Galil ACE 556 mini review w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot a Galil ACE in 556 at our local rifle match Saturday and have a few observations:

1) This rifle fits me. It doesn't feel like a 8lb (loaded) rifle when shouldered and shooting.
2) Ergonomics are great. All of the controls are easily reachable, if you're right handed like me.
3) Had 1 stoppage (FTEject) during the match out of about 120 rounds fired. If this keeps up I will be sending it back for warranty repair.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. During zeroing before the match I was getting groups in the 2MOA range with 55gr ammo. I tried some SS109 and 75gr OTM too but it was too windy for me to make any general statements about accuracy.

That said, here are the pics. The rifle has about 500 rounds on it at this point.

9ParQHo.jpg

v12sF0h.jpg

Bolt hold open detail
oIZZVxC.jpg

Detail of FCG and BHO
JH8O7nj.jpg

Bolt face
4ClzrdL.jpg

Chamber and gas tube detail
Np0GyQX.jpg

Detail of handguard hanger
c9jMfG1.jpg

Detail of left side safety connection and stock knuckle attachment to receiver
fvMJlcy.jpg

Detail of wobble plate interior
V29czqO.jpg

BSW

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Very nice. I want one so badly, but they are a bit too rich for my blood at this point by about 400 bucks.

$1500 ain't chump change, to be sure. But: used IMI Galils sell for $3000+, for 30 year old, used rifles. These are new, factory supported, warrantied, ergonomically improved (assuming you're right handed), and weigh less than the originals.

Plus they use common STANAG mags.

I suspect that IMI won't have much trouble moving inventory with these.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Very nice. I want one so badly, but they are a bit too rich for my blood at this point by about 400 bucks.

$1500 ain't chump change, to be sure. But: used IMI Galils sell for $3000+, for 30 year old, used rifles. These are new, factory supported, warrantied, ergonomically improved (assuming you're right handed), and weigh less than the originals.

Plus they use common STANAG mags.

I suspect that IMI won't have much trouble moving inventory with these.

BSW

They would have sold like MAD before the election...now there is a slump on (not as steep as expected, but still there. Don't believe me, look at all the sales and rebates going on). This is on my list of "when I win some money" guns along with an AUG and Tavor/XM95.

Originally Posted By: billt460
These, along with the Bulgarian milled receiver Arsenal models, are the cream of the crop of AK platform rifles. I love the Galil Ace .308 Pistol with the stabilizing brace, (AKA legal shoulder stock). But $2K is a lot of coin.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Defau...p;zipcode=85307

Well especially now that the Molot Vepr rifles were added to the no import ban list last month.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Way too much money. You're paying for a name at this point.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Looking at the receiver, it shows top notch machining, with zero tool marks anywhere. That can only be accomplished with very sharp, coated tools. Coupled with fine finishing cuts at reduced feed rates. That all translates into more time. And time is money in manufacturing. Especially time on multi million dollar, computerized machining centers. Also, there isn't a burr present anywhere. Which means more time spent hand finishing and deburring. Most mating surfaces of moving parts that are shown in the photos, also show a very high degree of polish.

Everything on that rifle shows meticulous attention to precise detail. It is very difficult to find that on military grade battle rifles today. While both of my milled receiver Arsenal AK platform rifles show very good workmanship, they are not on the level shown by these new Galil models. The high price reflects this. Yes, a lot of people will pass because of the price. But that in itself does not spell rip off. The people who shell out this kind of coin for a battle rifle, are going to be the one's who can understand and appreciate what has gone into it's manufacturing.

More pics! I want an Ace so bad. I have a SCAR 17, AK 47, AK 74, and 2 ARs, but I want an Ace. Can't decide which caliber.

Way too much money. You're paying for a name at this point.

Seems if you slap "Made in Israel" on anything you can charge way too much money. I honestly don't know why. As a historical piece the Galil is interesting. As a fighting rifle it's a heavy, glorified AK47 and the ACE modifications kill the classic Galil look, which is the only thing of interest to me.

Last edited:
To the contemporary American gun market, Israeli manufactured items are Veblen goods [status symbols], like Harley-Davidson motorcycles. IMO.

Took a few more pics of some of the engineering detail work on the Galil ACE 556.

BSW

Bolt face detail. IWI is using a AK74esque extractor design.
5B3IqwP.jpg

Side of bolt. I'm making an assumption that the dot10 marking is used to match bolts to the trunnion and barrel to set headspace when the rifles are being built up initially.
GV9D94t.jpg

Inside view of dust cover. You can see the screws for attaching the rail and where weld has been ground down for clearance. Also visible is the weld for the rear sigh attachment and the pin that retains the rear sight as well as the rear reinforcing strip.
j7Y6DU4.jpg

Views of dust cover with rear sight removed. You can see the grub screw that used to apply tension to the rail to force it forward so that it mates tightly with the gas tube. Also viable is a spring that loads the rear sight, I'm assuming for repeatability.
2bjoASk.jpg

6plG4QI.jpg

Recoil spring assembly details. The hard rubber buffer is OEM, as is the much softer gasket that keeps oil and gas out of your eye.
QAo1YIc.jpg

tulLgix.jpg

JGoxQsJ.jpg

NKf2XSc.jpg

Rear sight details. The sight is marked for 300 and 500, with tiny apertures for both. The 300 marking also has tritium lamps, as does the front sight.
KGyHYWN.jpg

Underside of the rear sight, showing the retaining pin and the spring washer under the sight screw.
7kjFBBf.jpg

To the contemporary American gun market, Israeli manufactured items are Veblen goods [status symbols], like Harley-Davidson motorcycles. IMO.

By that standard, everyone that wants to shoot a rifle chambered in 556 NATO should sell everything that isn't a $400 AR15.

BSW

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Seems if you slap "Made in Israel" on anything you can charge way too much money.

Not true at all. You can buy IWI 100% all steel Jerico semi auto pistols in both 9 MM and .45 ACP for under $600.00 today. They are very well made, and run as or more reliably than any gun on the market in it's class. And the Israeli manufactured Desert Eagle Pistols sell for the same amount as those that are manufactured in Pillager, Minnesota. I paid less than $500.00 for this when I bought it. The fact IWI manufactured it did nothing to the price.

OJgnedi.jpg

The evolution of the Galil is an interesting story, starting with the AK-47, moving to the Finnish Valmet and the South African R5. IMI was able to license the design from South Africa and refined it into the Galil. I've always found IMI/IWI products to be very high quality and good value for the money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: txchief
The evolution of the Galil is an interesting story, starting with the AK-47, moving to the Finnish Valmet and the South African R5. IMI was able to license the design from South Africa and refined it into the Galil. I've always found IMI/IWI products to be very high quality and good value for the money.

I'm not a expert or anything, but my recollection is that IMI started the design work that became the Galil with close cooperation from Valmet. Later the SADF licensed the Galil design as the R4/5 series, during the arms embargo.

BSW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back