BMW.

Now on my 2nd set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my Lincolns. The first set went 52K miles and was dry cracking at about 10-12 years. The current set is at 25K miles and shows light dry cracking at 3 yrs old. I suspect I'll get 6 yrs/50K miles out of this set too. Have been ok with the handling and comfort of these tires. Very smooth. May not get them the next time around though. The RT43's might be an option.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
[quotes edited]

Possibly. Both were stock sizes on the stock rims on my Civic and BMW.

I think you'd love the Super Sport (or its replacement) on the BMW, based on my experience with them on the M5. They were incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back