What causes alignment/cam bolts to seize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find a satisfying answer to this question on the internet, so I pose it to you... what causes those cam alignment bolts to freeze inside the bushing? I've worked on plenty of cars; old, rusty ones too, and I've never really had an issue getting big suspension bolts out. Enough PB Blaster and a long breaker bar will solve any problem.

But now I have to replace one of the rear lateral links on the Sedona, and one end is secured by a cam bolt to set the toe in/out. I've heard numerous horror stories about these bolts in particular being absolutely seized to the bushing they pass through, but I can't think of a logical reason why these would freeze more so than a regular bolt. Wouldn't the 'cammed' portion actually provide less metal-to-metal contact, making it easier to remove? Just curious. I've done some work on this van lately, and all bolts have been nearly rust-free and came out easily, even some very large ones. But the cam bolt seems quite rusty in contrast
confused2.gif

I'm thinking that it's a perfect storm of two washers allowing moisture to get trapped in the sleeve, combined with the extra 'space' around the bolt due to its shape that allows a whole pile of moisture, sand, salt, crud etc to works its way in and get stuck there.

Or maybe whomever's supplying all of these cam bolts is doing a [censored] job of treating them for corrosion resistance.

I've had the same experience too, when all the other bolts come out, the cam bolts get stuck and need a torch and some hammer persuasion.

Did the van ever get an alignment in its life? Most techs will torque things down by hand as not to disturb the cams once set, but don't rule out the fact impact tools might be used.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Did the van ever get an alignment in its life? Most techs will torque things down by hand as not to disturb the cams once set, but don't rule out the fact impact tools might be used.

It's been been aligned once since I bought it (I think). But if the rear toe wasn't out of spec, they wouldn't have been touched.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
When doing repairs, I pack these gaps with antiseize to help keep bolts from freezing in their sleeves.

I'll be slathering the cammed portion with some moly grease when I put it back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back