Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I've been reading some of the threads on here regarding this oil and others in the Pennzoil line, but still have some questions regarding the stuff. I know very little about Pennzoil products in particular as I've never used the stuff, but I have been contemplating using PUP in my 2017 Hyundai Elantra.

If I've read everything right, the PUP used to be Pennzoil Ultra (blackish bottle) and then switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum recently (right about the time Pennzoil switched to all yellow bottles). Has anyone found any difference between the two products? I know Pennzoil Ultra was highly regarded and recommended, but I haven't heard much about this new formulation other than the NOACK increased dramatically (from about 5-6% to 11.5%). I don't know much about NOACK and why it matters as I'm still new this stuff, but do we expect the PUP stuff to be as good as the original Ultra?

I'm guessing Pennzoil is marketing their Ultra Platinum as a step above their Platinum line, but does anyone know what the Ultra Platinum is supposed to do that the Platinum doesn't? They are both PurePlus, however they don't advertise the 25% cleaning on the Platinum which I guess is the main difference?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a ton of PUP out there. None of my local haunts have them (AAP, O'R and WallyWorld) although they have plenty of the Platinum and it seems that the only place I can get it is Amazon. Is this because of the pending DEXOS 2 conversion or is this just because it's a newer product?

Sorry for all the questions!

I'd say you should probably look at PU and PUP as totally different products, having dramatically different NOACK losses (measuring the tendency of the oil to vaporize at very high temperature) is a likely sign that the base stocks are different. It does seem like the marketing difference between the present Platinum and Ultra Platinum lines is the supposed better cleaning from the latter, but I doubt you're going to see any testing related to what the difference might be from anybody but SOPUS.
The modern Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum lines are both advertised as using Gas To Liquid (GTL) base stocks and there is supposition that the availability issues might related to production problems at the Pearl GTL plant in Qatar.

I have been using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum just about since it came on the market. As you say, the black bottles, then the silver bottles, and now the yellow ones. My cars range from 1986 to 2006 and I have had no engine related issues. The Blackstone oil analysis has been very good. So I plan to continue with this oil, that is if I can find it. For the last two plus years the only place that sells it is Amazon. I don't understand what is going on at Pennzoil marketing and distribution but if they want to sell a product, the customer has to be able to find it.

Do you happen to have a UOA from the new Ultra Platinum formulation? I'd love to see the results!

PUP supply has always been a problem. Really off and on, mostly off!
Once in a while Walmart will have some online for cheap, and I ordered a few 5-quart jugs a while back that way.

From a VOA/UOA, PUP has more boron compounds. Its likely where the extra piston cleaning comes from, along with maybe more anti-oxidants.
Maybe base oil is different from Platinum, not sure (percentage PAO, if any, for example, or % esters, if any...).

I consider it about on par with Castrol Edge gold jug Extended Performance (EP) or Mobil1 EP, both easily obtained. Note Pennz never compares their Ultra's cleaning performance with those specific products.

Pennzoil only claims PUP keeps pistons cleaner than regular M1, their own Platinum, and Valvoline Synpower.
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/power-pennzoil-synthetics/cleanerpistons.html
When they were a sponsor on this forum, there was a QandA where they stated the Ultra was their effort for better cleaning, that is it.

I have 12 5quart bottles of PUP 5w20 and 3 of the 5w30. I was able to get them for 20 bucks a piece so I am happy.

Don't really know much about this oil and wish Pennzoil still listed the current NOAK, I cant seem to find it anywhere.

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1951595pdf?$PDF$

That should open a Pennzoil PDF stating the new PUP characteristics including NOACK which is listed at 11.5%.

One thing people don't always consider is spot oil temps in an engine compared to "overall" engine oil temp. I have been privy to monitoring engines with oil temp sensors all over the place, and believe me there are some places that oil temp gets really high.

No, I worked for the U.S. Navy and Union Pacific, among others. One of the engines with sensors I was referring to was the prototype General Electric Evo engines from 2003. They removed the sensors for the production 2005's and up. That said, I much prefer working on big engines, rather than small.

Last edited:
January 2017 report, Jeep 4.0L 45,000 miles, 3,000 miles/8 months on PUP 10w-30 oil:

0 ppm: chromium, lead, nickel, manganese, silver, potassium, barium, antifreeze, water.

PPM: aluminum 2, iron 12, copper 2, tin 1, moly 65, titanium 2, boron 82, silicon 5, sodium 3, calcium 2255, magnesium 17,
phosphorous 778, zinc 912, SUS 59.8, cST 10.17, flashpoint 445, fuel less than 0.5, insoluble 0.1

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
One thing people don't always consider is spot oil temps in an engine compared to "overall" engine oil temp. I have been privy to monitoring engines with oil temp sensors all over the place, and believe me there are some places that oil temp gets really high.

True. I would love to stick a temp sensor on the turbo oil drain tube in my car. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets north of 400F when on throttle a lot.

Originally Posted By: Building3
January 2017 report, Jeep 4.0L 45,000 miles, 3,000 miles/8 months on PUP 10w-30 oil:

0 ppm: chromium, lead, nickel, manganese, silver, potassium, barium, antifreeze, water.

PPM: aluminum 2, iron 12, copper 2, tin 1, moly 65, titanium 2, boron 82, silicon 5, sodium 3, calcium 2255, magnesium 17,
phosphorous 778, zinc 912, SUS 59.8, cST 10.17, flashpoint 445, fuel less than 0.5, insoluble 0.1

Awesome, thank you!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: JustN89
Do you happen to have a UOA from the new Ultra Platinum formulation? I'd love to see the results!

PUP 5w30 10,000+ mile run 2004 Lexus ES330

That's a link to a UOA of PUP in my Lexus. Run with a Fram Ultra filter. Report includes TBN TAN and a Particle count.

I have actually stumbled upon your thread. Those are really good results! Those 2GR engines wear really well.

Awesome, thank you!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

PUP 5w30 10,000+ mile run 2004 Lexus ES330

That's a link to a UOA of PUP in my Lexus. Run with a Fram Ultra filter. Report includes TBN TAN and a Particle count.

I have actually stumbled upon your thread. Those are really good results! Those 2GR engines wear really well.

If you're referring to my Lexus it does not have a 2GR engine. It has a 3MZ-FE engine. 3.3 L DOHC with a timing belt.

January 2017 report, 3,000 miles/8 months on PUP 10w-30 oil:

That oil didn't need to be drained, at all. No way, no how.

Lol, not sure why I thought it was the 2GR. It says 3MZ on the report.. my bad.

Hey everyone,

If I've read everything right, the PUP used to be Pennzoil Ultra (blackish bottle) and then switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum recently (right about the time Pennzoil switched to all yellow bottles). Has anyone found any difference between the two products? I know Pennzoil Ultra was highly regarded and recommended, but I haven't heard much about this new formulation other than the NOACK increased dramatically (from about 5-6% to 11.5%). I don't know much about NOACK and why it matters as I'm still new this stuff, but do we expect the PUP stuff to be as good as the original Ultra?

So are you saying that the formulation of the old PUP in the black'ish bottle is different than that in the new Yellow bottles?
I still see some of the black bottled PUP - which is obviously old stock on the shelf.

We have started getting a good supply of the PUP up here in Canada, but only at 1 major retailer (Canadian Tire). Walmart only carries Pennzoil Platinum as their premium pennzoil oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back