Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 Synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was looking at the oils at AAP web site and noticed it says "Synthetic blend" for this oil, when did this come about? i thought it was always a conventional.

Delvac 1300

Why don't you explain the difference between "conventional" and "synthetic blend"?

Maybe you can answer your own question.

What's interesting is that at my local wally world, you can get a jug of Castrol HDEO (Tection) for around the normal price for a gallon. For $1 more, you can get a jug of Castrol Hypuron (if I'm not mistaken) HDEO that identifies itself on the jug as a synthetic blend.

I think it's a fair question if the oils are distinguishing themselves from one another (in the case of castrol) and from previous versions in the case of the Mobil product.

The mobil site says the oil includes "severely hydroprocessed base stocks".

If I remember my chemistry, I think they are referring to "de-hydration synthesis", in which long hydrocarbon chains are made by linking up shorter ones by with the byproduct of OH or H20.

This sounds like a process for creating a synthetic base stock from something less to me, if my assumptions are correct (though I have no evidence).

Most of us would agree that the Delvac 1300 Super is conventional "dino" oil.

They also have the Delvac 1 PAO synthetic.

I don't think they market a "semi-syn".

Originally Posted By: sven98
AAP is totally wrong. If you click on Specs, they also list it as High Mileage Oil. Boo

Yes i seen that,i know it's conventional so i knew it was wrong.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
The mobil site says the oil includes "severely hydroprocessed base stocks".

If I remember my chemistry, I think they are referring to "de-hydration synthesis", in which long hydrocarbon chains are made by linking up shorter ones by with the byproduct of OH or H20.

This sounds like a process for creating a synthetic base stock from something less to me, if my assumptions are correct (though I have no evidence).

Severely Hydroprocessed is Group 2 or 2+ possibly. Hydrofinished and hydrotreated is also Group 2 variant. Severely Hydrocracked i believe is Group 3.

Last edited:
It’s a great question. Mobil’s full synthetic diesel engine oil is Delvac 1 ESP. Mobil’s semi-synthetic diesel engine oil is Delvac Elite. Mobil’s high performance conventional diesel engine oil is Delvac 1300 Super.

Delvac 1300 Super is marketed by Mobil as a premium quality conventional diesel engine oil. However, the product could be labeled a semi-synthetic if Mobil chose to market is as such. Some oil manufacturers consider severely hydro-processed base oils to be “synthetic”. In the United States, the courts have ruled that oil manufactured from severely hydro processed base stocks may be labeled “synthetic”. Delvac 1300 Super is manufactured from severely hydro-processed base oils. However, Mobil does not consider severely hydro-processed base oils to be a “true” synthetic and therefore Delvac 1300 Super is NOT marketed as a semi-synthetic engine oil.

Traditionally, lubricants made with a base stock consisting primarily of polyalphaolefins (PAO) were synthetic. PAOs have significant performance capabilities over other base oil types. PAOS (or Group IV base stocks) are manufactured in an expensive process that results is a lube that is very stable at high and low temperatures.

What matters most is not the type of base oil in the product. What matters is how the oil performs. A product labeled as “semi-synthetic” may actually perform worse than a premium quality conventional oil.

So, what is the drain interval on the 1300? Also, we have a brand new Lonestar, 2017. The recommended oil sticker on the engine says Shell Rotella Conventional, but we want to go to Mobile Delvac. Would we be better off switching to a full or semi synthetic blend oil?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Most of us would agree that the Delvac 1300 Super is conventional "dino" oil.

They also have the Delvac 1 PAO synthetic.

I don't think they market a "semi-syn".

Mobil does make a synthetic blend Delvac in the Elite, with the move to CK-4, it has been renamed Extreme.
I can understand why you would think they don't market a "semi-syn. I have never seen it in person in any of the stores. Delvac 1300 Super is pretty much everywhere. I have been looking around for the Elite for a couple of years now. If it wasn't listed on their website, you wouldn't know they made it. The Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 used to be hard to find as well, then, a couple of years ago, Meijer started carrying it, then Rural King, and even Advance Auto is carrying it now.

It would be nice for the 10W-30 Extreme to become available locally, I would like to use it in our equipment that calls for 30 weight. Or even the Delvac 1 5W-30, nobody around here carries it though.

Last edited:
I started off using Delvac Super 1300 15w40 in my Series 60 Detroit; and I used Delvac Elite 10W30 during winter. I had excellent results with both. I switched over to Delo products last winter, only because Delo 400 XLE 10W30 is available at Wal-Mart at good prices, but if Wal-Mart stocked Delvac Extreme 10W30, I'd still be using Delvac products in my Semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back