Old Stock Fram Tough Guard TG8316 (Circa 2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time cutting open a filter. Used an angle grinder on the crimp seam, which recently saw suggested.

Used this clearance $1.50 Walmart Toughguard TG8316 circa 2003 as a transmission filter for a few thousand miles on my ES300.

This is an engine oil filter and isn't meant for transmission or hydraulic applications. Using it was probably a bad idea in multiple ways (it's old, the anti siphon valve might create backpressure or be too restrictive etc... oh and it was DENTED
mad.gif
), but at least still looks pretty good for something that spent 13 years on a Walmart shelf.

2003 date code.

Bypass valve looks good, and Toughguards of the time featured a screen over it- like you still see in the Fram Racing filters.

hDcGvmU.jpg

ysm1Jh5.jpg

dv1LuP1.jpg

aFZ4ZbI.jpg

httexRu.jpg

lF8EGEe.jpg

Anti siphon valve works well

FWKE9T8.jpg

ADBV really pliable (a tad thin?)

hLouBpm.jpg

Didn't notice that dent till taking this picture. Though I don't think it interfered with the function of the filter.

yOuZ3R1.jpg

Definitely wouldn't have run it had I noticed the dent.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there was enough room under the hood on a ES300 for a filter head and filter for your tranny!!

Do you have install Pics how you had it put in?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I find it interesting how Fram quit using the bypass screen.

It's an added cost.... and doesn't really do anything - EXCEPT in engines that are really, really, really sludged bad, it might MAYBE keep some extremely large debris from getting back into the clean oil side.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I'm surprised there was enough room under the hood on a ES300 for a filter head and filter for your tranny!!
Do you have install Pics how you had it put in?

I mounted the filter in front of the radiator, rigged up a mount using metal from an old external 5.25" floppy drive case, and fixed it in place through existing holes in the hood latch mount(?) with some nuts, washers, and threaded rods. It fits perfectly between the two sections of the bash bar, though I'm sure to get transmission fluid everywhere in the event of a front collision.
Edit: Now that I think about it, there's nothing preventing the filter being dented by road hazards in its current position. I might check the junk yard soon- I think it's missing an under panel.

The coolant loop comes out from the transmission, through the filter, then through a B&M 70264 cooler mounted to the radiator on the drivers side, then back to the return. The radiator's built in transmission cooler has been bypassed and capped off.

(Those aren't boogers, it's Fluid Film.
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Why do this? The built in filters do the job just fine.
This filters finer !

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Used this clearance $1.50 Walmart Toughguard TG8316 circa 2003 as a transmission filter for a few thousand miles on my ES300.

There was no need to change this filter now, nor will there ever be at any point in the future. That filter will last longer than the life of the car/transmission in this application.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Why do this? The built in filters do the job just fine.

Most transmission filters are approx 100 microns, or so I've read.

Yes, they generally do just fine. However, I do a LOT of towing.

I run a Wix 51551 (about the size of an FL-1a or PH8A)

I wanted the extra insurance. The huge Wix should last the life of the truck, easily.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
There was no need to change this filter now, nor will there ever be at any point in the future. That filter will last longer than the life of the car/transmission in this application.
You're absolutely right.

I just opened up the first filter I used in this application (will make a thread later, Hiflofiltro HF163 ca. 2010) and did find a little discoloration of the filter media, but it looked about as pristine as this Toughguard. The XG16 I've got on it now will definitely stay there till at least the next ATF flush.

When I first installed the spin on filter, I decided to change between different filters and work up the "ladder" of filtering efficiency. as it were. Yes, this is wasteful and I now know to be ill conceived considering how filtering beta ratios actually work. This kind of thing happens when one needlessly overthinks things, and has a bunch of cheap clearance oil filters in one's stash that will otherwise last till 2022.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back