Does the dash really need UV protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Ford Edge and it has that rubber and plastic dash. My previous vehicle was an '02 Envoy and I used Armor-All or Meguiar's on it religiously to get the UV protection so that it wouldn't fade or crack, and when I got rid of it the dash looked as good as new.

I was wondering if the newer vehicles dashes require the same amount of UV protection because the dealer told me just to use a detailer cleaner, which has no UV protection in it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I just don't want to put something on it that isn't needed, but if it is I want to make sure I put it on. If it matters I do plan on having this vehicle for at least 10 years or more.

I always use aerospace 303 on all my cars. I dont know if it really helps or not as I have not had any new cars long enough. I do no the dash on my truck is cracked but it never got so much as a cleaning. I would advise to use a windshield shade at all times. I do that. I am not convinced any product can fully protect from the sun besides keeping it out of the sun which is impossible unless its a garage queen.

I can't say I really know the answer, but I remember people's dashes splitting and lifting within a couple of years for some vehicles in TX when I lived there...I'm sure some of that is just plain heat, but I'd think an ounce of prevention is well worth it down there even if vehicles are probably made much better these days (the Chevy Cavalier/Beretta was notorious for this problem when I was in TX, but they were not of great quality in general). I didn't have trouble with my CRX, but I only had it for 2-3 years down there and parked in a garage at work and under a canopy at my apartment. Is your Edge going to be sitting in the hot sun during the day, or will it be under cover?

I honestly didn't think this was a problem on vehicles under 25 years of age.
21.gif

303 is very good. Some of the older shines.. esp armor all would actually hurt more than help over time.

I don't think the "protection" is required. Dashboards are made of very different materials than they were as short as twenty years ago. I've been told that once you start using protectant you're stuck HAVING to use it forever. That could be a wives' tale. My car pretty much stays indoors all the time now (parking garage at work, garage at home). When I do park in the sun I use a windshield sun shade to keep the interior cooler and I have UV blocking tint of the rest of the windows. All I use to maintain the dash in my 2012 Mazda3 is a wool duster and a damp microfiber towel. My 89 Accord did have one of those older type dashes with the vinyl top layer and foam underlayer. Those would crack if you didn't shield them or use protectant.

It's really debatable regarding the long term benefits. I don't see any disadvantages in using it however aside from having to purchase a bottle a year.

I'll use them every few months myself but I mainly use those light deflector mats.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I honestly didn't think this was a problem on vehicles under 25 years of age.
21.gif

Dash cracks in hot climate - outdoor kept 1998-2002 GM F bodies is pretty common. I would suspect such problems carried forward for at least some time after that. I've always used dash pads and/or window shades when the car is directly out in the sun for more than an hour. No doubt this is a much bigger problem in TX, AZ and FL than it is in MI or CT.

I have bought some cars from AZ and TX, all had cracking or fading of the dash, upper door panels, rear shelf and droopy headliners, the glue just turns to powder.
Still, I rather deal with that any day than terminal cancer of the shell.

The big disadvantage of using protectant, if you use the type that adds any gloss, is the annoying - and potentially dangerous - reflection of the dash from the inside of the windshield assaulting your eyes.

I thought all vehicles in the last 20 years have UV protection already on the glass? ...that why it has a slight blue tint?

Last edited:
If is bad and all, but the sun will still heat up your dash to over 150 degrees f in just a few minutes. Use a sun shade, window tint can be a pain, but is also an effective way to minimize temp/uv damage.

Yes, UV protection will help, but the last thing you want is the [censored] stuff like Armor All that outgasses and actually causes the plastics to deteriorate faster.

There are tons of quality products out there that leave a matte finish and have almost no odor. Nextzett/Einszett and Sonax both come to mind and can be had on Amazon for the same price as the off-the-shelf stuff from Mothers, Meguiars, etc.

It is true that glass will provide some degree of protection, but it is not 100% and the sauna effect of the car heating up accelerates things.

Buy a dash cover. I always buy one from either Dash Design or from Dash Mat. Never had problems with either company. One bit of advice. Order the least expensive material in black. I once ordered velour. Mistake. Also once ordered a color other than black. Mistake, as anything other than the cheapest material in black will reflect in the windshield. One more bit of advice. Cut the hole around any Dash sensor, slightly larger than supplied. I've been using a dash cover on every car I've owned since 1983. Never had problems.

Originally Posted By: aznboi24
I have my front windshield tinted 80%. Keeps the interior cooler and 99% UV protection. I use a sunshade as well.

Same. Llumar Blue Air 80 on all my windshields. Can't even tell it's there, cuts out the UV and noticeably cooler.

All I can say is be VERY skeptical of any claims of UV protection by any manufacturer. So called "UV protection" is probably one of the more bogus claims by many manufacturers in the detailing industry. I own a detail shop and if I use anything on my dash, it is something like 1Z cockpit premium, and I'm using it more for the cleaning ability then the so called UV protection. Never had any issues with any of my dashes and my cars are parked outside 24/7.

I've been using Allbrite Plastic, Rubber and Leather Conditioner with some very good results, both for interior trim and for tires. There's no glycerin in it, which means it does not fog up the glass and it's not greasy so it doesn't attract dust. The interior of my 18 year old Pajero is like brand new, no cracks and no color fade. The glue on the headliner was an issue at one point, but there's only so much you can do about that. The sun here is extremely brutal to say the least. It doesn't promise any "protection" per say, but it does clean and condition which I think is sufficient. I agree with FastEddie on UV protection claims from many off the shelf products.

Other than that, I've got Hüper Optik X3 ceramic window film; Ceramic C40 on all glass except the windshield, which has Ceramic C70 installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back