Wallerawang Power Station - Video on the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
This place was a large part of my engineering career...
* The big dome and associate coal handling facilites (0:40 sec) I built in the late '90s.
* the closest boiler at (0:50), I was project manager for the 9 month mid life refurb in 1994/95.
* the turbine at 1:38 was the one that I was handed in 2001, in pieces on the floor after a pretty bad blade failure, and my first minute as turbine engineer was "your got 4 weeks to get it back together.

It wasn't a viable proposition with the market the way it was 4 years ago and was closed.

Please, no political stuff...it's history, and the Owners released this for the community.

141 hectares is about 325 acres,

I would use some of the land for a solar power farm...

Good way to reuse some of the more contaminated areas of the site...

Thank you for the video. Ironically, today's Wall St. Journal has article about power shortage over there because of selling too much LPG overseas.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Thank you for the video. Ironically, today's Wall St. Journal has article about power shortage over there because of selling too much LPG overseas.

There's a whole lot more to it than the gas sales, but yes, Natural Gas sales overseas with none held for domestic consumption has seen the price more than double, and shortages...in some states, their gas turbines have been fed diesel as it's cheaper.

A salute to the folks that bring us electrical power.
I was born the same year that plat was established.
I see a lot of personal growth in the folks involved with the plant.
I admire the responsibility the people are exercising in the decommissioning of the plant.
Times change, good luck to the folks of the Wallerawang Power Station.

Thanks for posting.

Rick,
the two units there were "C" station, the two 500MW units, first one done in 1976, the second a few years later.

"A" Station was originally a couple of 30MW Units...built at the establishment stage quoted in the vids.
"B" Station was 4x60MW units built later

Thus "C" Station being Units 7 and 8.

The Guy in the right (of your screen) in the thumbnail preview was the civil engineering manager of A and B Station demolition back in the '90s...was a pleasure to see him back again

I used to work with the folks on the scheduling/trading side of power and the folks who work in the power industry know their stuff. Certainly not an industry where you can pretend to do your job and get by.

A lot of the schedulers started out in the plants working odd shifts and through time and experience made their way into a much more comfortable office job. They all had great stories about working in the plants though.

What's the plan to replace that 1,000MW of baseload? I heard them touch on hydro at the end, is that the thought?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the plan to replace that 1,000MW of baseload?

Plan ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What's the plan to replace that 1,000MW of baseload?

Plan ?

LOL!
grin.gif
Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back